Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Forced Home & Navcore updates. Is 9.058 safe?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Forced Home & Navcore updates. Is 9.058 safe?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the bugs can be tolerated or viewed as irritating, the one that really frustrates me is the very long delay until the traffic infomation starts being downloaded on the x40. This means you have to start your unit at least five minutes before you need any traffic information. If you don't need traffic information in the first five minutes than that is not a problem, but I need it from when I start out so I can choose my route, as J19-J23 on the M25, J5-8 on M1 and J1-3 on the A1M are all within around 5 miles from me and choosing the traffic free route can make a lot of difference.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Most of the bugs can be tolerated or viewed as irritating, the one that really frustrates me is the very long delay until the traffic infomation starts being downloaded on the x40. This means you have to start your unit at least five minutes before you need any traffic information.

In the How long before HD Traffic is ready on your Go? poll,
there were 20 replies in total for the Gox40 models. 14 said it took over two minutes to get traffic, and 6 said under (70%-30%)

haiderijaz wrote:
So guys, after all the problems what do you suggest should i go for updating my navcore on 740 or not? Please i need serious advice

If you are happy with the way it works at the moment I wouldn't bother.
But I think I'm right in saying that the bootloader version was unchanged between App: 9.054 and App: 9.058 - they are both using Boot 5.5259.

Therefore, if you make a full Windows Explorer backup of the entire device before updating, you can always go back to where you were before, if you don't like the results.

If you DO need to go back to earlier software, see another topic here for details on how to configure an older version of Home to avoid the "automatic software update" issue.

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the slow connection to LIVE services, how do I know if my SIM card will work with 9.058? How can I find out whether my SIM card is one of the old ones?
Map: Europe v925.5413
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By trying it?
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I have the skills or time to revert to my current configuration if the update proves I have one of the SIM cards that doesn't work with 9.058. I think I'll stick with what I've got, which works.
Map: Europe v925.5413
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, fellow Newcastle resident Smile

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

There a are usually new features brought out in new versions of the software, but if the device works for you as it is, and you do not feel comfortable updating and reverting to a backup, then I wouldn't risk it.

Steven

iPhone 12
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the advice is to make a back-up of current content directly onto your computer. Then update to 9.058 and see how you get on with it. If it's a non-runner, reinstall the back-up and you are back to square one. Except we now know how to work around the new Home version that insists on upgrading your application everytime.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always get a suitable SD card, copy the full system over & do all the updates on the card, that way you can try the newer navcores without disturbing the existing install.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 8Gb class 6 micro sd card costs between £9 - £12. Amazon look to be the cheapest.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: And the answer is - nobble TT Home Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies . All things considered I am going to stick with 8.371 and thanks to Andy and others & reading the thread under Home I now know how to nobble it to prevent it upgrading to v 2.8.1.2218. which in turn will prevent the auto-update to 9.058.
Lesson 1 thro' 1001 - Never ever let TT update anything automatically without checking with PGPSWorld first.
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thicko here!

I've read thro' this thread and can't find the reference to how Home can be fixed to not automatically download a new version. Like wildcard I am reluctant to have any kind of automatic process applied to my 750 Live as I have had numerous issues with it in the past but I am getting fed up of Home interfering whenever I try to use Route Planner.

I am currently on v9.054 of the App and have a few issues such as the 3D/2D but it is working "reasonably" at the moment but I have ignored the latest Map Update because I hate it when the damn thing starts going ape on me!

Before I backup everything and let 2.81.2218 have its way is the consensus that I should do it?

jack.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninstall 2.81.2218 if that's on your machine. If a lower version, then proceed.......

The following assumes the user has 2.7 installed but it works on all lower versions:

Firstly install version 2.7 but do not run it.

If you go to: C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul there is a file called 'application.ini'.

If you open this file in notepad, you will see there is a section which says 'Version=2.7.5.2014'. Simply change this to read 'Version=2.8.1.2218'.

TomTom HOME will now be tricked into thinking it is the latest version. It will therefore not force you to update to the real version 2.8.

franb
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....or even http://www.anonym.to/?http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_8_0_2146_win.exe open with notepad and replace the line: Version=2.8.0.2146 with: Version=2.8.1.2218
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this debate over V8 vs V9 Navcore on an GOX40 device, for me there is one further consideration that I and others have experienced under V9.058 - the fact that it can eventually lock up your SIM card completely and cause it to stop operating permanently. Slow starts and Live service drop outs aside, for me I just dont want to risk killing my SIM again, hence staying with 8.371 gets my firm vote.
davemcwish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise that it had updated until after it happened so I've got 9.058; it's a nice (ish) layout.

Given the number of outstanding issues, particularly the very slow connection to the Live services, why did TT initiate the forced update ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: