Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom LIVE Services Grow in 2011
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom LIVE Services Grow in 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
.......For example I was travelling along the M3/A3/M25/M4 yesterday and whenever there was a lane split and we were meant to go straight on, the Go940 told us about it, but the GO1000 didn't bother.

Whilst I agree that it's nice to be kept informed, isn't that just information overload? Many, many years ago my driving instructor used to say "Keep straight ahead unless told otherwise".

Merry Christmas One and All. (hic!)
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Sounds like there must be loads. Do you want to list all the ones that are better than TT in the UK?

Exactly, thats my point. This site has become a slag off for the 1000 series and the biggest mouthpiece is dennis, nothing changed there.Tom Tom are still up there, although i do agree they are fast losing their pinnacle. Darren is right when he says that TomTom need to go back to what they do best and cut out the gimmicktry.
As for 2216 you dropkick i drive as many miles as you per week and i really have no problem with traffic, ok perhaps the odd illusion of a problem but i have a brain in my head and like the manta from this site previously, sat navs are an aid to your navigation, not the be all and end all.

merry Christmas to you all, and if santa brings me a 1005, shall i shoot him?
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
I wondered why i pay little attention to what goes on on this site anymore.
Here is the reason, what was a good informative site, and for the most part, still is, it has also become a graveyard for the whinegers and moaners going over the same old....same old.
As 2216 rightly says "simple really"
if you dont like TomTom traffic then go and buy another satnav....jeez there's enough out there.

I am pointing out good infomation that for me as a paying traffic subscriber it isn't as good as it was , this can be used by people when they part with thier hard earned cash. If I hadn't parted with my cash I would not care a monkies.

Also what is a dropkick? Doesn't sound very nice does it.
avdl1999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure what has happened on here?

As for 'dropkick' from LesP. How is this a helpful or indeed warranted comment??

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dropkick

Back to the thread..............I have a problem with my go1000. I feel it's a much overrated and unreliable device. I prefer the older Go540. Hopefully the Live services will improve/work correctly in 2012.

There I've said something negative. Am I a whinger and moaner too LesP??

To all the Mods and respectful people on here................Merry Christmas and a happy new year!!

Andy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And at that point, with a final plea for people to KEEP IT POLITE I think we'll draw this to a close.
Go do something more important for a day or two... Smile
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, I am a whinger! Rolling Eyes

I have this strong belief in receiving services or goods I have paid for.

If my car came back from a service and was limited to 50mph I would complain. If SKY restricted my viewing to 5 channels I would complain. And so would anyone.

Therefore, why is it wrong in forums to complain about the appalling level of TomTom Live Services and restriction of HD traffic service, TomTom are selective when it comes to customer support.

TomTom continue to advertise HD Traffic Services as " Get the most up-to-date traffic information available for your route, live on your TomTom LIVE device with TomTom HD Traffic."

This has not be true for over 12 months now!

How has this site become a "slag off for the 1000 series" if is not doing what it is supposed to do. Surely pointing out the continous ongoing failure of TomTom, to support the device to achieve all the functions it is supposed to do and what it was purchased for is informing customers and potential customers !

If the device is failing to perform, then it is rght that the failures be highlighted. After all the service have been paid for.

TomTom have for 1 year chosen to disregard customer concerns and only pay lip service to reinstating services paid for, therefore, why should it not be brought to the attention of users who may be in ignorance.

It should be borne in mind the very people 'slagging off' devices and services and quite rightly so in my opinion, have been long term users and voiciferous supporters of TomTom.[/i]
[/b]
GO 920 Dead
tomtom_shareholder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/AMCS/post/2011/12/20/TomTom-is-helping-the-world-see-the-mobile-device-as-an-enhancement-to-driving-not-a-distraction.aspx

TomTom Demonstrates the Power and Differentiating Relevance of Mobile Devices in Cars

TomTom continues to cut a swath of innovation in the midst of a high wire rewiring of its business in the face of declining portable navigation device demand. The latest announcement from the company – hidden in a whirlwind of repetitive press releases about adding HD Traffic users and miles of mapped roads – describes a collaboration with Vialis, a variable message sign (VMS) traffic information provider, in The Netherlands to communicate traffic routing information from TomTom’s cloud-based traffic service to the Vialis signs.

The announcement reflects similar moves by Inrix in the U.S. to integrate cloud-based, crowd-sourced real-time traffic data, derived from mobile devices, with roadside infrastructure. Vialis says that to enable their AMS solution with TomTom they created a standard interface to integrate TomTom traffic data into the central system which controls all signs in The Netherlands.

The objective of the TomTom deployment is to provide the city of Purmerend with real-time traffic information to optimize traffic flow. In particular, journey time information will be displayed on the highway message screen advising drivers of the quickest way out of the city onto the A7 highway.

Now, let’s set aside the real-time aspect of this solution and the fact that Inrix is providing a similar service for municipalities all along the Route 95 corridor in the U.S. The real significance of this deployment lies in a few key facts.

1) Local governments are recognizing the critical and intrinsic value of crowd-sourced data derived from mobile devices being used in cars.

2) The quality and accuracy of this data is sufficient to qualify for use as a public service.

3) In fact, the data derived from mobile devices is superior to and an invaluable enhancement to the information derived from cameras and fixed sensors of various types.

4) TomTom still has a unique value proposition in its cloud-based, crowd-sourced HD Traffic solution which may soon find its way into new markets globally.

The U.S. and European integration of mobile-device-based traffic information is a significant manifestation of the powerful cooperation to be derived from the use of mobile devices in cars. This is, of course, saying nothing about the value of mobile devices for reporting incident information including inputs directly from crash scene regarding the nature of the incident and condition of potential victims – and, of course, location.

The VMS scheme in The Netherlands makes use of TomTom’s HD Route Times, a turnkey solution for real time travel and delay times for a specific route either on a temporary basis or for permanent solutions. The cloud-based service benefits from consumer and fleet inputs of vehicle probe data as well as user reports of roadway changes.

TomTom also leverages its historical congestion data to help planners structure their road infrastructure most effectively. This should lead to fewer traffic jams, less expenditure and lower CO2 emissions, the company says. TomTom offers its feed in XML file delivery format and updates every minute by fusing multiple data sources. To facilitate its work with municipalities, TomTom offers fast set up and temporary installations.

The TomTom and Inrix initiatives reflect a wider movement of mobile-device-based data into different traffic platforms on the Internet, on television, radio and in cars and on mobile phones. Los Angeles traffic authorities involved Waze, for example, as part of a consumer information campaign during a recent highway shut down in Los Angeles for construction. Waze provided information regarding preferred routes to drivers via their mobile devices and on television.

Implications

Mobile devices are increasingly recognized by transportation executives around the world as valuable sources of traffic and travel information in real time. As efforts increase to communicate valuable traffic information to drivers to better manage traffic on major highways and around large urban areas, floating car data from mobile devices are an essential tool to increase awareness of overall traffic conditions.

Floating car data from mobile devices integrated with infrastructure-based systems for communicating with drivers will help turn the tide of growing fuel consumption and CO2 emissions from vehicles stuck in traffic. The next step will be to improve predictive traffic solutions to better anticipate traffic conditions rather than simply responding to real time developments.

Mobile device inputs should also help to identify incidents and speed the process of clearing those incidents. Major initiatives are under way around the world to improve the process of clearing stalled or damaged vehicles and injured passengers to restore the flow of traffic.

Finally, TomTom's traffic and routing expertise are critical differentiators in a consolidating navigation industry. The proliferation of public partnerships will alter the competitive landscape.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, mate, I got lost at "cloud-based, crowd-sourced" - sort of reminded me of "red lorry, yellow lorry".

Reminds me of all the spam posts I've been deleting on another forum, unrelenting.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very good, and I applaud TT for its development and forward thinking.

It still does nothing for existing subscribers of TT's LIVE service who have been suffering a degradation in service for over a year whilst TT still take their money.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
.......For example I was travelling along the M3/A3/M25/M4 yesterday and whenever there was a lane split and we were meant to go straight on, the Go940 told us about it, but the GO1000 didn't bother.

Whilst I agree that it's nice to be kept informed, isn't that just information overload? Many, many years ago my driving instructor used to say "Keep straight ahead unless told otherwise".

I agree there is no need for it if there is a simple slip road exit, but I think it's useful in situations where one whole lane actually splits off.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see TomTom's data being picked up and used for other purposes, which is nice and good for them, but it doesn't help the long distance UK driver. My analysis that I posted at http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/LIVE-Services-HD-Traffic-and/HD-Traffic-Reduced-Range-UK-amp-EU-Unacceptable/td-p/107377/page/4 concludes that the only reason that TomTom's service is not working well for us is that they have reached a data limit with the cell provider and cannot/won't agree on new terms. And given that, putting information on signs that don't need cell service would seem a good way of pretending to provide the service while not actually doing so.

Me, I want to go back to the original distance that we used to get. HD traffic is a fantastic system, but the PNDs need to be able to get the full capability, and not some cut down compromise.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: