Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPaq & BT GPRS with Nokia 6600 - How?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPaq & BT GPRS with Nokia 6600 - How?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sn0rg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: iPaq & BT GPRS with Nokia 6600 - How? Reply with quote

I want to get TT Traffic (I have TomTom Nav 3 BT + iPaq 4150). I use a Nokia 6600 (with Bluetooth) phone.

I can't find a tutorial on how to make this stuff work together. I've been floundering about with the iPaq, discovering the phone, but I don't know what to do next or how to configure things.

I can use GPRS on the phone (by itself) to successfully connect to the Internet and use the inbuilt browser.

Anyone have experience?

TIA
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: iPaq & BT GPRS with Nokia 6600 - How? Reply with quote

sn0rg wrote:
I can't find a tutorial on how to make this stuff work together. I've been floundering about with the iPaq, discovering the phone, but I don't know what to do next or how to configure things.
I don't have explicit experience of your exact situation but firstly you need to get the ipaq able to browse the internet via the phone. This is the bit I can't help with, as I was lucky enough that my mobile network provider (Orange) has a PPC2002 application to setup the ipaq.

Once this is done, it's fairly easy to get TT Traffic to use this connection, however, I do warn you that the majority of mobile phones (well, all but 2) only support 1 Bluetooth connection at a time, and due to the way most Bluetooth headsets work, they hold the connection open all the time (although some SonyEricsson phones and headsets work better) - as such if you use a Bluetooth Headset today, the ipaq will never be able to connect to the phone to update the traffic data. If, however, you have a wired headset for the phone, then it's worth persevering to get this all to work. I'm sure others can give you the exact settings to enter into your ipaq if you can confirm your mobile phone network.
sn0rg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I don't use bluetooth headset so things should work out OK. The phone is on the Vodafone network.
Michael
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the available connections on your 6600:

Menu -> Tools -> Settings -> Connection

If you select Access Points, you should see your currently configured GPRS connections, you are looking for one called "Vodafone Internet" or "internet"

If you don't have one defined go to the link below:

http://wapota.vizzavi.co.uk/dms/cm?pl=uk&lg=en&sd=wef&Rebrand=yes

Select the Nokia 6600 and then choose - get mobile internet on your phone and the GPRS link.

This will then prompt for your mobile number and send you a SMS containing a code that you need to enter into the webpage. Once you've done this, your settings will be delivered shortly to your phone by a SMS text message. Your phone will prompt you to install the new settings.

Saving the settings

When you receive the settings follow these steps:

Once the automatic message is received, '1 new message' will be displayed on the screen of your phone

1. Press the left selection key to enter Show
2. Press the left selection key to enter Open
3. If you are presented with a box entitled 'Configuration settings PIN code:', using the keypad enter 927 in the box and press the left selection key
4. Press the left Selection key to select Options
5. Press the left Selection key to select Save
6. Press the left Selection key to Set as default settings

You then need to pair your iPAQ & 6600 and once this is successful set the iPAQ as authorised on the 6600 or you will be prompted each time th e iPAQ tries to connect

Menu -> Connect -> Bluetooth -> Paired Devices -> Options -> Set as Authorised.

Nearly there now, you need to define a dialup connection on your iPAQ using the bluetooth modem port and the following details:

Phone number: *99#
username: web
password: web

Set this as you default connection (always dial this connection) and you should be able to test by opening up PocketIE and browsing.

If this is successfull your all set and TomTom Traffic should use this connection when it needs to connect and receive traffic info.

HTH

Michael
sn0rg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for posting such detailed instructions. In the end, the problem was that on my phone under the:

Tools -> Settings -> Connections -> GPRS -> Access Point

The Access Point was set as wap.vodafone.co.uk. When I changed this to "Internet" everything fired into life!!

Note that I had been looking at the settings in:

Tools -> Settings -> Connections -> Access Points

<large sigh of relief>

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: