Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - France To Ban Sale And Use Of Speed Camera Warning Systems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

France To Ban Sale And Use Of Speed Camera Warning Systems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they do ban the use of the nav unit for speed camera warning in this way assuming you have a memory card slot on the device dual boot the device, a copy of the map on the memory card containing the POI files and warnings, a second copy of the same map on the internal memory without the warnings.
Get pulled and before you stop pop the memory card out and lose it down the side of the seat, nav unit will still work from the internal map with no evidence of camera data installed, if you have a nav unit without a memory card slot its going to be rather difficult which is one of the reasons I wouldn't purchase a device without enabled expansion capability - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianhb wrote:
So how does this affect the printed maps and road atlases that are sold in France with speed camera locations marked??

Presumably they'll stop being sold without changes.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:

Even with a bean bag on the dash in my Toyota iQ, it stands proud of the windscreen's bottom line.

Sit on a cushion! Very Happy
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
navtrav wrote:

Even with a bean bag on the dash in my Toyota iQ, it stands proud of the windscreen's bottom line.

Sit on a cushion! Very Happy

Better get a pillow as well, for when they bash their head & know themselves out cold. Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 'change it to cheese' POI idea. In fact, Pocket Cheese PS World has a nice ring to it Smile

Seriously though, how will they actually check for speed camera POIs if ones like ours are added later wi different names? Fair enough for manufacturers own databases as you have no control over their naming.

This could actually work in our favour. Don't buy the illegal TomTom or Garmin database, buy the PGPSW Cheese Camera Database instead.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
This could actually work in our favour. Don't buy the illegal TomTom or Garmin database, buy the PGPSW Cheese Camera Database instead.

It may well work in our favour as TomTom and Garmin et al will immediately stop offering data for France.

But we'd need to offer a Europe without France package and a France package so that users would have the choice as to whether to risk it or not.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed Darren. I've actually been looking at ways to offer the Swiss data in a similar way. I.e. Have it as a separate option so a user would need to download 'Europe' and 'Swiss' databases. And, now, 'Europe' and 'France'.

I'd considered a single 'Europe with Swiss' version but if more countries ban the use then it would be easier to do the 'Europe' and separate downloads for swiss, french, xyz etc as 'add ons' at users own risk.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the last two posts from Darren and MaFt not go against the rules set by them that Swiss cams are not included not nohow. Or is it a case of 'It's my ball, and I'll play whatever game I like?' Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone has made any 'rules'....

It was pointed out to PGPSW that it was illegal to have POIs of Swiss cameras installed while in Switzerland, so (as a service to members) they were removed from the downloadable database.

They've never made any secret of the fact that the data still exists, and if they have the time and inclination to offer it once more (again as a service to members) on an "at your own risk" basis, so what?
It's not illegal to own the data.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
and if they have the time and inclination to offer it once more (again as a service to members) on an "at your own risk" basis, so what?
I think that that was the piont I was trying to make. Very Happy Obviously in my usual ineffectual way Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Andy has said, there has never been a hard and fast rule about this. If there is demand for the data then we will offer it.

There is some work needed to look at how we separate the data and how best to make it available so that users have the choice.

But before we do so I think we need to see what actually happens and what impact it will have.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if this change of legislation without a reasonable notice period, would open up a 'restraint of trade' action?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone explain to me why the French would ever give a toss about a restraint of trade action - or any other action, come to that Shocked ?

The French are good Europeans because they make sure they interpret its rules to protect their economy and outmoded way of rural life Rolling Eyes ; the English are bad Europeans because not sticking to all the rules just isn't cricket (and we even like to 'improve' the rules to make them even more onerous for our own businesses) Razz Twisted Evil
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my arguments are that these two companies are not insignificant operations, and they are French. So might expect a sympathetic hearing, and have the support of [probably] a large number of motorists, some of whom will have political connections.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Road_Runner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: French radar speed traps Reply with quote

Information collated and condensed from the French press.

It seems that as well as a ban on radar warning devices, the French government has decided to have the signs warning of radar speed traps, both temporary and permanent, removed from September. However in the Doubs (Besancon region) and the Seine Maritime (Rouen region), they have already gone, four months early.

This change has been triggered by a strong increase in the number of road deaths in April; an increase of nearly 20% over April the previous year, and up by 13% for the first four months of the year compared with 2010. There will also be a toughening up of action on drinking and driving.

About a thousand new radar speed traps will be deployed before the end of 2012. Exceeding the speed limit by more than 50km/h will in future be treated more seriously, and repeat offenders could find themselves in prison. How foreign drivers will be treated is anyone's guess, but it's clear the French are taking serious action. At last, perhaps.

Driving with an alcohol level of more than 0.8 grammes per litre of blood while driving has become subject to a higher penalty. Using a hand-held mobile phone while driving causes nearly one in ten road accidents, so will be subject to a heavier penalty; similarly for anyone texting, looking at an internet or other screen, but not GPS, thankfully.

Some of these measures have to go before the French parliament, but everyone please be aware of these developments, especially the radars.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: