Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem installing 2012.30 Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem installing 2012.30 Maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Problem installing 2012.30 Maps Reply with quote

Last night I downloaded the latest map update using the new lmu utility which checks for updates and downloads them automatically.
I have attempted t install them today but during the installation I received an error message
Source file not found: C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\LmuMaps\EU.2012.30\IMG\City Navigator Europe NT\2012.30.gmap\CNEuroNT_2012_30_mdr\CNEURONT.MDR.

Sure enough the file is not there in the downloaded data.

I found the file in 2012.20 maps and there it is over 700Mb so clearly a large amount of data.

I will put a support request to Garmin

Has anybody else found this error?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been various problems reported when updating maps using Garmin's LMU program. I'd log on to your myGarmin and download the map the 'old way' Smile
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Traditional Method failed Reply with quote

Hi M8s

I've installed the 2012.30 with the "traditional" method by downloading the GarminMapUpdater_v2.7.12.exe and running it. Download and preparation step run as expected but during the 3rd step while installing the maps to the device, about 3rd through the process (23 min remaining), I got an error message that an unexpected error occurred and the program will be closed, If the problem re-occurs, I should contact Garmin support.

Did anybody else encounter that and knows a solution.

I've restored my nüvi 765T from a backup I had and tried again, to no avail.

BeatO
redsquirrel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Traditional Method failed Reply with quote

BeatO wrote:

Did anybody else encounter that and knows a solution.

BeatO

I notice you have a 765T - you may well have hit the same problem as I did - the 2012-30 maps for the whole of Europe are just too large to go onto a 765T.

The solution, and it really annoys me to have to say it, is to install a smaller area on the device itself (I went with UK and Ireland) and use Mapsource or Mapinstall to put the rest on an SD card. I suppose you could leave the 765T alone and install the whole map on the SD drive. You will need a 4GB card as the maps are now larger than 2GB.

I raised a support request with Garmin, only be told that devices are not built with any future proofing.

If anyone wants the PDF they sent me telling you how to do it, just let me know and I will send it to you. Can attachments be made in the messaging part of this board - if not I will need an email address to send it to. File size is 1.7MB.
DriveSmart (pending disposal Sad )
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Traditional Method failed Reply with quote

redsquirrel wrote:

I notice you have a 765T - you may well have hit the same problem as I did - the 2012-30 maps for the whole of Europe are just too large to go onto a 765T.

That is exactly the issue with the 660 and why I download to the PC only. The Lmu software allows the download to be done without the 660 being connected all the time, unlike the traditional method. And when you open the update file you do at least see the error messages. I will not try to update again until I hear from Garmin support.
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting theory, but I have some doubts.

With the 2012.20 maps, complete of Europe, I've got 339MB free space. Between map 2012.10 and 2012.20 the size difference was about 42MB.
And now the update of 2012.30 shall use more than 339MB more space than the previous one? That would be a BIG update!

BTW: I don't have any other stuff on my nüvi, no mp3 or the like. The only other folder on the device with some notable content other than the folder Garmin itself is Audible with 17MB. I could remove that stuff without missing it, if that would help.

And, I've seen the update procedure complain about missing free space before even starting the update, so I kind of have my doubts that it would start and the fail in the middle of the update process because of a space issue.

Anyway, for the time being, I've reverted to 2012.20 and will see what Garmin answers to my mail. I've sent the error message I got to our local Garmin reseller (garmin.ch).

Good Night!
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That smells as though you experienced the same missing file as me - but the traditional method did not tell you.
As some folk have managed to update I wonder if Garmin changed the update file for some reason and substituted a duff download?
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Traditional Method failed Reply with quote

Hi Red Squirrel

redsquirrel wrote:

I suppose you could leave the 765T alone and install the whole map on the SD drive. You will need a 4GB card as the maps are now larger than 2GB.

Thanks for the PDF! What I currently have is my 765T restored from a backup with the 2012.20 maps on it's internal storage. (Lucky I did a backup:-)) I took it for a drive without any issues.

Then I proceeded by installing the 2012.30 onto my computer without touching the device. After that I used MapInstall to install everything from 2012.30 onto the 4GB SD card I put into the device. That took quite some time but worked.

But one thing I'm not sure, If I select the map (settings - maps), I see the maps installed on the device itself (CN Europe NT 2012.20 3D and CN Europe NT 2012.20 both for whole of Europe) and in addition the CN Europe NT 2012.30. There is no 3D version of the new 2012.30 visible and I'm not sure if the track assistant with the intersection pictures is still working. Could you already check that? I'll try to go on a test drive this evening.

This might well be different to your situation, as I currently have to different versions of the full Europe maps on the device, one on the internal and on the external (SD) storage...

Anyway, I'm still waiting for an answer of the Garmin support, as I doubt that the 765T has the size issue because it already has close to 4GB of internal storage.

BeatO
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've taken a test drive and can confirm that for the maps installed on the SD card, the lane assist is not available as opposed to the internally installed maps, where they are.

So installing the maps onto a SD card isn't really the solution.
I'm still waiting for a reply from Garmin.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problems doing the update to my unit, but then again I downloaded them to the computer first, then did a computer to unit upgrade which went flawlessly. Very Happy

Shame it's still missing the major A3 update called the Hindhead Tunnels. Rolling Eyes
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
I had no problems doing the update to my unit, but then again I downloaded them to the computer first, then did a computer to unit upgrade which went flawlessly. Very Happy

Shame it's still missing the major A3 update called the Hindhead Tunnels. Rolling Eyes

What do you mean by computer to unit update? Did you use the Lifetime Updater or the manual old installer? I used the manual option selecting to install the maps to the computer and unit.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Garmin Lifetime Updater to download the maps to the PC first, then once I'd charged up my Garmin, connected it to the PC & it was updated.

It's a slower process, but it works. I gave up on the other one.
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, I'm just running it again that way. It looks like it's copying something but it will take time, I guess :-)
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's me again Very Happy

The Lifetime Updater failed with the same message.

This time I investigated the problem and found the roots, I guess. From a file compare with the 2012.20 vs 2012.30 it shows that all files were updated as expected, except the JCV. The old one was deleted but no new one copied to the device.
I then investigated the files in the Temp directory on the system, where all the downloads are stored, and found the current one, D2504060A.JCV, with a size of 584'362'377, compared to the previous one D3084020A.JCV with a size of 278'281'247. That is an increase of roughly 300MB! You might remember that I wrote that my free space was 339MB with the 2012.20 on the device. As not only the JCV increased in size, also the map itself did, this was not enough.
GMAP3D.IMG was 408'829'952 and is now 448'749'568 (+40MB)
gmapprom.img was 2'403'532'800 and is now 2'494'103'552 (+90MB)

This means, the map size of 2012.30 is around 130MB larger, plus the Lane Assist data which increased by around 300MB, gives a total of 430MB additional space required.

That is 100MB more than my device had left. Sad the update program does not detect that before running into an error without any meaningful message.

Anyway, I could get out of it by removing many unused voices. Before that directory (\Garmin\Voice) used 400MB, after removing anything other than German (I live in Switzerland ;-)) and English, it's 130MB (-270MB). This means, I should have enough space left for the 2012.30 map update. It's currently running again, fingers crossed!

That means, the current map should have a lot more Lane Assist images available. I'll check that out as soon as I'm on the road again!

Laughing
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's still not enough free space you can also delete unwanted EULA, text, keyboard and vehicle files Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: