Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom tom navigation through uk, germany, poland, and Ukraine
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom tom navigation through uk, germany, poland, and Ukraine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpetpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Tom tom navigation through uk, germany, poland, and Ukraine Reply with quote

I have a problem !

I need to navigate from Uk, through Germany, Poland and Ukraine, I'm doing this on a motorbike and cannot afford a dedicated motorcycle unit. Instead I have improvised a mouting bracket to hold my TTOne V4 in a protected area beneath the motorbike windscreen.

I had a UK only TTOne v4 which appeared to not have enough memory space to hold the Western europe map download

to solve this I bought a second TTOne V4 second hand, and this came with Western Europe installed, this was fine for the germany holiday

The problem that I now have is that I need poland and Ukraine, and I'm not aware that I have enough space on either to add those countries that I need (they both show as nearly full and have a capacity of 1GB each)

I had thought that I could erase UK from my UK only device and add eastern europe map, but it seems that eastern europe is over 2GB, so would not fit anyway... and these devices have internal memory rather than cards

Could you advise on a suitable device which had all of these areas installed, I can sell on my usused second hand devices to buy a more suitable one

........ or is there anything available for iphone which may provide the missing countries ? (this would be perhaps less than ideal though

i can appreciate that there are probably devices in the £400-£600 price range that can do this easily, but unfortunately I don't have this kind of money to spend at the moment
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Europe_East is only 222mb, NOT over 2 gb.

Download 222 MB
Highlights of this map release: For the whole of Eastern Europe: 12000 km additional local roads in Poland and house number and road updates in Slovakia, Lithuania.
Detailed map covering Eastern Europe.
Map coverage statistics:
countries fully covered (99.9%): Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia
countries partially covered: Romania (13%), Bulgaria (54%), Latvia (63%), Croatia (60%), including coverage extension on Adriatic coast) and Ukraine (38%)
connector roads: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Serbia, Belarus
roads covered: 1.2 million km
carpetpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, that was rather stupid of me ! It's only a smallish file. So I'll need to check which device has enough space.
Thanks very much for pointing that out !

Paul
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not stupid, just mistook what was showing. I make a career out of doing that! Wink

See how much space unit 1 has available with the UK map on itnow. It appears the UK & ROI map is only 166 mb.

If that's the only one on the unit, you have room for both in 1 gb, I would think.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if you want ONE unit to take you all the way, or are happy with your two ONEs (confusing this!)

If you want to swap them for one device that does everything, the trick is to find a model with an SD card slot. Once you have that available, you can add as many maps as you like and switch between them.
Unfortunately, the only model TT are still selling with one is the Gox50, but it's worth checking their "outlet store" for refurbished deals on other modelssuch as the Gox40. (or all the usual places for second-hand x20,x30, or the Ones which had card slots)
carpetpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, seriously, I may well be more stupid than you can imagine !

i just had another look on properties for the device, and the thin sliver that I thought was the free space....... was actually the 'used' space, and I have tonnes of space for this new map on the device which already has Uk and Western europe on it !

fantatic, I'll get it downloaded

......so do I have to select the correct device in the drop down list on TT's website, as the TTOne V4 is not listed, I think it goes up to V3 then starts listing other models...... I suppose the map will be the same or close enough to be compatible with my device ?

many, many thanks for your help !!

Paul
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a lot of confusion about the "v" numbers for the various ONE models (all TomTom's fault!) and it ended up with shops calling them one thing and TomTom themselves calling them another.

but if you go to the TomTom website, there's a place where you can enter the first two letters of your serial number and it will tell you what model they refer to it as.

I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here you go...
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: