Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 9.058 for x40 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

9.058 for x40 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it might have been Navcore 9.058s particular method of interaction with the TomTom servers following an update of Mapshare, QuickGPSFix and PocketGPS Speedcam POIs etc that has upset them so that they are now refusing to let the unit log on to them under any Navcore at all. From what others have said that may take a phone call to TomTom support and some form of Live services account reset to resolve.

And/or it may even take a return to base at TomTom and the installation of one of the new SIM cards better liked by Navcore 9 to properly resolve the issue. But let us hope it does not come to that.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I didn't do any of those and mine went belly up within days of the V9.058 upgrade. My 'old type' SIM (whatever that is) works fine after winding back to V8 and resetting it. TTCS have acknowledged that there are issues with both V9.054/058 software versions that cause problems, and indicate that a future release will be issued to address this.

Apart from those absolute facts which I know from personal experience, anything else is conjecture for me, so I for one am going to sit tight with a working GO 940 with V8 software, until a known good release is issued.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavyGravyDavy wrote:
Apart from those absolute facts which I know from personal experience, anything else is conjecture for me, so I for one am going to sit tight with a working GO 940 with V8 software, until a known good release is issued.

That would be ok if the old version 8.371 wasn't also unfit for purpose as far as I'm concerned due to its frequent repeated spontaneous reboots and lock ups and its propensity for screen navigation to freeze while the voice directions continued as normal (actually the screen freezes were a different problem presumably caused by the login to the HD Traffic servers as this also used to happen on my relative's 750 that had a v9 Navcore from the outset).

All of those points have been addressed in Navcore 9.058 but a series of new problems (loss of SIM connectivity, slow connection to Traffic services of up to five minutes when you don't get the SIM error, loss of EPT display through tunnels on the 940, very heavy button presses now needed on all the screens, severe problems increasing the volume level in 2D display mode and the horrible reversion back to 2D mode from 3D mode whenever the route is cleared) have all been introduced. And I forgot in the above list the disimprovement of petrol station POI information where the address and phone number is now no longer shownn on the POI itself and you have to press a Show Information button that frequently refuses to show any further information about the petrol station. Not to mention the loss of the satellite signal strength bars or any information on the current charging status of the unit when the unit is currently connected to a power supply.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know...exactly why I'm not going there.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Very Happy

Left it on all night to flatten the battery and woke up about 3am and pressed the on button a few more times until the backlight didn't even come on. Left it off all day and then plugged it into the power about half five and tried it when I left work at six and it connected first time (after the usual 3-5 minute delay Rolling Eyes ). Stopped off on the way home and still working when got back in the car and restarted it.

Sighs with relief....

Thanks to Claude and Dave for providing the info

Rob.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavyGravyDavy wrote:
TTCS have acknowledged that there are issues with both V9.054/058 software versions that cause problems, and indicate that a future release will be issued to address this.

WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
Left it on all night to flatten the battery and woke up about 3am and pressed the on button a few more times until the backlight didn't even come on. Left it off all day and then plugged it into the power about half five and tried it when I left work at six and it connected first time (after the usual 3-5 minute delay Rolling Eyes ). Stopped off on the way home and still working when got back in the car and restarted it.

Success here also this afternoon by completely flattening the battery on my 940 and then restarting the unit in a new location that was also in a different transmitter mast area from the one in which my Live unit SIM card would previously not connect to the network or therefore also to Live services.

My unit had been off and in a completely battery flattened condition (would not turn on again at all even for a second or two) for around 40 hours when I drove only around 4 miles away from here this afternoon but to a location I knew was definitely covered by a different transmitter mast (my local Vodafone transmitter mast is half a mile away from me but is only about 15m high and only has a couple of brackets on it and about a 1 mile reach to cover the local station and a short distance of a few hundred yards on the nearby dual carriageway that previously had no coverage) and then connected my unit to the cigarette lighter socket and turned it on and also immediately cleared the long route to Spain that had been so efficiently draining the battery for the last 40 hours. The reason that I cleared the route immediately after unit switch on was because having a route set when the SIM is also having trouble connecting to Live services only seems to make the problem worse when the unit is powered up since the route will also then be actively attempting to poll the Live servers for traffic information on all the roads that are on that route.

I then also did not go to the Network status button now hidden away beneath the Status & Information and Version Information menu screens or go to Live Service and My Services or Change Preferences and then MyTomTomaccount menus as I felt that doing any of those things before the SIM card in the unit had connected to the network of its own accord could upset it. I then waited about 10 minutes and finally plucked up courage to go to the Network button hidden below Status & Information and Version Information and found that I now had a 3 bar connection to the network and an IMEI and SIM ID number were both shown.

At this point I then set a 40 mile route and let the unit work out the route and then waited and sure enough the traffic bar popped up on the right of the screen with the scrolling circle/wheel icon showing it was accessing the Live services. Eventually after three or four minutes the wheel stopped spinning and a traffic delay on the route in question (which included travelling on the M25 between J9 and 15 around 5pm) was shown.

So whilst it does seem very unlikely that just running the unit down to a state where the battery is low enough to not turn back on would reset the SIM card it does seem that in conjunction with making sure you soft reset and then turn the unit off where you have the no SIM ID or IMEI number shown and the 1001 SIM card error and then turning it back on only in what you are sure is now a different GSM transmitter mast area does fix the problem.

However I must note that I did experience the same SIM lock out at Lulworth Cove in Dorset in October and my solution then just involved turning the unit off and driving about 15 miles up the road to Wareham and turning it back on again at Wareham where I found the 1001 SIM card error did not now happen and the Live services were restored. But I definitely did not completely flatten the battery on that particular occasion.

So it would appear that the most crucial action is actually to soft reset the unit and then turn the unit off in the mobile cell where you find it has a problem connecting to the network and to then drive some way away to a new transmitter mast area and to only turn it on again when reaching that new transmitter mast area. It may well be that it is that action alone that resets the unit but that once you lose the ability to connect to the network in a certain mobile mast area and get the 1001 SIM area the unit will not then re-establish a connection to the network on its own if it is simply left on no matter how far away you drive from the original transmitter mast cell where you first had the problem. Running the battery down to a point where the unit will not turn on may help but I am sceptical about this as only physically disconnecting the battery from the unit should cause a hard reset of the SIM card.

I suspect the most crucial actions to get your SIM card connection back may actually be to Soft Reset the unit by holding down the power key till it reboots and then immediately turn the unit off and then drive 10 miles or so away from the transmitter mast where you had the problem and turn it on again when you are sure you are in a new transmitter mast area. Then when you turn the unit on again don't touch it (other than to enter any PIN number you may have set) for at least 10 minutes before looking at the Network button and also don't look at the Live Services/My Services or the MyTomTomaccount screens during this 10 minute period. Doing any of those things before the unit has re-established a network connection with the SIM card on its own may confuse it or interrupt it and stop from it doing so and cause it to fall back in to its original unable to talk to the network state.

It seems clear to me there is nothing actually wrong with the SIM card and the problem is actually with the v9.058 Navcore that has a programming fault that means it can get in to a state where it will no longer go through the processes required to establish a network connection with the SIM because something somewhere has crashed in the software so it can no longer talk to that particular mobile transmitter mast. Driving to a new mobile mast area and only turning the unit on there seems to reset the GPRS connection as the unit then goes through its normal network logon procedures and being in a different mobile mast area seems to clear out whatever data settings were previously preventing it from connecting to the network. However what doesn't seem to work is to leave the unit on where it first loses network connectivity and hoping it will re-establish a network connection on its own as you drive elsewhere with the unit still turned on.

If somebody else gets the 1001 SIM error and cannot connect to the network (including Not Connected permanently showing under the Network button along with no SIM or IMEI number being shown) can I ask them not to take any steps to flatten the battery but just to do a Soft Reset and then immediately turn their unit off and drive to an area 10 or more miles away that they are sure is in a different mobile mast area and then turn the unit back on there but not do do anything with it or check any network connection settings for at least 10 minutes until it has hopefully re-established a network connection on its own.

If that works we will know that flattening the battery to a point where the unit will not power up and/or then leaving it turned off for a further 12 to 24 hours after that point is not a required part of the process and that only soft resetting the unit, turning it off and then driving to a location definitely in a new mobile phone mast area and turning the unit on again there is required to clear the SIM error and reestablish network connectivity.

The bottom line is that I'm sure these SIM cards are not faulty so when exactly is TomTom going to come up with a new Series 9 Navcore that cannot get itself in to a state where it can no longer manage to connect to the network unless the various above steps are taken by the user to force it to clear the network connection error.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of a summary of the main points from that last post?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbooth reported the successful outcome of the battery flattening exercise in 97 words, nine of which were used to say thank you to members for their help.

WackyRaces took 1,425 words.

I wonder which one people bothered to read. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
Success! Very Happy

Sighs with relief....

Thanks to Claude and Dave for providing the info

Rob.

Great news Rob, glad you got it working. I also think it proves flattenning the battery does the trick.

At this point I think I will exit this particular debate, I think there is enough info for those coming along behind. Everything else is frankly just getting silly...
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Robbooth reported the successful outcome of the battery flattening exercise in 97 words, nine of which were used to say thank you to members for their help.

WackyRaces took 1,425 words.

I wonder which one people bothered to read. Confused

I suppose it all rather depends on whether they usually read The Sun/Daily Mirror/Daily Star or Times/Telegraph/Guardian or Independent or something in between like the Daily Mail or Daily Express. When I look at the length of many of the articles in some of the broadsheet Sunday newspapers even I am amazed that people are prepared to read them when all that is involved is basically a news story and not a novel.

I'm not personally convinced that "flattening the battery" is the key action in resolving this problem and based on my near identical 1001 SIM card connection error in October, but when I hadn't been doing anything to the 940 just beforehand that could have caused it, I actually think that doing a soft reset on the unit, immediately turning it off and the only starting it up again in the reception area of a different mobile phone mast from the area in which you couldn't get a connection with your SIM card may actually be the way that the problem is fixed.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is over 4 months since the first post in this thread and you would have thought that TomTom could have fixed some of the issues in this time.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did wonder if the battery drain was necessary. I'll see what we can do to make a sticky thread with main points which can be updated as people report their findings.

edit: spelling

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I'll see what we can do to make a sticky thread with main points ...

You'll have my eternal gratitude. I've tried to follow this thread but retired, dazed and confused, many pages ago.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces, my point was that, if you post the equivalent of a newspaper article to a forum, no matter how useful the points you make, few people will benefit from your words of wisdom, because they will have given up reading your post before reaching them.

A succinct post, giving the relevant details in a clear, concise manner, is far more useful to everyone than a long rambling post with the facts hidden deep within it.

Edited for typo - Anita
Samsung Galaxy S21

Last edited by Anita on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: