Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic to be returned to Normal Service Next week
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic to be returned to Normal Service Next week
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: HD Traffic to be returned to Normal Service Next week Reply with quote

Posted by Kenneth / TomTom on

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/LIVE-Services-HD-Traffic-and/HD-Traffic-range-update/td-p/82195
Quote:

Hello all,

To follow-up on the recent discussion around our HD Traffic range, we've made a further analysis of the data from the last three weeks and have made a decision to change the range back to the original 160km.

We're going to need a few days before we can release the change on our servers. We don't have a confirmed date yet, but we are aiming for next week. Devices that connect to TomTom HOME will then take all traffic incidents within a range of 160km into account when routing. Devices that connect to MyTomTom will show all traffic incidents within 160km in the map view, and will take incidents within a 40 minute / 80km horizon into account, as before (note that the 40 minute horizon is only relevant when travelling 120km/hr on the motorway). Road closures are not bound by the 40 minute / 80km horizon, they are taken into account within the whole 160km range. We're also looking into smart improvements to the 40 minute / 80km horizon.

We need to address the increased risk of sudden congestion in the winter months, and as some of you have suggested on these forums, this is a matter of building a smarter range, not just an increased one.

The feedback we've received from all of you has been helpful and has been shared and discussed internally at all levels of the business. To re-iterate something I posted earlier in these discussions, our intention is to ensure that all relevant traffic data is taken into account when planning a route. Your continued feedback will help us drive all the improvements we have planned for the service.

I'll update you as soon as we have a date for the rollout of the 160km range.

Kenneth

Well good news at last
GO 920 Dead
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable news yes. But I still think it has been greater in the past and it is still not perfect. But overall very welcome.

It nearly stopped me putting in my complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority, but in the end I submitted anyway. I think it is important that they make these limits clear in their advertising. (Darn, I forgot to include forum links!) People buying a 1000 need to know the extremely limited window, and everyone else needs to know there is this horizon. Since NOTHING on the TomTom advertising mentions this, I think that they are misleading people.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also sure I used to get up to 150miles based on journeys last year, but cannot prove it with data
GO 920 Dead
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet another post on HD Traffic Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Why don't we keep it all in the same place Question Those using the 'New Posts' menu option will always find it.
Having said that, the problem of traffic congestion was apparently easily solved earlier in the year by TT just chopping the range
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
.............. the problem of traffic congestion was apparently easily solved earlier in the year by TT just chopping the range

Very true, I certainly don't need 160km range if there is 6 inches of snow covering my driveway and the motorways are on a go slow - all it needs is a liTTle common sense!
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know if another part of the country is in six inches of snow... more than 40 miles before I get stuck!
Map: Europe v925.5413
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnMulholland wrote:
I would like to know if another part of the country is in six inches of snow... more than 40 miles before I get stuck!
Surely you might just have caught the weather forecast if you were interested in going somewhere there may have been/might be snow. They do generally (not always) get severe weather somewhere near right.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnMulholland wrote:
Surely you might just have caught the weather forecast if you were interested in going somewhere there may have been/might be snow. They do generally (not always) get severe weather somewhere near right. Traffic, however is far more variable.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnMulholland wrote:

I think the pertinent part of my post was 'and the motorways are on a go slow' - I doubt that HD Traffic will be particularly concerned with the state of my driveway but it would certainly indicate to me that driving may not be a good idea!
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most years the snow only affects part of the country. I would not like to see a snow storm that only affects London reducing the HD Traffic range over the rest of the UK.

I have always been happy with the concept of the route not considering minor roads alongside my long journey, but I do want it to consider blockages on the motorway TomTom plans to send me down.

I would also like to be able to browse the map all the way to my destination and see the relevant traffic. Would it be that hard to allow us to see the traffic it has already downloaded?

I don't always start a journey from somewhere I can log on with my laptop; I liked it when TomTom allowed me to look ahead, and make my own decision whether to force a re-route by putting in a 'Via'.
Map: Europe v925.5413
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnMulholland wrote:
Would it be that hard to allow us to see the traffic it has already downloaded?.
I must admit that this is a concept that I find hard to understand. If they download it, why not use it? Confused
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be there is a limitation to the number of incidents or size of data that the unit is capable of handling, similar in a way to the POI restrictions?

I take it that the "80 minutes horizon" on 160Km of data is a software development on the later models not present on the older as opposed to a downloaded data restriction?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
May be there is a limitation to the number of incidents or size of data that the unit is capable of handling, similar in a way to the POI restrictions?

I take it that the "80 minutes horizon" on 160Km of data is a software development on the later models not present on the older as opposed to a downloaded data restriction?

the 'horizon' is a feature of Nav10. It looks like TT are looking at ways of making this adaptive or 'smarter' as they put it. I think this is the correct way to go, especially if on certain journey types it could extend to the full length of a journey.

In the Traffic Manifesto they reference that data above a certain range is not taken in to consideration on routing as they deem it to be less relevant.

Maybe some kind of 'weighting' system needs applying - within 50 miles all incidents are classed as having a 100% probability of being there when you get there so the full delay affects the routing decision. 50-100 miles is 50%, 100-150 is 20% or something like that. This means that a 10 minute delay 120 miles away would affect the journey time as far as routing decidions are concerned by only 2 minutes. This is unlikely to cause the device to recalculate a route, but will become more relevant to routing decisions the closer you get to it. ETA should include all delays, this means if you see a strange or sudden change in ETA you can investigate and make a decision as to if it is worth going a different route.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy with that Very Happy
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on the new 50 mile POI "horizon" they imposed?
Is that being sorted out too?
That is arguably more important to me personally than the Traffic distances.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: