Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SUGGESTION - Display Changes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SUGGESTION - Display Changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonywheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: SUGGESTION - Display Changes Reply with quote

As a new user I find CamerAlert a good application but I'd to suggest some minor changes to remove detail/clutter from the display.

List View: When using the List view the range shown is too accurate with too much detail shown (in my view). I'd like to suggest that you limit the degree of accuracy in distances shown - do we really need to see 1468yds? I'd suggest use of colour banding codes to indicate ranges (proximity according to a combination of speed and range) - perhaps overlaid with a simple distance figure (1468yds would equate to 3/4 Mile, 493 yds to 450+ yds, etc). I find the application very powerful but the displays are a little too detailed.

Warning/Alerting Display: The ability to pop-up warnings overlaid onto other applications (satnav in particular) is great (thanks for better icon quality in latest build). Have you considered allowing the user to define the screen location and size of such warnings? The speed pop-up might be configurable in size, and the cross screen warning bar when approaching a camera changed slightly - this could ideally show a vertical countdown bar (dependant upon time to camera not distance) that reduces in height as you approach the camera.

Satnav Integration: Is it possible for CamerAlert to 'push' the latest camera database into common sat nav applications that many of us run on our GPS equipped smartphones? We pay for your Database and both TomTom and Co-Pilot can accept your Database as PoIs in the correct format. It should not be too hard, therefore, to write the code required to 'push/overwrite' the relevant PoI file for the satnav program concerned. If this is possible then you could leave the sat nav to plot the cameras on its map screen and we could use CamerAlert to provide (user configured) po-ups optimise to support the information alreay being shown to the driver on his standard satnav (via the POIs). Does the Google Map API allow you to put dynamic icons onto the Android Google Map/Navigation app? Now that would be good.....

Just a few ideas. An excellent application - I look forward to the developments.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

List View
Speaking with my Verifier's hat on. I like the accuracy of the distance shown. When I'm verifying a camera site I like to approach it a lot slower than the speed limit, of course only if traffic conditions allow me to do so safely! The slower you approach a camera site, the more accurate the GPS reading will be. This is essential for verifying but not at all for daily warnings.

Warning/Alerting Display
You say that the List view the range shown is too accurate with too much detail shown, surely adding a vertical countdown bar to the over warning would be showing too much as well. If you get an over speed warning you should be concentrating on decreasing your speed not watching a countdown bar.

Satnav Integration
Great idea! Thumbs Up
It would require each piece of software to have an SDK (Software Development Kit). TomTom in the past created one and PocketGPSWorld used it to write the POICapture add-on of which there were two types, one for TomTom GO/Rider/ONE users and one for TomTom Navigator for PDA users. Unfortunately TomTom withdrew support for the SDK for devices running v7 firmware or later. I don't know if any other navigation software currently has an SDK.

These are just my view, so please keep posting more ideas! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
tonywheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea would be to show a simpler display when operating in the pop-up mode - not to add more detail. You could perhaps remove some of what is shown across the red bar. It is this red horizontal bar that I think obscures too much detail. Hence my suggestion below:

"Have you considered allowing the user to define the screen location and size of such warnings? The speed pop-up might be configurable in size, and the cross screen warning bar when approaching a camera changed slightly - this could ideally show a vertical countdown bar (dependant upon time to camera not distance) that reduces in height as you approach the camera"

Question I'd welcome your thoughts on providing such a user customisation as well as adapting the pop-up display slightly too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: