Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which one is best for me?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which one is best for me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbykansara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Which one is best for me? Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to the idea of getting a GPS for my PocketPC. I've just moved to a new state in the USA (Minnesota), and getting around a new city is not so easy. I've done a little preliminary investigation, and I'm under the impression that the two best GPS software/hardware combos for my iPaq are TomTom Navigator and CoPilot Live 5. There is no comparison of these products on the website. Which do people generally regard as the best? It appears that the TomTom product is more popular (or do the large number of TomTom related posts mean that the product has lots of problems?). I'm leaning toward the CoPilot Live version because of the Ipaq sleeve which means I can use it while walking around if I need to. I also like the idea of live traffic updates, and I don't know if TomTom offers this. But then again, I like the graphics of the TomTom screen better. BTW, is the TomTom Navigator for USA shipping with TomTom 3 software or version 2? Is there some other product I should be looking at that's even better? FWIW, I have a Compaq (HP) iPaq 3955. Thanks for helping me to decide what to buy.

Bobby
bobby@kansara.net
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- there is a comparison of the products on the site - in the comparison database
- TomTom is the most popular product in Europe, but not yet very popular in the US
- the iPAQ sleeve has nothing to do with CoPilot, you can use it with any software
- CoPilot does not have traffic updates, and TomTom will most probably also not have them in the US
- TomTom USA is shipping in version 2.24
- see the comparison database for other products worth looking at.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
bobbykansara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the great information. I have checked out the comparison database, and it is indeed informative. However, it's not exactly what I was referring to. I was looking for more than a feature comparison, but rather a "usage comparison." What I mean is: if the reviewer could only buy one product for use in the USA, which one would he/she buy?

I know that the answer always depends on my needs, but surely there must be one great overall product. If not, then even an answer like: "they're all pretty much the same" is helpful because then you know you can't make a bad choice. :D

I have read some bad user reviews about ALK's tech support and the usability of CoPilot on ZDNet's website and CNet's website. Anyone have any good experiences with CoPilot?

Which one would you buy for use in the USA?

Thanks again for a great site and great answers! Thumbs Up
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are all pretty much the same.

Well, they all DO navigate. But keep in mind that behind each of the programs sits a different group of people, a different philosophy. This will impact the presentation layer (the UI) most of all.

There is no one product on the market that meets all the requirements, and there will never be. Live with what you got.

We cannot confirm any bad experience with CoPilot support. Anyone?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Elijah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby you lucky SOB,

CoPilot 5 DOES have live traffic updates, BUT for Minnesota only at the current time. And guess where bobby lives??

I am in the same boat as you Bobby, I am in colorado and am contemplating copilot 5 or tomtom 3. Tomtom 3 is what ships with the usa version.

I am heavily leaning towards copilot 5 right now, because of all the live
features including possibilities of traffic. I talked to tomtom last week and they have no plans for tomtom navigator 3 usa to have traffic updates.

I am really almost ready to buy copilot 5. i have been researching for 3 weeks now. Now I am still debating the bluetooth receiver I like the navman 4410 the best because it has up to 30 hours on standard Nickel metal hydride batteries and shuts off when no bluetooth connection is present , however, you cannot buy that unit individually so you have to spend around $250 on ebay or up tp $450 retail.

However, CoPilot live 5 is offering the software for $99 if you send them your old navman software normally $150.

So if you buy a navman 4410 with manufacturer warranty (gotta have the 1 year warranty) on ebay for $250 then the Copilot software for $99 then the total is $350 for a nice software and a kick ass BT receiver.

The next option is to get the delorme bluelogger which has 8-9 hours battery life. Still debating which to do.

Hope this helps! - Elijah
Elijah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

correction bobby, the CPL5 is $199 (I posted $150 and if you send in a competitors software you receive a $100 discount making it only $99.

or alternatively you can always go with copilots very own BT receiver which won 1st place award on this website for BT receivers in 2003 however it only has a 5 hour battery life.
bobbykansara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your outstanding help. I think I'm going to go with the CoPilot Live 5 for two reasons:

1. Dave Burrows (who reviewed both programs) wrote in another forum that CPL5 does better with point-to-point addresses, whereas TTN3 does somethine else better that I don't have a specific need for.

2. CPL5 is available now and TTN3 isn't bundled in the USA yet (from what I've read)

3. Minnesota traffic is horrid and live traffic updates sounds pretty good.

You've all been tremendously helpful. Thank you very much.

A question for Lutz: Mr. Burrows said you're testing the CPL5 software maps in the USA. I know that the data in Europe is provided by NavTeq, and the US maps are made in-house. Are the maps reasonably accurate?

Thanks again.

Bobby
bobby@kansara.net
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the ALK maps in the US are pretty good. They are the newest maps on the market, so there is a better chance that they include new developments. But also old areas have improved - for example CP5 is the very first version of any navigation program that has my (four year old) address finally right.

Overall I think the maps are on par with NAVTEQ. Don't forget, it's a losing battle to keep the maps updated. You always only have a small number of surveyors against a huge number of road construction workers.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: