Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin car chargers output voltage and current
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin car chargers output voltage and current

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Garmin car chargers output voltage and current Reply with quote

Hi,

Please could someone confirm for me that both the below 12v Garmin cigar lighter adapators are compatible with my Garmin Nuvi 760? I.e. compatible voltage and current?

The miniUSB connector is the same.

The reason that I ask is that I have an old spare Garmin charger from when I had a Garmin i3, and when I power my Nuvi on my motorbike, I would prefer to use this rather than the traffic-antenna-equiped power adaptor that came with my Nuvi (I realise I will not get traffic info, but I don't require this for leisure use and it will be neater without the antenna to deal with).

I have this type
http://www.nectar.com/nectar/cse/view/159977380

and this is the adaptor that came with the Nuvi
http://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1&hl=en&safe=active&rlz=1T4GGLS_en-GBGB403GB403&biw=1326&bih=482&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=garmin+GTM-21&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

I need to check that the miniUSB is still accessible with the Nuvi back plate fitted (as the GTM-21 adaptor has a wider connector that fits into this backplate)

Many thanks, Chipstix
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any charger that uses a USB, mini USB or micro USB connector will output 5 Volts, so that's OK.

Almost all car chargers will be capable of supplying around 1.5 Amps, to allow use and a decent rate of battery charging simultaneously. If yours can provide something like that, they will be OK.

Home chargers are similar, but if you use a PC USB connection, that is limited to 500mA so charging will be much slower, especially if you are also using the device.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin car chargers output voltage and current Reply with quote

Chipstix wrote:
Please could someone confirm for me that both the below 12v Garmin cigar lighter adapators are compatible with my Garmin Nuvi 760? I.e. compatible voltage and current?

I've not seen an I3 charger in the flesh, but so long as it's rated 5V 1A and contains the 'personality resistor' between Pins 4&5 it will work.
The downsides of using a USB-based charger with the 7xx series are:

• It's obviously nothing like as convenient, as having power supplied by the cradle.
  • Longevity of the USB socket is an issue. (It's the Achilles heel of many lesser Garmin units, where you have no choice but to use it)
  • The display brightness does not adjust automatically when powered by USB.

Have you considered the 'ordinary' Vehicle Power Cable (010-10747-03)?

If you type that Product Code into eBay, you'll find a seller in Hong Kong, that has them for less than a fiver including shipping. I've used them in the past and found them perfectly acceptable.

Last edited by PhilHornby on Tue May 24, 2011 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin car chargers output voltage and current Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
and contains the 'personality resistor' between Pins 4&5

Ah yes... I forgot that little niggle with Garmin devices!

Without it the unit will either go into PC mode or just power down after a certain period as it thinks it is attached to a PC.

Does it have to be a resistor though?

There's a recent topic here on bodging an existing charger by just putting a short between the two pins.

How To Hack A USB Charge Cable
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin car chargers output voltage and current Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Does it have to be a resistor though?

AIUI, they use different value resistors to identify the connected device. (Car charger, Wall charger, Fleet Management Cable, Traffic Receiver etc). Presumably a dead-short is interpreted as something ...

Personally, I've never succeeded in accessing Pins 4/5 in an existing mini-USB - though I suppose it should be possible.

I did try to buy some mini-USB 'B' plugs to make my own, but the ones I chose (from Maplins) only allowed access to Pins 1,2,3 & 5. The store manager insisted there are only 4 pins in a mini-USB B plug/socket - he clearly hasn't read the USB spec. Rolling Eyes
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Good tips Reply with quote

Interesting info, cheers guys.

In that case, for now I think I am making it more complicated than it needs t be.

I'll use the correct standard charger via the cradle. That way, the unit will act as if it is just in a car.

I plan on using a length of cable weave sheathing to keep the various wires that come up from under the front of the seat and over the tank so I will run the antenna through there too which will keep it tidy and out of the way.

Cheers, Chris
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On some Nuvis you can boot them off batteries, press and hold the battery icon to enter diagnostic mode, connect el-cheapo USB cable, then quit out of the diags back into the main UI - then use as normal.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: