Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC in UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC in UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leeus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: TMC in UK Reply with quote

I have a renault Laguna with in-built GPS as standard that supports TMC, i left my radio tuned to Classic FM as that is what I heard it was broadcast on in the UK and it picked nowt up!!! Anyone offer any advice/guidance?

Thanks,

Lee
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It maybe the GPS does support TMC, but the Navigation Software installed does not. Also if it's a true TMC GPS you shouldn't need to leave your radio on Classic FM because it will have it's own built-in tuner/scanner within the GPS Receiver, which kind of makes me think that the GPS you have installed doesn't support TMC.
Laguna_Owner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: TMC in UK Reply with quote

Leeus wrote:
I have a renault Laguna with in-built GPS as standard that supports TMC, i left my radio tuned to Classic FM as that is what I heard it was broadcast on in the UK and it picked nowt up!!! Anyone offer any advice/guidance?

Thanks,

Lee

Lee,

The Renault Carminat supports RDS/TMC.

The problem is that Renault haven't been prepared to pay the licence fee to ITIS (the UK providers) for using it. I bought a TMC enabled UK CD from VDO Dayton, which worked immediately. If you push them, Renault Customer Services will refund the cost of the disk (£150+), while still maintaining that it doesn't work in the UK.

There is also a TMC enabled CD available from Tele Atlas.

The best source of information that I have found is on the Parker UK web site, in the Ownership Ordeals forum. There is a massive current thread on Renault TMC.

NB.Be very careful to get the TMC enabled disk, rather than the non-TMC version which is about £50 cheaper.
pgamble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Ford 9000 VNR (Visteon) Reply with quote

Hi guys

I am just about to buy a car with the above unit.

I supports TMC. Anyone have any idea what I need to do to use it in the UK ?

Paul.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9000 VNR (Visteon) Reply with quote

pgamble wrote:
I am just about to buy a car with the above unit.
I supports TMC. Anyone have any idea what I need to do to use it in the UK ?
Although I believe the above statement is technically valid (the Renault CD has historically not included TMC, and buying a VDO Dayton CD with TMC works fine), I understand Renault have now agreed the license terms, and I would soon expect a new CD from Renault with TMC. However, if you are buying secondhand, be prepared to pay for a new CD, and if buying new request that the dealer state in writing he will provide a TMC enabled CD free of charge once available (if it is not already).
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9000 VNR (Visteon) Reply with quote

swing wrote:
and I would soon expect a new CD from Renault with TMC.
Not due until around September time at the earliest from what I understand.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: