Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 930 refurb problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

930 refurb problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: 930 refurb problems Reply with quote

thanks to the great advise of this forum i bought a 930 refurb from tom tom back in july last year. at the time there were a few other members having major problems with their refurb units bought at the same time.
ive only used mine about 8-10 times in 6 months but ive suffered a few lockups and reboots while on a journey but can put up with that.
i do update the unit every now and then with the latest gps fix and only add the new cameras when i know im going on a long journey.
ive noticed the last 3 times ive turned it on that the battery is always totally drained even though it was fully charged the last time it was on and also the clock has to be set each time as it resets to 0.00 so its not stored in memory.

im hopefully off to america sometime this year and want to make sure ive got a fully working system.
as its a refurb im not sure if i got a full 1 year warranty or not.

is it worth me contacting them to see if anything can be done with it as i dont want to end up with a lemon and have to revert back to my 910 which still works perfectly.
thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say, from what you have described, if it's a faulty unit or just the day to day bugs that we all suffer.

When the battery goes flat, how long has it been left unattended?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you want to switch the unit off for a period longer than a few days give the reset button in the base of the device a prod, this ensures the device is fully off and it shouldn't drain the battery.
When you turn a TomTom off with the power switch it is really only put to sleep with certain processes still running consuming power, pressing the reset button shuts everything down. You won't lose any settings or preferences when you press the reset - Mike
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 refurb problems Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
as its a refurb im not sure if i got a full 1 year warranty or not.

According to Satnav-Discounts:
Quote:
A manufacturer refurbished product ships with the same 12 month TomTom, Navman Mio or Garmin warranty featured with new devices, so you can buy with complete confidence that your device is fully covered should you experience any technical difficulties.

Samsung Galaxy S21
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 refurb problems Reply with quote

Quote:
Hard to say, from what you have described, if it's a faulty unit or just the day to day bugs that we all suffer.

When the battery goes flat, how long has it been left unattended?

normally 3-4 weeks Darren. before and after a long journey i always fully charge it.

Quote:
When you want to switch the unit off for a period longer than a few days give the reset button in the base of the device a prod, this ensures the device is fully off and it shouldn't drain the battery.
When you turn a TomTom off with the power switch it is really only put to sleep with certain processes still running consuming power, pressing the reset button shuts everything down. You won't lose any settings or preferences when you press the reset - Mike

now thats a new one on me Mike.
i thought turning off means off. had no idea it could still have processors wuring away inside. when i do turn it on it might have 5 minutes before it dies of battery. strange how the clock resets though if there is still a little power left.

Quote:
A manufacturer refurbished product ships with the same 12 month TomTom, Navman Mio or Garmin warranty featured with new devices, so you can buy with complete confidence that your device is fully covered should you experience any technical difficulties.

thanks Anita. ive searched many times on their outlet store pages but couldnt find anything.

thanks once again for all your great advise.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 refurb problems Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
now thats a new one on me Mike.

i thought turning off means off. had no idea it could still have processors wuring away inside. when i do turn it on it might have 5 minutes before it dies of battery. strange how the clock resets though if there is still a little power left.

On the x40 and x50 series running Navcore 9 if you don't Clear Route before turning off your unit the battery is completely drained down in less than a day even if it was fully charged when you last turned it off. This didn't used to happen on the x40 series with Navcore 8.

Also baffling is that under Navcore 9 that when you reach your destination and the unit announces you have reached it the route is not then cleared for you by the unit. You have to manually clear the route before switching it off or your battery will be rapidly flattened. To the best of my memory the route was cleared by the unit itself when you reached your destination on my 940 under Navcore 8.371 and earlier v 8 Navcores.

As the 930 doesn't have Live Services the Clear Route issue is possibly less critical to saving the battery but may still make a difference. But anyhow you certainly wouldn't expect your unit to power up again without being put on charge after a few weeks in the drawer because it is a power hungry TomTom. Garmins can apparently go for weeks on end in the Off condition after a full charge and still start up again with plenty of battery left when next used. No doubt when they are turned off they actually are off unlike a TomTom.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that WackyRaces (oh that name brings back some memories)

i always clear the route at the end of a journey so its not that Smile

another thing i forgot to mention even though its not to do with the battery.
no matter what settings i try i cannot get the screen to dim to night mode.

in brightness preferences i have day colour on 80%
night colour on 20%
turn brightness down when dark not ticked (have tried it with it ticked as well)
switch to night view when dark ticked.
tried all the different combinations of ticking and unticking with no joy.

any ideas on this one.
thanks
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I think TT have done only a basic job with refurb units, ie reload map and software and probably a perfunctory test - 'it speaks!'. The light sensor is one of the two holes in the trim above the screen, try a finger over it to check for any response - setting may be off calibration.

What software is it running - it should be 8.351? If it is this version try removing and reinstalling by deleting it in 'manage my go' from both device and computer then clicking 'update my go'.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
another thing i forgot to mention even though its not to do with the battery. no matter what settings i try i cannot get the screen to dim to night mode.

in brightness preferences i have day colour on 80&
night colour on 20% turn brightness down when dark not ticked (have tried it with it ticked as well)
switch to night view when dark ticked. tried all the different combinations of ticking and unticking with no joy.

Sorry can't help there as switching to night view when it gets dark is one of the very few functions that actually works as advertised on my Go 940.
lyskamm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 refurb problems Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
On the x40 and x50 series running Navcore 9 if you don't Clear Route before turning off your unit the battery is completely drained down in less than a day even if it was fully charged when you last turned it off. This didn't used to happen on the x40 series with Navcore 8

Never experience this problem on my Go 950 (now on 9.058 but with previuos versions it was the same). Even without clearing the route, battery will last AT LEAST a couple of weeks.

Sadly this is not the case with my 930 (8.351) where the battery won't last (and the clock resets to 00:000 as mentioned before).. but I suppose that part of the "fault" is also due to the battery that by now is quite old.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 refurb problems Reply with quote

lyskamm wrote:
Never experience this problem on my Go 950 (now on 9.058 but with previuos versions it was the same). Even without clearing the route, battery will last AT LEAST a couple of weeks.

That's strange because my relative also owns a 750 and they have exactly the same problem with the battery running flat in a day or two if they don't Clear Route before turning the unit off.

When did you buy your 950 as perhaps TomTom finally fixed this on the hardware in later versions of the x50 series? My relative's 550 was new in late December 2009.
lyskamm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember well it was bought end of February last year (it was when they first extended the free Live services to one year)
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyskamm wrote:
If I remember well it was bought end of February last year (it was when they first extended the free Live services to one year)

So its potentially two months newer than the one my relative has. If this battery drain defect is hardware related I suppose that TomTom may have addressed it in later units in the x50 series.

On my 940 purchased in June 2009 the battery did not drain down unless the route was cleared until I upgraded from Navcore 8.371 to Navcore 9.058 when this upgrade was offered by TomTom through TomTom Home. Same thing with a petrol station being offered as Go Via on your current route under Navcore 8.371 but not under Navcore 9.058 (where navigating to a petrol station that is near by or on route simply clears your current route without telling you this is going to happen)
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
another thing i forgot to mention even though its not to do with the battery.
no matter what settings i try i cannot get the screen to dim to night mode.

in brightness preferences i have day colour on 80%
night colour on 20%
turn brightness down when dark not ticked (have tried it with it ticked as well)
switch to night view when dark ticked.
tried all the different combinations of ticking and unticking with no joy.

any ideas on this one.
thanks
With "Turn brightness down when dark" checked my 720 display dims by so little that I just had to study it while covering the sensor to even notice it. I think you will find that the percentages you can choose only affect the night view, which I never use because it doesn't let it get dark enough before it changes. But I just tried checking "Switch to night view when dark" and the percentages do affect it then.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What software is it running - it should be 8.351? If it is this version try removing and reinstalling by deleting it in 'manage my go' from both device and computer then clicking 'update my go'.
yup, im on 8.351
ill give the delete and reload a go. thanks.

Quote:
"Switch to night view when dark" and the percentages do affect it then.
sadly this does nothing for me. the icon in the menu changes to night view but it does nothing to the screen.

i turned my trusty 910 on last night which hasnt been used in almost 6 months and its still got a full tank of battery. if only they had made the 910 a ruddy different shape. im sure the designer was on a feng shui trip that day.

once again thanks everyone for the advice
jim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: