Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - US Senators call for removal of drink-drive apps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

US Senators call for removal of drink-drive apps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Why I use camera alerts Reply with quote

gettingmad wrote:
but can find I am 3-4 over the limit and have to reduce speed when I do so. A camera at such a spot (frequently located near the bottom of hills) could catch me out.
Unlikely at 3-4MPH as indicated on your speedo. Speedos are generally 5-10% and can therefore indicate 33 at a true speed of 30MPH, and the guidelines for prosecution are generally talken to be +10%=3MPH making it a true speed of 36MPH with a reading on a 10% fast speedo nearly 40MPH Very Happy
fraggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on the speed alert database is this.

The speed limits are being "dumbed down" (reduced) as a cheap, nasty and unfair alternative to decent driver education and training.

As such, a good driver can easily exceed the set speed limit and still be driving perfectly safely. This obviously requires them to take into account the surrounding conditions, weather, time of day, traffic, area, vehicle they are driving, etc, etc, etc.

It is my view that I am a better driver than the "dumbest of the dumb" that the current raft of 40/50 mph limits are aimed at and can therefore exceed those speed limits safely.

The speed camera database simply protects my license when I pass an enforcement site (which is based on these dumbed down speed limits).

And I consider the vast majority of drivers to be in the same boat.

It's a crying shame the policy is to force everyone to drive as fast (slow) as the most incapable driver is safely capable of driving at.

The problem with what I do is of course overconfidence, peer pressure among young drivers, and not taking into consideration the ageing process.

Drink driving? Not really the same is it? If I drive a lot faster I don't gain exponentially more confidence in my driving ability, I don't stop caring about anyone else. Those things do happen the more you drink.

I agree they should be banned.
tonydxn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Why I use camera alerts Reply with quote

I use them because I want to protect my livelihood. I am a lorry driver and go through dozens of speed cameras every day, all over the country.

I do not make a habit of flouting speed limits, but I am not perfect. Sometimes I forget what the speed limit is, or miss the signs because my attention is taken by things that are happening on the road. In the days before speed cameras, if you inadvertently went above the speed limit from time to time, you would probably get away with it. Now you won't, you'll get caught and quickly lose your licence.

The database gives me frequent welcome reminders of the speed limit. Result - I am still in work, and still have a clean licence after five years of driving all day every day.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: