Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 9.058 for x40 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

9.058 for x40 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Shad, where are you!!! Surprised

I know just how you feel. I'm trying desperately to follow this thread, but I'm beginning to lose the will to live. Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
dhn wrote:
Shad, where are you!!! Surprised

I know just how you feel. I'm trying desperately to follow this thread, but I'm beginning to lose the will to live. Rolling Eyes

There is an old saying about too many cooks spoiling the broth but at pocketgpsworld.com it seems to me that this saying could sometimes be transposed to the number of moderators posting in one thread.

In my opinion no more than two moderators should be given the right to review and comment on posts in any one section of the forum and members of forum Staff should be encouraged to post only when they have a constructive point to make that would assist the topic under which the thread has been started. If moderators only had to look at and comment on a smaller number of posts then this would probably stop them feeling that any post that was more than 3 lines long was going to take too much of their time to read.

The numerous In Jokes and banter between the many different forum moderators, verifiers and staff members (whilst no doubt well intended) should ideally be reduced a little as they can sometimes be offputting to other forum members.

Last edited by WackyRaces on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen many of these issues with 9.058:

Up to five minutes for the blue bar to appear or to reappear if signal is lost such as in a tunnel.

When set to switch to 3D whilst navigating it doesn't automatically.

Loses power when off/standby if route is not cleared.

Often reboots on getting first traffic information which also clears the route.

EPT still works but the icon is almost invisible - it is less prominent and my poor aged related close vision may not help.

The screen freezing but still navigating was fixed in v9.058 from v8.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
EPT still works but the icon is almost invisible - it is less prominent and my poor aged related close vision may not help.

Where is the icon now? I looked hard when I was in a tunnel but could not see it anywhere. Before you couldn't miss seeing it. Did the Swiss TomTom owners complain it was taking up too much of their screen space as they obviously spend a lot of time driving through tunnels compared to the largely tunnel impoverished UK.

Quote:
The screen freezing but still navigating was fixed in v9.058 from v8.

I gave a relative of mine a 750 as a present a year ago and I have to maintain and update it for them. It also used to experience the screen freezes while voice navigation continued problem under Navcore 9.026 and earlier. So if the fix was in a Navcore it must have been in Navcore 9.054 (which the x50 series would run but the x40 series would not) onwards. I do actually wonder if the screen freezes were not actually caused by defects in the format of the HD Live data transmissions that have now been fixed at the server end.

I'm surprised that Andy P has apparently encountered so few of these problems that some of us have had when he seems to use his TomTom a great deal. Perhaps some of us are just afflicted with more analytical minds that naturally spot all the ways in which our TomTom is failing us rather than just being grateful for those things it does manage to do correctly.
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, dear Wacky - what have you said now!

I guess the main reasons for member posts are that we want to be satisfied that we are not suffering singularly with TT challenges and that we hope that someone has a definitive answer to those from which we do suffer?

My experiences here are that advice I receive is pretty good and generally works!
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:

The numerous In Jokes and banter between the many different forum moderators, verifiers and staff members should be discouraged as they are offputting and intimidating to other forum members.

On this point I agree with you - there is occasionally too much 'moderator banter' for my liking but "offputting" and "intimidating".... I don't think so, just irrelevant.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking to the points at hand...

WackyRaces wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
When I timed it earlier this evening, on my Go940 running v9.058 it only took 1 minute 7 seconds after the navigation screen appeared to retrieve the HD Traffic information and show it in the side bar.

What are you calling a Navigation screen though? Do you mean the screen after the blue bar on the right has appeared?

No, as I said, I timed it from the first moment the normal nav screen appeared after switch-on, i.e. BEFORE the traffic bar appeared.

WackyRaces wrote:
Perhaps you never Clear Route but merely always Navigate to somewhere else while a route is currently set (which would not revert you back to 2D mode). Again one only has to Clear Route if one's TomTom does not spend its whole life on charge to stop the battery running flat.

Exactly.
Now, I said I would experiment further as I normally keep the 940 on the dock, but realised this morning that all I need to do is look at my 950, which sits on a bookcase most of the time unused.

It DOES NOT run down in a day or two.

WackyRaces wrote:
It is very difficult to get the volume slider to move in an increase volume direction when it is in the car and you are driving. The volume slider appears but you cannot move it to the right.

I DO NOT get this problem on any device (a 940, a 950 or a One XL)

WackyRaces wrote:
Are you perhaps running Navcore 8.371 rather than Navcore 9.058 for the purpose of responding to this section of my original questions? I never had this problem in Navcore 8.371

Rolling Eyes TRUST ME. I know what software I'm running.

WackyRaces wrote:
EPT always came on with Navcore 8.371 ... but now with Navcore 9.058 it does not appear.

Is this on an x40 or an x50? I don't use many long tunnels, but I'm fairly confident I have seen it on at least one of my units since v9.058

EDIT: I know WackyRaces is NEVER wrong, but here's EPT working on my Go940, running v9.058 software, yesterday 2/2/2011 on the A406 in Walthamstow, as I went under the A112 roundabout.

Cool

WackyRaces wrote:
But in Navcore 9.058 I find that Navigating to a fuel POI with a route currently set just clears the current route and makes the petrol station now my final and only destination.

All I can say is this does NOT happen to me on either a 940 or a 950.

WackyRaces wrote:

I find it doesn't navigate you to better than a mile away from the Googled POI more than 50% of the time. I read elsewhere there was due to some serious translation error in terms of the GPS coordinates when TomTom make use of Google's GPS coordinate data. My understanding is that it is the way TomTom uses the coordinates rather than Google's data which is at fault.

I think we need some specific examples from you to go further with this....

WackyRaces wrote:

I am sure that they would obviously hire you for a job at TomTom support in Holland like a shot given that you can't seem to find anything at all wrong with the functions of the x40 and x50 series under Navcore 9.058

WackyRaces wrote:

I'm surprised that Andy P has apparently encountered so few of these problems that some of us have had when he seems to use his TomTom a great deal. Perhaps some of us are just afflicted with more analytical minds....

That is plainly ridiculous and I'm afraid insulting. I'll try not to rise to your bait but I can assure you that I have found plenty of bugs and issues in TomTom software including v9.058 and HAVE REPORTED THEM AT LENGTH.
Terms of an NDA preclude me from explaining further, but many of them I have discussed here as well.

The point I am singularly failing to get across to you is that YOU are seeing issues that I am not. Therefore, you should be striving to find out what is wrong with YOUR set-up, rather then complaining continually about TomTom in general and the people here who spend a lot of their free time attempting to HELP people.

WackyRaces wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Unfortunately, this is not a bug but another "desired feature" according to the TT designers.

Surely you are an intelligent enough person with a critical enough faculty to recognise that no customer can actually want the various obvious longstanding current bugs

Stop lecturing me! It is that attitude that makes people not want to help you.

I have told you that it annoys me. I have also told you that TomTom have made a decision about certain features and how they work, or whether they are included or dropped from certain models.
I may well disagree strongly with some of those decisions, and often do not understand the logic, but that does NOT make them bugs.

WackyRaces wrote:
Quote:
P.S. Why All The Capital Letters on Each Word? Confused

Because they were topic headings rather than discussions within a topic

OK. If you really want to try to sort some of these issues out, what I suggest is this:
You start again, with an individual topic for each of the seven or eight issues you've listed above; simply and concisely stating 1. the exact problem, 2. the device you are seeing it on and 3. the steps you use to reproduce it.

Then people can reply with short statements saying if they see the same problem (their replies could even be just a "+1" or "-1" voting system) to determine whether the issue is widespread or not.

This might allow us to see the wood for the trees.

As you can see by this post, trying to deal with so many points at once makes it almost impossible to follow, and puts off so many forum users who might otherwise have something relevant to say.

Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
OK. If you really want to try to sort some of these issues out, what I suggest is this:

You start again, with an individual topic for each of the seven or eight issues you've listed above; simply and concisely stating 1. the exact problem, 2. the device you are seeing it on and 3. the steps you use to reproduce it.

Then people can reply with short statements saying if they see the same problem (their replies could even be just a "+1" or "-1" voting system) to determine whether the issue is widespread or not.

Thanks for your advice. I will give that a try. I presume you will also say that you haven't had any issues on your 940 with having to press the screen much harder in order for the press to be recognised since upgrading the unit from Navcore 8.371 to Navcore 9.058?

On my unit the increase in screen pressure required for a press to be recognised has been very substantial and happened directly after the change of Navcore.

These heavy screen press required problems do not exist on my relative's 750 unit running Navcore 9.024 so I had thought these issues were x40 series specific in conjunction with Navcore 9.028
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
I presume you will also say that you haven't had any issues on your 940 with having to press the screen much harder in order for the press to be recognised since upgrading the unit from Navcore 8.371 to Navcore 9.058?

Why would you presume that, when I haven't mentioned it?
On every TomTom I've ever owned, I have found updated software is often slightly slower or less responsive than the original version.
I always mention it to TomTom but usually live with it if other changes make it worth my while.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Why would you presume that, when I haven't mentioned it?
On every TomTom I've ever owned, I have found updated software is often slightly slower or less responsive than the original version. I always mention it to TomTom but usually live with it if other changes make it worth my while.

Actually I have discovered you were significantly more critical of the additional unresponsiveness of the screen under Navcore 9 of the x40 series back in September 2010 in your post #6 at www.yourtomtom.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14651&st=0 when you said:-

Quote:
People used to v8 will notice a few differences to the look and feel.
One issue is the screen response being rather slow and insensitive which I was hoping might have been improved before public release!

But of course as I have experience of both a 940 and a 750 unit I know that this slowness and unresponsiveness of the screen does not happen with Navcore 9.054 that has been running for a few months on my relative's 750 unit. I will be interested in seeing whether there is any difference in screen responsiveness on the 750 after I upgrade it to 9.058 on my next visit now that I know that I have to manually remove the 9.054 App in TomTom Home to force Navcore 9.058 to be offered to the 750.

I do find it strange that when you first used this Navcore (9.058) you were so strongly critical of the 940 screen's responsiveness under Navcore 9 but now you tell me it is the usual slowdown one gets with every successive new TomTom release even though the 750 with the same processor and screen does not appear to have this heavy key press required problem. I'm beginning to wonder if you have become so used to putting up with TomTom software defects for so long that all the numerous faults they have inflicted on us have now lost the level of individual distinctiveness in your mind that they have in mine.

Similarly in Post #18 of the same thread in the other forum (where you are a "Super Moderator and a large number of mods and members here are also members) on September 22nd 2010 you said:-

Quote:
1) If you switch to 3D manually then plan a route. It should stay in 3D all the time UNLESS you manually clear the route or it reaches your destination and clears the route. It will then switch back to 2D, but as soon as you plan another route it should switch back to 3D.

Yes, it's a stupid feature, but TT told me "lots of people asked for it to be this way". Somehow I doubt it.

So in September you agreed this was a really stupid and annoying change by TomTom but now you seem to think its no problem at all.

I know that nearly all of the issues I listed above are things lots of other people have had problems with because I found them posted across the various TomTom internet forums when I searched to see if other people had issues with 9.058 Lots of other people see 9.058 as a failed Navcore that TomTom should have replaced with another bugfixed one within a few weeks but now you seem totally happy with it and seem to suggest that I am the only one who has any significant issues using it.

I do find this all very strange when the widespread opinion across internet forums is that Navcore 9.058 has a number of serious bugs that TomTom needs to urgently address if they actually expect owners of those units to consider buying another TomTom Satnav.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few problematic 540's (sticking/shutting down etc) and generally have found that running the clearflash 3 times & then doing a soft reset "usually" sorts these niggles out.

If, after that, you still have problems then the next stage would be to reload the application and THEN come back with any further problems.

Try it, you've nothing to lose.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will make one final reply to one part of your latest tirade and then leave you to it.

WackyRaces wrote:

Similarly in Post #18 of the same thread in the other forum (where you are a "Super Moderator and a large number of mods and members here are also members) on September 22nd 2010 you said:-

Quote:
Yes, it's a stupid feature, but TT told me "lots of people asked for it to be this way". Somehow I doubt it.

So in September you agreed this was a really stupid and annoying change by TomTom but now you seem to think its no problem at all.

From my last reply....

Quote:
I have told you that it annoys me. I have also told you that TomTom have made a decision about certain features and how they work, or whether they are included or dropped from certain models.
I may well disagree strongly with some of those decisions, and often do not understand the logic, but that does NOT make them bugs.

... and now, I give up. You are determined to try to pick holes in everything I say, but obviously nothing I say actually sinks in.

I also offered to help with your individual issues, but really cannot see why I bothered. Good luck.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I also offered to help with your individual issues, but really cannot see why I bothered. Good luck.

But they are not my lone individual issues but general defects in Navcore 9.058 that bother a great number of owners of the x40 and x50 series apart from the veterans such as yourself who perhaps long ago became resigned to the fact that no product sold by TomTom will ever reliably do what it says on the tin.

I notice you didn't comment at all on my previous reference to your post in the other forum about responsiveness to screen pressure of the x40 series under Navcore 9.058. However I would never have posted in the way I did if you had not tried to make light of the various issues I currently have with Navcore 9.058 by implying that most people other than me do not have a problem with any of these defects in this Navcore.

Yet there have been numerous demands across the internet for TomTom to issue a replacement Navcore for 9.058 because of all the serious unresolved bugs that it actually still contains.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic locked. There is nothing new being said.
Feel free to start new topics on the specific issues you have.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(post of Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:49 am updated)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: