Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Testing feedback
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino_Donis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Testing feedback Reply with quote

I have been testing this an until yesterday its been working great, I really like the fact that you can leave it running in the background and it still warns you via audio messages. i have been disappointed that there isn't a TomTom app for Android as used it with Windows Mobile (HTC HD2). I opted for CoPilot on Android but was disappointed to be honest (poi management is a nightmare!) However its great that I can run CameraAlert in the background and have Copilot (or Google navigation etc) running in the foreground and can still get speed camera audio alerts.

Yesterday I turned on the "Over Speed Warnings" as I was traveling down the A404 towards M4 J8/9 there were Specs cameras 40mph for a bit, I cleared these and accelerated to 70mph :-) as the dual carriageway returned to the national speed limit however I kept getting overspeed warning and the 40MPH symbol flashing up (nice touch btw). This continued as I joined the M4 towards London so had to switch it off. It clearly isn't recognising the end of the speed restriction or has the speed limit for the road incorrect (M4 40mph????). Clearly a bug...

Other suggestions:-
I like the touch with the large over speed limit warning could you make an option to flash this up for speed camera warnings even when the device is running in the background, may be make the size configurable too i.e. full screen, half, quarter, top corner etc. with the type of camera...

The photos that represent the speed camera location and type really clutter the map when zoomed out. I think it would be cleaner to only show these when zoomed in and then when zoomed out show small markers - may be colour coded?

Thanks for the great work, its a great program just what I have been waiting for...

CamerAlert V1.0.0.333
Device: HTC HD2 running Android 2.2 (HTC Desire HD build)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Testing feedback Reply with quote

Dino_Donis wrote:
Yesterday I turned on the "Over Speed Warnings" as I was traveling down the A404 towards M4 J8/9 there were Specs cameras 40mph for a bit, I cleared these and accelerated to 70mph :-) as the dual carriageway returned to the national speed limit however I kept getting overspeed warning and the 40MPH symbol flashing up (nice touch btw). This continued as I joined the M4 towards London so had to switch it off. It clearly isn't recognising the end of the speed restriction or has the speed limit for the road incorrect (M4 40mph????). Clearly a bug...

can you locate this on the submission map and see if it is marked as an end camera or not? it could simply be that we are missing the 'end' data tag for the camera rather than a bug in the app. if it is then it's a quick bit of data-editing at my end then you redownload the database and bobs your uncle.

MaFt

EDIT TO ADD: have found the cameras and they are marked correctly. perhaps it is a bug then that SPECS END are not being honoured in the background?
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt,

I travel that stretch about 1-2 a month. I think the lastcamera is 74738 on the prsent camera release. However if you have a lookat the map there are oads of 40mpf fixed and mobile cameras on adjacent roads to the M4 into London - A4 in particular.
Is it possible that the App was pinging them??

Also on the A404, there was Spec almost on the roundabout which was also and 'end' camera shown as removed, because the App is using and old database, maybe there is conflict there??

I won't be down there until Friday, so i can't try and duplicate it.

Just some ideas / thoughts.

Cheers, Bob
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to test the "end specs while app is in background" later today. but yes, it may be other cameras nearby...

MaFt
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also possible that the distance to the End SPECs (as per map) was too big. We only catch the event if you are less than 100 yards away from the supposed camera location.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've tested this but can't reproduce it... perhaps it was other nearby cameras giving the warnings?

MaFt
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
It is also possible that the distance to the End SPECs (as per map) was too big. We only catch the event if you are less than 100 yards away from the supposed camera location.

Do you mean Google map tile, or the actual physical location of the SPECS when compared to how near you drive to it?

Bo Peep and I verified those SPECS on the A404 that are close to the M4 junction. I'm sure that when we verified them they were accurately located to the road and map. The SPECS are:

South East: SPECS:74741@40 (start) to SPECS:74738@40 (end)

North West: SPECS:74464@40 (start) to SPECS:74463@40 (end)

I have just checked and they are accurately placed (on the map) and they have the correct "start" and "end" tags.

If necessary we could go and have a look and try with the latest version of the database on the latest version of Android CamerAlert, however the SPECs are about 30 miles away from us so we'd have to plan the journey.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be driving down through there on Friday night, I'll have the beta stuff - which is what the OP has presumably.
The only difference is i'll be turning right and driving up to my Country as opposed to turning left and driving toward London, so I won't be subject to any of the 40mph on the surrounding roads that the OP was..

But I'll post back Friday night and let you know what happens, it may save someone a trip, then again it may make one necessary Smile

Cheers, Bob

edit by me.

Just downloaded the 'real' app, but will still drive that way to see what happens.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing feedback Reply with quote

Hi Dino_Donis

Dino_Donis wrote:
as I was traveling down the A404 towards M4 J8/9 there were Specs cameras 40mph for a bit, I cleared these and accelerated to 70mph :-) as the dual carriageway returned to the national speed limit however I kept getting overspeed warning and the 40MPH symbol flashing up (nice touch btw). This continued as I joined the M4 towards London so had to switch it off. It clearly isn't recognising the end of the speed restriction or has the speed limit for the road incorrect (M4 40mph????). Clearly a bug...

CamerAlert V1.0.0.333
Device: HTC HD2 running Android 2.2 (HTC Desire HD build)

Bo Peep and I were in Marlow today. When we'd finished in Marlow we drove down the A404 towards the M4 J8 and through the 40 mph SPECs zone. This is this first time that we've been through a SPECS zone with CamerAlert running. CamerAlert work as expected both ways, i.e. it announced the average speed cameras and automatically showed the average speed. When we left the 40 mph SPECs zone the average speed stopped showing. There were no false alerts.

Our system:
HTC Desire
CamerAlert: v1.0.1.346
Database: 9.013 (while we were out 9.014 was released)

Have you been on the A404 since? Have you had the same problems or have they stopped?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: