Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 1.7 subscribe to camera database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 1.7 subscribe to camera database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: TomTom 1.7 subscribe to camera database? Reply with quote

I appreciate the TomTom camera database probably isn't going to be anywhere near as accurate as ours, especially considering that the freebie which came with the previous version of the iPhone app still had roadworks cameras on which were nearly a year out of date.

But what's it like as a database? I'm finding it fiddely to faff about manually installing the database from here to my iPhone and although the dedicated PGPSW app is good, I like to see the cameras on my device.

How good is the TomTom camera service, is it worth subscribing to (I'm a life member here so it wouldn't be taking the money away from PocketGPSWorld)?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will be accused of bias if i comment...

i'll let the others do it.

keep the money in your wallet.

MaFt
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you won't MaFt, not if the comments are fair and accurate (which I'm sure they will be). Go for it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get a free download with v1.7 so test it and see for yourself. It's dire, so laughably inept in some areas that I wonder why they bother.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, my last experience of using their live database (which is actually only live mobile sites - the other updates are updated on a 'regular' basis by linking to tomtom home) is that they were very out of date and quite bad accuracy in many places.

there were cameras in their (at the time) most recent update that had been removed from the roadworks on the m62 3 months earlier - it was a constant overspeed warning for doing 70 in what it had marked as a 50 zone with average speed cameras! very very annoying - more annoying that you couldn't report it's removal / correction in any way.

other cameras have been sort of correct but maybe 100 yards out on position.

mobile sites... well, personally i think their 'live' data is a cover up for poor data. i've never been alerted to any of my (very regular) local mobile sites. i know people who've had live mobile alerts but as they only alert you to those they think are active (and not places that may well be active but no one reported yet) then it's pretty useless.

you are more likely to be caught out with rapidly changing roadworks cameras at lower than normal speeds on motorways etc and with mobile sites than you are with fixed cameras. and it is the temp roadworks and mobile cameras that are severely lacking in the tomtom data.

i'd still recommend using CamerAlert for the audible warnings without the icons on screen - if you turn on the overspeed warning then, even if you miss the initial alert, you can be reminded of the speed.

MaFt
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents, I'll give it a miss.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: