Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No surprise - SatSync for Mac doesn't work on Lion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No surprise - SatSync for Mac doesn't work on Lion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: No surprise - SatSync for Mac doesn't work on Lion Reply with quote

Since OS X 10.7 (Lion) has a 64-bit kernel, the Satmap kext that drives the Active 10 USB connection doesn't work - it only contains a 32-bit driver for the device.
I wonder how long it'll be before Satmap get around to writing a 64-bit driver? Not as long as it took them to write the 32-bit one, I hope….

Rolling Eyes
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was about to get Lion but found that it wont be available as a
cd format till next month.
Only available as a download - after reading several reviews
it might be wise for me to hold the fort- a lot of software for other users doeasn't seem to be working and the download seems a little iffy according to the board
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonoftheabove,

The only bits of software that I haven't been able to use on Lion are SatSync and GPS Photolinker. Everything else works just fine, but then I've never used any software that requires Rosetta (which is no longer available in Lion).
Like you, I prefer a physical installation disk, but there are simple instructions available on t'internet describing how to burn a Lion installation boot DVD from the file downloaded from the Apple app store - it's perfectly legal, I did it, and it works! (I'm typing this on my iMac running a clean installation of Lion from that disk).
I take your point about the download though - I think Apple's servers have been overloaded in the first few days after it's release (it took an overnight download using my 50Mb connection to get all 4.2 Gb of it).
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i appreciate that you can run a backup boot system disc; because the local apple store told me the same several days ago

My concern centres round the download file size; after a good number of years using the internet my ISP provider suddenly the other month flagged up a monthly headroom quota and i was getting near the bar SO if possible I would purchase a physical copy of same and not get to another charge band.

In any case this email comes via an Imac and i use VMware Fusion to get Windows 7 to operate on the machine. Some software basically Memory map is only written for Win and i need it to look at maps while plotting walks.
That is unless someone can direct me to mapping software written for Mac
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Mac mapping software you could try Route Buddy: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/RouteBuddy-30--Now-Available-For-Windows-And-Mac-OS-X--6516.php

And for Lion compatibility you can look at the useful http://roaringapps.com/

MaFt
aviddk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: SatSync works on Lion for me Reply with quote

SatSync and File converter have been working on Lion for me since the release date. Of course, I have no idea what a full featured SatSync looks like on a Windows machine. I am referring to the skeletal version which provides a text box which allows me to view, move and delete files from the SatMap.

Really glad to have found this site. I think I must be the only hiker in the US that has a SatMap, which by the way I dearly love, despite its idiosyncrasies. Can't wait to dig through the topics and see what all I can learn.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aviddk,

Are you able to transfer files between your Active10 and Satsync for Mac when the Active10 is connected to your Mac by a USB cable? The kernel in OS X Lion is 64-bit, but the only kext (device driver) for the Active10 I have been able to find in Satsync for Mac is a 32-bit one, which doesn't work on a 64-bit kernel.
Did you download Satsync for Mac recently from the Satmap US website? I'm wondering if the US site download is different from the UK one...
aviddk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version of SatSync that I have is 0.6.2 (2). Yes, I connect my Active 10 via USB to my iMac C2D2 running Lion 10.7.1 and can see, move and delete files on my Active 10. What I haven't tried is moving data onto my Active 10. "Get info" says the file first appeared on my system on April 4th.

I feel like the Lone Ranger here is the US with my SatMap. It is so good to find a place where other users are exchanging information.
aviddk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Interesting Reply with quote

lucevans,

This really got me questioning what was happening. I have sorely neglected my former geekhood since switching to Mac five years ago. The facts of this matter are that my particular iMac C2D2 can run Lion but since its EFI is only 32 bit it can't run Lion in 64 bit mode. Nevertheless this article at AnandTech that provided this information seems to indicate, this also concurs with what I had heard, that 32 bit programs run fine in Lion.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4485/back-to-the-mac-os-x-107-lion-review/21

Quote:
Apple began really pushing 64-bit with its marketing for Snow Leopard, and has been dropping support for 32-bit APIs like Carbon for years – giving developers aiming for Lion guaranteed 64-bit capability both enables them to better take advantage of the architecture improvements and saves them the effort (and file size) of also supporting a 32-bit version. That said, 32-bit programs will continue to run fine in Lion, just as they ran fine in Snow Leopard and Leopard before it.

Interesting!
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info aviddk, I think that solves my puzzle. My iMac has a 64-bit EFI and so runs the 64-bit Lion kernel. The 32-bit drivers for the Active 10 don't work on this kernel, so when I plug the unit into a USB port the Mac doesn't see it at all. I guess my choices are to force the 32-bit kernel using a hack, or just save routes, etc. to the SD card and read them directly from that to the Mac using the Mac's in-built SD slot (which is what I'm doing right now). I don't really need to use the file converter, as the only files from the A10 that I use are the raw gpx files for recording my walks and geotagging.
On a totally different subject, which US maps do you use with your A10? Have you tried the National Geographics? Are they good?
aviddk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Love the National Geography topos Reply with quote

Lucevans,

The reason why I bought the Active 10 is because I wanted the National Geographic topos. So far I own- America's Greatest National Parks, Arizona, California and Oregon. The California map arrived two days ago for a hike this next week in the Trinity Alps of Northern California. For my way of thinking having the original topographic map on my adventures allows me to spend more time enjoying the hike and less time concerning myself with my whereabouts. The ability to have every topo I need on any hike is still hard to believe. If one never had to physically collect the appropriate topos for a trip they could never understand the simplicity of the Active 10. We own a Mercedes Sprinter Caravan and can find ourselves anywhere in the Western US. With the Active 10 I can find my way like a local.

How do you use/save your raw gpx files? I drag mine into Google Earth and then save them in the Google format(.kmz?)

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. It is great meeting someone that is using this really amazing device.

aviddk
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi aviddk,

I do most of my walking in the Scottish highlands, English Lake District and Wales (Snowdonia and Brecon Beacons). Small hills by US standards, but lovely varied scenery nonetheless. As I'm a keen photographer, I geotag my photos using the raw gpx file of the Active 10 and Photolinker 2.2, before importing them into Aperture. I also import the raw gpx files into Aperture, then I can see my trails and the photo locations in Aperture's Places map (which uses Google mapping). I also back up the raw gpx files and .map files of the routes that I plan on the Active 10 to my Mac's hard drive for future reference. Since I moved to Lion, I currently do this by copying these files directly from the SD card to the Mac. Previously, when using Snow Leopard, I used Satsync for Mac to accomplish this. The downside of the direct method I'm currently using is the danger of accidentally deleting the map files from the SD card, and also the fact that OS X insists on putting spotlight and trash files on the SD card - although these aren't seen by the Active 10 so don't cause any problems.
Those National Geographic maps look nice! We have Ordnance Survey over here (equivalent to the USGS I think?) and the advantage of living in a relatively small country is that I can get the entire UK on a single map card at 1:50 000 scale, and also have 1:25 000 scale maps of all the national parks on the same card, so don't have to worry about heading for the hills with the wrong mapping!!
aviddk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Aperture Reply with quote

Lucevans,

Love your use of Aperture. I may have to give it a go. My only similar experience was this spring after returning from a trip to Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Grand Canyon my wife was wanting to build a slide/video show. We had video she recorded on her Flip Mino and I had photos taken with my iPhone4. She asked how she should go about organizing them. I told her to drag them into iPhoto. Lo and Behold, it automatically organized the photos and videos according to location. I never questioned how it accomplished this, just admired the result.

I see that SatMap does custom combination of SD cards. I may have to look into getting some of the most often used on one card. Especially the Oregon and California maps since I live just over the border in SW Oregon. The weather in SW Oregon, while almost always mild, can become a tad gray and drippy from November to April. That is when sunny SoCal becomes quite appealing. Thanks again for the conversation!

aviddk a.k.a. David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: