Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 3790t With Life Time Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 3790t With Life Time Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timlofts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Garmin 3790t With Life Time Maps Reply with quote

Ok, this should be simple, but it seems not Exclamation

Where can I get one of these? Amazon have got them but it doesn't specify if it comes with life maps, and at £225 I suspect not. I also want to get it before the weekend - I work in London so might end up trawling Tottenham Court Road, but would rather buy from somewhere trusted.

Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the lifetime maps are available in the UK?

It might be like TomTom who do several US models with free lifetime maps, but nothing of the sort in rip-off Britain.

If I'm wrong and you do find one, this nugget I found (on a US site) while searching may be of interest:

Quote:
I purchased my 3790T and made sure the receipt showed "Lifetime map updates". I also registered my unit within a day or so. BUT Embarassed I didn't get my magnifying glass out and read the back of the flyer that was in the box - so I didn't photocopy my receipt/barcode and send it in to Garmin. When I finally got around to looking for map updates, I was annoyed to find that I wasn't eligible and ain't getting any. MY FAULT - I DIDN'T READ THE FINE PRINT. My eyes are not perfect, but I do need a magnifyer to read it. Am I a little too cynical, or was it planned that way?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you'll need to order a 'normal one' then add lifetime maps later. You get free upgrades anyway for the first 60 days and personally I've never bothered with lifetime maps. Very little seems to change, bearing in mind the maps are never fully up to date anyway.
timlofts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Are you sure the lifetime maps are available in the UK?

Actually, I don't know, and it looks like I might be wrong. I'd read soemthing somewhere that led me to think that you could buy them with life time maps. But they're available at £225 which I think is a good price, considering my existing Nuvi 310 I bought in 1996 for £400
ellick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded numap lifetime from the garmin site. It says quite clearly that updates are up to 4 times a year for the life of the registered unit. It cost £74.99
Today, I checked it and was a tad alarmed to see it expires in March 2012.
I have emailed Garmin to check if this is correct because the information on the lifetime maps is as in my first paragraph.
I will update this when I get a reply.
Ellick.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get lifetime maps, but only as an "add-on" unless there's a special promotional offer on.

I took it up for £75, the reason being that there's a few alterations coming up including the A3 tunnel & routings around Hindhead and Haslemere being altered, plus some others around the UK.

As for mapping I find the mapping is far better than TT's puerile efforts.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifetime european mapping (for a nuvi) is £53 including delivery from Amazon or Navitech.

Dales.
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re Nuvi with lifetime maps Reply with quote

Try here http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/4552/garmin-nuvi-3790t-lifetime-map

Terry Walsh
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellick wrote:
I downloaded numap lifetime from the garmin site. It says quite clearly that updates are up to 4 times a year for the life of the registered unit. It cost £74.99
Today, I checked it and was a tad alarmed to see it expires in March 2012.
I have emailed Garmin to check if this is correct because the information on the lifetime maps is as in my first paragraph.
I will update this when I get a reply.
Ellick.

What makes you think they expire in March 2012? If you checked myGarmin then yes, it may say that your CURRENT map expires in March 2012, but your lifetime maps will not.
ellick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What makes you think they expire in March 2012? If you checked myGarmin then yes, it may say that your CURRENT map expires in March 2012, but your lifetime maps will not.

When I logged on to My Garmin and checked my maps, it clearly shows life time maps and directly underneath shows expires 1st March 2012. I bought the lifetime maps on 28th February 2011.
If that relates to my current map then I am happy. I would have thought it would be relatively simple to put current map before 'expires 1st March 2012'.
That just makes it simply misleading and I am not surprised by that possibility.

Ellick.
TheQuest
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ellick

Quote:
I would have thought it would be relatively simple to put current map before 'expires 1st March 2012'.
That just makes it simply misleading and I am not surprised by that possibility.

Garmin 0808 238 0000 [free phone]

Take Care
TheQuest Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: