Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnm52,

That's fascinating.

I did the same just now, and planned a route that finished just after a small delay. I worked backwards up the main road (replanning from different start points) to see what the cut-off point is for including delays.

Looks like it's between 43 and 45 miles (70 Km perhaps?). This certainly coincides with my findings in the 1005, where traffic would "appear" at 41 miles (couple of minutes downloading / processing etc).

pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... the TT PND is downloading traffic at a range of 75 miles (so that's 30 miles of ignored data in the 1005). The Garmin 3D Traffic is downloading at a range of 100 miles, but then it is less detailed than the TT data.

Looks like the 43 miles is "policy", so it is unlikely to get better.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably the Dutch design as in the Netherlands you can never be more than about 45 miles from a coast or border.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pottsy,

I have got Tomtom to look at this issue for you, and us all!

Can you provide me with your device information

Settings - Status and information - Version information

Can you copy ALL the info that is on that screen and paste it here!

And can you give me a brief version of the issue(s) you are facing. These will get passed straight onto the people that need to know!!

Steven

iPhone 12
johnm52
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
pottsy,

I have got Tomtom to look at this issue for you, and us all!

Can you provide me with your device information

snip

Steven

Hi falkirk81

Just to confirm that the calculations using the route planner on the website are simply using the standard web page. It does puzzle me that they cannot appear to see the problem when it does exist on the webpage but instead ask for all the device info etc - as though it is only one specific device that is affected.
I think, reading the thread, that pottsy will not be able to give you the required info since he has returned the unit in question - does this mean that TomTom will just wash their hands of any investigation.
I am pleased that you have taken this issue up and are in contact with those who can fix it.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I returned the 1005.

There's no need for technical data, they all do it and it's by design (see the response from TT support on the first page of this thread).

If they could change it to 100.1 miles range, then it would be 0.1 better than the Garmin service, and therefore worth buying.

Good luck!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnm52 wrote:
does this mean that TomTom will just wash their hands of any investigation.
Probably Rolling Eyes
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will pass on all the comments here and see if I can find out about the whole 'distance' issue for the HD traffic.

It did use to be around 100miles as I could 'see' Edinburgh from where I live in Morpeth, Northumberland.

Now, it is limited to about 70miles for me!

I will see what information I can get and let you all know!

Steven

iPhone 12
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven,

Thanks. Remember that there are two issues - firstly they have reduced the range of the downloaded data to around 70-75 miles. Secondly the new devices (1000/1005) do not display nor act on that data until around 40 miles. So even though the 1005 knows there is a huge delay ahead, it will show you an empty sidebar and optimistic ETA until you get close.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading with some interest about this 'problem' and to be honest haven't found it to be one.

I just set a route from Gillingham (Kent) to Drumnadrochit and my via LIVE 120 estimates the journey time of 10h 28m and 609 miles (average speed 58mph). taking into account a 8 minute delay to to Busy Roads and queuing traffic at the Dartford Crossing 1 minute. Does anyone really believe the '1 minute delay'? In your dreams! Would I rely on the ETA? Not on your life.

Zooming in on the map I find there is an incident near Saffron Warden, about 67 miles away, lane closed. About the time I'm 44 miles from there it would recalculate route.

I could have left home expecting to arrive in 10h 28m but while typing this things have changed. The ETA is now 10:25, 625 miles. Busy Roads 13 minutes delay, 2 incidents on M25 2 mins and 1 minute. (And these ETA's are for non stop driving, so what's the point of using the ETA?).

I've found, over the years, before and after using sat nav, my average 'overall' speed for journeys of 100 miles or more is around 50mph, so Drumnadrochit would be a minimum of 12 hours which takes into account the stops I make on the way.

The E in ETA is a bit of a clue. ESTIMATED T A. One thing for sure, as you arrive the ETA will be right or maybe a minute out. Thumbs Up

(Now wait for the flak).
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_collie,

I think there are 3 basic types of journey we could discuss.

1. Long range, like your example. More than (say) 100 miles, and where the traffic at the latter end is of course irrelevant when you set off.

2. Medium range. Say 42 to 100 miles. A more common type of journey, where you may want to chose one of 2 or 3 possible basic routes. This is an important decision because if there is an incident at the far end, it will most likely still be there when you get there. A crash on a motorway can close it and cause chaos in the area for several hours, not several minutes.

3. Short journeys, less than 42 miles.

The new and old Tomtoms are all fine with 3.
The old Tomtoms were OK with number 2, but they are now restricted to 75 miles. The new Tomtoms are useless, as they have a range of 42 miles (or so). The Garmin has a range of 100 miles.
And finally, only a fully working crystal ball will work with number 1.

I have an incident at the end of my route to work. It will be there until 2014 (I think) so it's not going to clear. I need to know how much of a mess there is in that incident before I set off. The old Tomtoms will tell me, the new ones will not.

This is a retrograde step, for me. It won't affect someone who just does crystal ball 600 mile trips (although an earlier warning of impending doom might be nice), and it won't affect someone who does 30 mile trips. But it's a stopper for those who do medium range trips, it is worse than the old models, and it was bad enough for me to return the unit.
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make about six trips each year from Newcastle to East Sussex. There are two major routes: A1 - A14 - M11 - M25 Dartford Crossing and M1 - M25 west of London. I have to make the decision where the A1 and M1 split near Leeds; there is no easy way to get from one to the other further south. I accept that things can change during the journey, but major road works and fatal accidents are unlikely to clear quickly.

That said, I usually look on my PC before setting off, choose my preferred route and put in a "via" to force TomTom to pick the route I want.

Seeing incidents further than 40 miles ahead can also allow me to warn those I am meeting that I might be late.

I vote for TomTom allowing us to set the range for it to look ahead. Maybe a choice of 40 miles, 100 miles or all the way to the destination.
Map: Europe v925.5413
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd even be prepared to pay a small extra (HD Traffic + maybe) for the extra range if data costs are their issue.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I agree completely. I live in the same are as you, and heading South, there are several routing options like using A1, M1 or even M6 via Carlisle.

I also go to Scotland quite often, so knowing whether to take the A1 or A68/A697 before I set off does make a difference!

I used to see all the Edinburgh traffic from here. Not any more! Sad

Steven

iPhone 12
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My free first year will not be renewed, even at half the price.

I'll stick with my 'trusty' crystal ball Wink

All I ask for is multi via's and optimisation. When? If ever. Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 3 of 27

Jump to: