Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert for other devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert for other devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are indeed looking at an Android version of the application. The major problem here is that the Android development landscape is extremely immature when it comes to simple things as map rotation (and touch counter rotation). At each step in the porting we get the feeling that nobody has ever needed to do the things we need to do for a properly functioning application.

I am no Apple fanboi, but the iPhone SDK is orders of magnitude more thought through than the current Android SDK. We could offer a dumbed down Android version (for example, without any maps) but we are reluctant to cut functionality that we consider vital for the app to be successful.

If any of you lot have done extensive Android view manipulation work - please step forward and help us out.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MaDProFF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little play with the Dell Streak today, and got to say was very very impressed, but one of my first thoughts was is their a Camera alert app for Android,,,,,,,, hence I am here, and I guess the answer is a no Sad, but I do think Android is gathering pace quite quick. I own a Iphone 3gs, and not gone onto a 4g, am very tempted with a dell streak, but I have to own up, as I drive an Audi, sat nav has no way to put in POI's, and even if it had a speed camera data base added it has no voice, and not really an option to update on a very reg basis, for me speed Camera App is very important, and sort of determines the phone I use. Sad
iarose
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Blackberry Apps Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
ok, for the record, here is a copy of an email query and the reply:

Quote:
When will the database be released for the blackberry as it is the best selling phone in the uk as well as Europe and out sells the iphone 5 to 1

Quote:
While that may be true we are not talking about selling phones. CamerAlert is an app for phones that needs to be purchased by phone users. Of the 4 BlackBerry users I know only one has bought an app for their phone. Of the 5 Android users I know 4 have bought at least one app form the Android Market. Of the many Nokia users I know most have bought an app and all have downloaded free apps. Of the iPhone users I know every one has bought multiple apps.

I am interested to know if views have changed with regards to producing Blackberry Apps. I currently use Camera Alert on both an iPhone and TomTom Sat Nav. Like a number of my friends I have come to the conclusion that a Blackberry would better suit my needs and am about to purchase one and would very much like to use Camera Alert on it. Are you going to support this platform in the future?
The issue is not how many phones are out there but how many users are willing to pay for apps. At present, in general, BlackBerry users don't buy enough apps or us to warrant developing CamerAlert for that platform. Ditto for Nokia at the moment. If the market changes then yes, we may consider it.

Hope that helps?

MaFt
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What point were you trying to make?

Incidentally I just looked at the BlackBerry development environment. It is only available for Windows, and 32 bit at that. How last century is that???

Nevertheless. We are looking into all options. Stay tuned.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
iarose
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly apologies that what I was trying to say wasn't really clear. All I was trying to say was that when I start using a Blackberry it would have been good to be able to use Camera Alert on it as I currently use this fantastic app on my iPhone all the time. Thanks for this fantastic iPhone App. As I don't understand what is involved in writing an App could you possibly explain your Windows and 32 bit comment if it is possible to explain simply. Sorry to be so ignorant as I am sure most people will understand it.

Thank you for your time
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developing for BlackBerry requires older computer hardware and software. I would have to dedicate an old PC to that, or find another workaround.

In hindsight my comment isn't entirely fair though. iOS development is also limited to a particular hardware/software (you can only do it on Apple computers). But at least Apple force developers to use the newest tools.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing another benefit of iOS is that Apple make the hardware and the operating system, so there may be a little more control and consistency.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: