Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tesco to Trial Trolley Dash Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tesco to Trial Trolley Dash Maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davemcwish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
This is already available, albeit implemented differently. Just install the Tesco Finder app. You type in the products you want while at home during the week (as you run out of them for instance), store them in a shopping list. You've already told the app where your nearest Tesco is, so the app knows the layout of the store. Then the app re-orders all your items by aisle and you get full instructions on how to find that bottle of wine for instance - Aisle 22, 5th rack along, 3 shelves up.

It's easy!

Can't see the point in upping the tech if it already works.

It might work for Dodgy but if you look at the comments on iTunes and/or ask me, the "Tesco Finder for iPhone" is dreadful.

I installed the app, selected my local store, which incidentally is the same one running the Android trial, asked it to find 'milk' and was told there are no available products containing the work 'milk'.

TESCO may well be able to have a slick operation that extracts a large proportion of UK spending but they don't appear to know how to write a consumer app.
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something weird going on there then, it works for me very well. The only time I've had a problem is when the store has overhauled its storage and moved things around, it takes a week or so for the changes of item locations synch up with the app.
MaskellMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: trolley Dash Reply with quote

Pirate3000 wrote:
Why not iphone users????
this tesco is my local and already is using a trial of the use of diy scanner shopping.
I would love to trial this and see just how good it is...
Sad maybe?

There is already an iPhone app which tells you where in a store an individual item is (aisle, location in aisle, shelf) as well as price and availability. Worked well for me when I was looking for something
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: trolley Dash Reply with quote

MaskellMan wrote:
Pirate3000 wrote:
Why not iphone users????
this tesco is my local and already is using a trial of the use of diy scanner shopping.
Sad maybe?

There is already an iPhone app which tells you where in a store an individual item is (aisle, location in aisle, shelf) as well as price and availability. Worked well for me when I was looking for something

But does it show you where in the store you already are? And order your shopping list into the shortest route?

MaFt
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from start of thread:
Quote:
Nick Lansley, Head of Research and Development at Tesco.com, says: “The new service is able to show you where all your wanted products are on a store map, show you where you are on that map, and guide you round the store to pick up your products using the shortest route.”

Mind you I bet it'll have a few crafty diversions past the 'clearance/can't get rid of' shelves Wink !
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: trolley Dash Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
MaskellMan wrote:
Pirate3000 wrote:
Why not iphone users????
Sad maybe?

But does it show you where in the store you already are? And order your shopping list into the shortest route?

MaFt

Like I said further up the thread.

Tesco stores have numbered aisles, the app orders your shopping list so you go through the store in a logical aisle by aisle way. So it won't send you to aisle 25 for beer, then back to 1 for fruit then back to 24 for peanuts.

You already know where you are, you look up and it says Aisle (x). You don't need a gadget to tell you that.

If anyone can't understand a simple aisle numbering scheme, they probably wouldn't be able to use a phone anyway.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: trolley Dash Reply with quote

Dodgy (albeit slightly edited to make a point) wrote:
If anyone can't understand a simple road numbering scheme, they probably wouldn't be able to use a satnav anyway.
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: trolley Dash Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Dodgy (albeit slightly edited to make a point) wrote:
If anyone can't understand a simple road numbering scheme, they probably wouldn't be able to use a satnav anyway.

You're seriously trying to suggest that a store laid out in a logical matrix with numbers is anything like as problematic to navigate as a road network?

Roads have bends, they have sub-roads coming from them, they have names a lot of the time.

Supermarkets have aisles, with consecutive numbers, you can see the boundary and extent of the store using visual clues such as walls Rolling Eyes . Supermarkets are more like US city layouts in a way Laughing
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of pictures to illustrate the already available free app. This is a shopping list I created a while back (the ticks denote that I've bought the items)

And if you need detailed info for where an item is, just click on any of them and you get this screen.

I don't think anything could be much easier. Why not try it, as I said above, I've had problems when the store have re-organised the layout, but it fixes itself pretty soon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: