Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity that TomTom don't deliver a choice of routes like some other PND's - it really ticks when I'm given a route over 40% longer in order to save 1 minute Evil or Very Mad
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the reduction sometime ago while travelling down the M6 after leaving Liverpool. It just didn't work as it use to.
Like Dennis Iam on the road all the time I have two self employed jobs courier and an installation engineer which mostly work together but no always. Like I said earlier I drove upto Scotland to do a job and back without the full traffic coverage, not what I paid for.
What was the reason to reduce the range by TT. I really don't see why take a great system and cripple it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2216 wrote:
What was the reason to reduce the range by TT. I really don't see why take a great system and cripple it.

The reason given so far is that the bad weather we had late last year caused crashes of the servers due to overload, by reducing the range it reduces the amount of data. Doing this allowed TomTom to add extra data to the HD Traffic pool from the Highways agency as an "upgrade"

There was plenty of hype from the sales and marketing team at TomTom about the additional data improving an already top class system for Traffic data, they forgot to mention the range is now reduced by over a half.

After some pressure has been applied using various forums/ FaceBook etc they have decided to take a small step in way of increasing HD Traffic range to a point that is still considerably less than that when the Live devices were purchased.

Even with the small step to increase effective range of the HD Traffic system which should/ might take place tomorrow its simply not enough, in my opinion from the features offered on the current range of PND units from TomTom the HD Traffic was their "Jewel in the Crown" now, because of what they have done it's the equivalant of turning Diamond in to Graphite - Useless - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos, Mike. Thumbs Up (I've only just learned about Kudoses).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, As one of a number of couriers working for one company I use to rave about the HD traffic to others, saving so much time it was worth every penny. Now I wish I didn't say anything, just waiting for some flack from those who got TT's with HD traffic.
I wonder if the any of the TT engineers have use HD traffic other than popping round the corner.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also run Copilot 8 with Live traffic extra sub on my Desire S phone in parallel with my TT XL live IQ and the traffic gives so many false positives I don't pay much attention to it. As it only cost an extra £10 so I didn't expect much from it. But HD cost me £80 for the first year and then about £50 so it was worth it until now.
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does a suitable Server cost anyway? Any ideas? Perhaps we should have a whip-round for them Rolling Eyes

(To try and forestall replies stating something like ".. we've already paid good money for this"... i am only joking)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
2216 wrote:

The reason given so far is that the bad weather we had late last year caused crashes of the servers due to overload, by reducing the range it reduces the amount of data.
This sounds like a pile of poo answer from TT to me. Does this reason hold any water at all? From what I have read, the full data is D/L to the TT device, and then suppressed. If they are supplying and D/Loading the longer range data to the device before suppression, how on earth does this lighten the load on the server? Confused
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to point out that I think that this is NOT the first time that they have reduced the range. I'm quite sure that I used to sit in the office and watch the M6/M5 junction on my Satnav and how it was progressing before the start of a journey past there. Google maps says that is 233km driving, so perhaps 200km direct. Now, if they are saying that they reduced it from 160km to the bad weather 80km, then I can't see how this used to work...

I'd like an authoritative statement about how far it was originally, and what has been changed. [edit: I've asked this on the TomTom forum]

And I also have no problem really about them reducing it in the really bad weather - most people would not be stupid enough to go out, and what matters is more local. But it must be restored after.

Fundamentally, they should stop deciding for us, and let us make the compromise. I'll choose slower and more info thanks.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The range HAS now been increased! I can now see from Newcastle up to Edinburgh and Glasgow and to just north of Leeds!

Steven

iPhone 12
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good start; now for Newcastle to London and the south coast! ...At least for Motorways and trunk roads.
Map: Europe v925.5413
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget that, my iPhone hadn't discarded the data. Still the old range as confirmed by my GO 950 Sad

iPhone 12
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
This sounds like a pile of poo answer from TT to me. Does this reason hold any water at all? From what I have read, the full data is D/L to the TT device, and then suppressed. If they are supplying and D/Loading the longer range data to the device before suppression, how on earth does this lighten the load on the server? Confused

It sounds like Britsh Rail's leaves on the line or the wrong king of snow!! This is the UK, did they not anticipate us having some bad weather? I'm afraid blaming the weather for their short sightendness or incompetence is ridiculous!
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

It sounds like Britsh Rail's leaves on the line or the wrong king of snow!! This is the UK, did they not anticipate us having some bad weather? I'm afraid blaming the weather for their short sightendness or incompetence is ridiculous!

TomTom, like a great many individuals and organisations was caught out by the severity of the weather. I was, I left my shovel in the garage, the door to which was blocked by my snowed-in car. Should I have bought a second shovel and kept it in the house when we have significant snow once every hundred years or so?
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Range has now increased. From my location in Newcastle I can see to the North of Edinburgh, and south to just before Harrogate!

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 18 of 27

Jump to: