Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap or not?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap or not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Satmap or not? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying a Satmap Active 10 to replace my current set up which is an HTC HD Touch phone (with a high capacity battery) running memory map. My phone is a bit long in the tooth now with a scratched screen and almost obsolete software.

For a good few years I've found it really great overall as a hiking / biking GPS unit. The only occasional problems have been battery life (about 5 hours) and lack of waterproofing (though this has never been a showstopper).

Two things are putting me off the Satmap and I'd really welcome any advice or views. The first is that I have all the 25k maps I need and I'll have to buy them again. I realise there's nothing I can do about this though.

The second is to do with using the software on my PC. I love looking at the maps on my laptop - planning new routes, looking back at old ones etc. Downloading tracklogs is very easy with memory map - I just press "import from mobile device". This has given me what is essentially a record of all the walks / bike rides I've done with the GPS (through the saved tracks). I like this and don't really want to lose this facility.

So I guess my key question is can the Satmap Active 10 with Satsync do something like this?
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's exactly what I do, use Satmap and Memory Map in tandem - Satsync to transfer routes/tracks back and forth between the two, works great.
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rothers. I'm just about convinced enough to get one now. Just so I'm sure though, do you mean that by using Satsync I can transfer the GPS track record from the Active 10 and see it in a Memory Map map?
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, use Satsync to transfer tracks recorded on the Satmap to your PC as a .gpx file. Import these into Memory Map using Overlay/Import.

Going the other way export prepared routes from Memory Map as a .gpx file, transfer these to the Satmap using Satsync.
mandyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi harco,

i own both the satmap and the ad3500,
check the latest forum news on the ad3500, a released update for the 3500 as eliminated most if not all of the forums gripes.
With you owning several memorymap products it may make more sensefor you.

john
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this John. I'd really have preferred to get the ad3500, in fact I was just about to go and get one until I read lots of gripes and bad reviews. That well and truly put me off. I'll read about the update with great interest.
mandyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems harco,
do yourself a favour and check out the posts regarding the ad3500 on the memorymap forum since the update, may 5th 2011, you really will see a different forum.
Carried out a 17km walk today, and everything went without problem, screenlock works, sleepmode works, direction arrow works, cog works, all work perfectly, now we have a unit which is totally reliable.

john
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read many of the posts now and I am convinced the ad3500 will definitely suit me fine. I'm also encouraged by the fact that Memory Map do seem to listen to their users. My decision though has been complicated by a friends suggestion that I should get an iphone 4 since I need a new phone anyway and use MM on that. I'm going to start looking at that option now. It seems like a good idea but the rugged design and battery life of the ad3500 are appealing.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider any iPhone running OS maps to be a viable device when out in the hills walking for anything more than an hour. Any GPS app hammers the battery, the device isn't water proof and neither will take too kindly if you drop it on rocks etc, way to fragile to be considered for anything serious - Mike
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, that's clinched it, I'll put my order for the 3500 in tonight. There's an excellent offer on Amazon - £275 plus a spare battery for the standard version.

Reading the iphone Memory Forum was interesting though. There are loads of posts so it seems to be very well used. The iphone 4 appears to have a much better battery than previous versions. But not so good that you can get away without adding some form of additional power supply. And you'd also need some kind of weather proofing. I have more or less managed with my HTC phone so far but it's not been ideal. It occcasionally hangs up (and loses data), I've had intermittment problems opening maps and the battery has run out far too often (which also loses all the data logged in the current track). I'm hoping for much better things from the ad3500.
mandyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harco, just a quick reply,
Some of the distributers still own old stock and will not have the update, but this shouldn,t be a problem, you can download direct from memorymap, purchase the upgrade for the price of a mini sd card £5 or send it to them, but self install is easy if you stick rigidly to the instructions.

john
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John
Yes, you're right I think they will be mainly old stock though one of the Amazon sellers is advertising 4.12 versions at £299.

I've had a look at the instructions for the upgrade and they look fairly straightforward (not sure about calibrating the touch screen but I guess it's no problem). For the lower price plus the battery I think it's worth going for a (probably) older version and then doing it myself.
mandyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calibrations very easy, its the first screen on startup, but once done it no longer appears unless you go into settings to recalibrate.
Be aware the screenlock knocks the backlight off when active but saves the power, it suits me for walking and mtb, i don,t keep the unit in front of me continuosly, i like to look at the scenary.

John
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered it now - hope it arrives before a trip to the Lakes at the weekend.

The screen lock / backlight thing won't bother me either John. Once I'm out and about I usually only check the map display when I'm not sure about which way to go - which thankfully is not that frequent. Other than that it's just the occasional look to check the names of things nearby etc. but mostly it's in my pocket recording the track.
mandyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right glad i could help, you,ll be made up ok with the 3500, you,ve also got a great deal, much better than i did, i think memorymaps got some good promotions going on at the moment with 1-2500 maps.
Anyway enjoy the unit and post your results after your trip, i,m sure you,ll be pleased.

john

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: