Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Sat Nav device.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Sat Nav device.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Which Sat Nav device. Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,i am thinking of getting a new TomTom device,i have been looking at the TomTom GO 950 LIVE and the TomTom GO 1000 LIVE.
Which one if any will allow me to use The Speed Camera Voice Files.
Or any suggestions as to what other satnav device would be a good buy.

Thanks for looking.
Jacko.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Go950 and the Go1000 can now accept the speed camera data POIs themselves, but the 1000 cannot currently use the .ogg audio files we provide to go with them - you have to use the built-in text to speech engine to read out warnings.

You can either type these in yourself or rename the camera files and get the TTS to read out the modified file names. More details on a quick way to do that here:
Creating spoken camera alerts on the Go1000/5 and VIA models

Advantages of the 1000 over the 950 are lightning fast routing and re-routing, very good sound quality and a much brighter (but more reflective) touchscreen, which is also multi-touch so you can do things like pinch to zoom and swiping gestures to change menus.

Disadvantages include: no itinerary planning yet, no way to buy new maps yet, no way to have more then one map on the device at a time (currently the same problem really!) no way to add new voices, car symbols, startup sounds or images. No bluetooth audio to the car radio.
newtomoneowner
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Disadvantages include: no itinerary planning yet, no way to buy new maps yet, no way to have more then one map on the device at a time (currently the same problem really!) no way to add new voices, car symbols, startup sounds or images. No bluetooth audio to the car radio.

My TT1 V3 doesnt do Itinerary planning, it does support more than one map, you can add voices via TThome, car symbols can be added using TTexplorer, you can change the startup image but not the sound and it has bluetooth as well, and the cost of one is about £40.
Jacko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, A friend is letting me borrow is TomTom GO 950 LIVE, so i will be able to have some first hand experience and if that turns out ok i will probably get the 950.

Thanks again.
Jacko
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to replace my aged TomTom 910. I'm looking at either a Garmin or a TomTom but I wonder which uses the better mapping database?

I ask because I've used Garmin "handheld" GPS units for some time for cycling and the City Navigator mapping you get with these often has flaws and doesn't seem to get updated/corrected. If I get routed down unmade bridleways on a pushbike it's not a disaster, but in a car - !

I also find the user interface on my present TomTom unhelpful - volume and speaker controls are buried deep and I can never remember which functions are in "Preferences" and which aren't, so is the Garmin menu more logically laid out?

Any other fundamental advantages of one make over the other?

Last edited by PloddinPedro on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap the lower left corner of the screen to get the volume slider, it doesn't really get much easier than that - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'd already told PloddinPedro yesterday Very Happy

P.Pedro. have you lost where to find your other posts? You added onto the end of another topic yesterday, and got some replies... See here.

I can't really lock this topic as it's "Jacko's", but P.Pedro...please continue in the other one to avoid more duplication!
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Tap the lower left corner of the screen to get the volume slider, it doesn't really get much easier than that - Mike
Doh! When in doubt read the instructions!

Although in mitigation (a bit) nothing appears on screen to suggest this is an option and I can't find this in the printed handbook that came with it. It's possibly in the CD manual, if there is one?

(There's probably a lot of stuff I've never discovered!)
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
As I'd already told PloddinPedro yesterday Very Happy

P.Pedro. have you lost where to find your other posts? You added onto the end of another topic yesterday, and got some replies... See here.

I can't really lock this topic as it's "Jacko's", but P.Pedro...please continue in the other one to avoid more duplication!
OK, will do, thanks.

Sorry if I'm blundering around in the wrong place!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: