Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Teleatlas! What a useless bunch!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Teleatlas! What a useless bunch!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Teleatlas! What a useless bunch!!! Reply with quote

RANT WARNING!

Is it just me or are the employees of teleatlas completely inept?

I've reported a map error in Somerset, the A358 between Eastcombe & Nethercott as being incorrect, as it fails to show that the road actually goes under the West Somerset Railway twice in less than ½ a mile and they're not exactly high bridges either.

Yet they sent me a response today to say that their mapping data is correct!

Really? I don't think so somehow! I think that they're taking the Censored

I wish OS would do Sat Navs, we might stand some chance of getting somewhere without too many errors.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, as a just ex-owner of the excellent Satmap device, I can say OS would cost you a fortune!! Razz Shocked
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst we are talking about bad mapping data - has anybody else driven from Christchurch(Dorset) to Lymington via Everton, the roads seem to be correct except that while you are on the Everton bypass Tomtom shows you as driving through the village jumping from road to road as if the map is showing all the roads too far south.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Teleatlas! What a useless bunch!!! Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
I wish OS would do Sat Navs, we might stand some chance of getting somewhere without too many errors.

OS map data lacks any routing info so they wouldn't be much use.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Teleatlas! What a useless bunch!!! Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Wazza_G wrote:

OS map data lacks any routing info so they wouldn't be much use.

I'm wondering if OpenStreetMap is nearing the point where it's usable yet? When I last tried it a year ago, it was useless but real-time routing apps had only just been made available. I corrected a few issues in my area (as well as mapping several miles of new roads) but there was no way I would use it on a route I didn't already know. It's currently the "most correct" map for my local area and the new housing estate near me is still missing from all other maps other than OS who mapped it just after I did. Another problem is that I don't find the iPhone apps to be very good. Often slow and with very dubious routing algorithms, sometimes with serious bugs (routing you through barrier entry public car parks as a short cut for example, which are correctly identified as car parks in the data).

Ambulances use OS maps from what I could see on their display, but perhaps they use another "routable" map type over the top for navigation? Perhaps it just switches to OS maps when they near the location? It had our house on it as a named property complete with the structural outline and tree lines etc.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, despite all the many claims, TomTom Maps (as Tele Atlas is now known) has all the same issues that it has always had. We've provided them with many such examples and despite their assurance that they will investigate, no explanation of why these errors occur, ore more importantly, why they are not corrected, has ever been provided.

When customers go the trouble of providing the evidence and yet they still deny an issue, it is no wonder that we all get incensed.

Re. OSM, despite huge improvements, it still has issues with routing and large areas are still poorly covered.

Ambulance services use a semi-custom nav solution where the location of a call and the route to it is sent by control. The OS Map is only used once at the destination address. It's more useful than a satnav when trying to identify a particular building.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and where I work we have OS mapping on our data terminals, but a separate satnav system .... both have their uses Smile
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the title of the original post says it all...

...I contacted TeleAtlas on 24th May 2007 to request a map update - a T junction should have shown on the map as a roundabout.

Despite this junction being a roundabout since God was a boy and long before digital maps, I received an e-mail today (14th April 2011) - almost four years later - quoting the following:
TeleAtlas wrote:
Thank you for contacting Tele Atlas. We are unable to make the change you suggested.

Possibly our systems couldn't process your report because it didn't have enough or the type of information we need. Possibly your report contradicts reports received from other reports or systems. Or possibly the type of change is not supported by our data format. If you would like to resubmit with additional details, we may be able to better review the situation.

We rely on helpful feedback from our customers and we sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide us with your report. We apologize for the inconvenience to you.

Thanks again for your willingness to help keep Tele Atlas maps up-to-date and accurate!

What a joke!!

If only TeleAtlas were so willing to keep their own maps up to date and accurate!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they suddenly remembered the password to the mailbox that received all these issues?

They'd have been better off saying nothing than replying after all this time.
jonbaker12345
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several emails from TeleAtlas this morning in reply to several map errors that I had notified them about in February this year! They've accepted my corrections!

Mind you, this was all about a shopping mall in the city centre of Hull which has been in existence since late 2007. Perhaps they should have noticed this earlier?

They sent another email to me rejecting another correction, which was about a roundabout. Ah well...can't win them all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: