Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Home Critical update 2.8.0.2146
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Home Critical update 2.8.0.2146
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
In the time it took you to moan about tomtom you could have uninstalled your current version and reinstalled the version off the website.

So you apparently seem to think that it is defensible that to keep a TomTom Satnav running one regularly has to reformat and reinstall the operating system on their devices (or the same here with the software for their PC link) even when the end user has done nothing at all to bring about their currently non functioning state.

Microsoft gave up this kind of nonsense with the launch of Windows XP.

Most other pieces of consumer electronics hardware just work these days. Why is keeping a TomTom x40 or x50 series product in any kind of useful operational state a constant battle?

I also fail to see why it is necessary for a forum moderator to use a word that has a pejorative meaning like "moan" when it is surely only bound to give offence to forum members.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a moderator so I will use a term for your rants, 'whiner'.

There, do you feel better? Confused
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
I'm not a moderator so I will use a term for your rants, 'whiner'.

There, do you feel better? Confused

I believe you are still required to be courteous towards other forum members by the forum's own rules and I fear that the language you used has sadly fallen short of this requirement in this case.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So you apparently seem to think that it is defensible that to keep a TomTom Satnav running one regularly has to reformat and reinstall the operating system on their device

No I don't, probably because like many others here we don't have to perform such procedures. It begs the question why you have to though....

Quote:
I also fail to see why it is necessary for a forum moderator to use a word that has a pejorative meaning like "moan" when it is surely only bound to give offence to forum members.

Sigh! You asked for help. I offered a solution but instead of trying it you went of on an ill-informed rant about tomtom which was frankly too long and boring to bother to read.

I also note that the more knowlegable members of the forum haven't rushed to help you either. I can't understand why that is.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just compare two modern high tech electronics products I use called a Tivo and a TomTom.

The first one is a sophisticated PVR that records television programs across several platforms (Freeview, Freesat, Sky and Cable) and in eight years of ownership has given me nothing but feelings of positivity because its Linux operating system (the same Linux that Tivo firmware uses) is extraordinarily well designed and almost never hangs, reboots or refuses to cooperate in numerous other ways I have experience of with two different recent TomTom units. Yet like a Tivo you can add further utilities and programs as an end user through the many discussion threads in the forums at www.tivocommunity.com

A TomTom on the other hand is a device designed to get you from A To B and find addresses from a Live Google search and reroute you if traffic impedes your journey. You wouldn't have thought it was asking that much in a modern consumer electronics device but both the x40 and x50 series seem to severely struggle to complete any of these tasks either robustly or reliably.

It is clear that some of you who are moderators or frequent posters in these forums take a pride in working around the eccentricities of these units and feel it is part of the essential TomTom journey. However many of the rest of us are inclined to wonder why TomTom find it so difficult to design firmware that works robustly and reliably and the same goes for their PC application TomTom Home.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WackyRaces

WackyRaces wrote:
It is clear that some of you who are moderators or frequent posters in these forums take a pride in working around the eccentricities of these units

We are fortunate that we have a large number of people on this forum who know TomTom (and other SatNav) units inside-out and who are happy to help others, I for one are very grateful to them.

WackyRaces wrote:
... and feel it is part of the essential TomTom journey.

I can assure you that nobody thinks having to fight the unit, the management software, or anything else is right, nor a rite of passage. The unit should work all of the time, updates (maps and applications) should always work.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I can assure you that nobody thinks having to fight the unit, the management software, or anything else is right, nor a rite of passage. The unit should work all of the time, updates (maps and applications) should always work.

Thanks for your comments Privateer.

I never realised quite how many different moderators there are in these pocketgpsworld forums (although one obviously notes the most active ones in this particular section like Andy P and Dennis N) but in any case you certainly all seem to hold a most refreshingly diverse range of different opinions.

I do feel that TomTom currently lacks focus on producing reliable products instead of seemingly prioritising mainly only marketing and cashflow considerations by producing more products than it seems able to properly support because it often appears far more concerned about filling all the different price points in the market with products than it is about ensuring navigation and software resilience and robustness of all the units it produces.

Perhaps if its high end products didn't cost so much one might tend to be more forgiving of their failings.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
I do feel that TomTom currently lacks focus on producing reliable products...

You've hit the nail on the head. However if you look at it from TomTom's perspective, if you make a reliable and long lasting product then you won't sell another product.

What TomTom don't appear to realise is that reliable and long lasting products give you respect in the user community and you can still sell new maps and other services like Traffic to support your device, which you can't do if your user base has traded your devices in for something made by the competition.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
What TomTom don't appear to realise is that reliable and long lasting products give you respect in the user community and you can still sell new maps and other services like Traffic to support your device, which you can't do if your user base has traded your devices in for something made by the competition.

Plus if TomTom's competitors all gradually bring out reliable (or even free noting Google's activities with Smartphones) Satnav products at a good price with a better deal on maps (noting for instance Garmin's units with Lifetime European map updates for only £40 or £50 extra on the purchase price) then ultimately customers will take their business elsewhere.

TomTom had an edge for a while with IQ Routes and HD Traffic that meant customers who were demanding about Satnav facilities felt they had to buy a TomTom unit but now that edge is moving away from TomTom so if their products (or even their PC docking software returning to the subject of this thread) are a lot less stable and reliable than those of their competitors customers are going to be much less tolerant about it.
Pinkpanther
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the original problem with Home v2.8.0.2146, causing exactly the errors originally described.

I have used TomTom since the original "GO Classic" and am reasonably savvy with TomTom software.

I have downloaded the current version for Windows, which as far as I can see is the only appropriate version.

I have already uninstalled Home and tried re-dowloading the Home software befroe reinstalling it with the same results

I do not wish to get involved in any arguments, as to whose fault it is, but would ask if anyone can provide me with a solution to get me out of this mess please?

Best regards,

Pinkpanther
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Sigh! You asked for help. I offered a solution but instead of trying it you went of on an ill-informed rant about tomtom which was frankly too long and boring to bother to read.

Your suggested solution of reinstalling Home 2.8 did not work.

However the problem was largely fixed by removing the old North American map version (stored there by Home as a backup when the Latest Map Guarantee was used) from the \tomtom\HOME\download\map folder in My Documents on my computer and placing it elsewhere on my hard drive.

After this I could Update My Device without the various Javascript Chrome (js:chrome) error messages associated with the North America map in Home v2.8 (I had no trouble with Update My Device previously) but Home was still behaving strangely when I tried to add some POIs and threw various timeout and other errors interacting with the web I had not seen before even though the new POIs did download to my device.

I tried logging this with TomTom support in Amsterdam who predictably then claimed that I was the only customer who had ever reported this issue to them and that most customers were getting along with Home 2.8 just fine. After I persisted that the problem was well known in various web TomTom forums they grudgingly asked that I should send them a copy of my System Information screen (posted as an update to the support ticket they created) in order to escalate the matter to second line support.
Pinkpanther
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces,

I have exactly the same issues as you.

I've tried every solution suggested to no avail, but have stumbled into yet another anomoly.

I installed the same new Home software (2.8.0.2146) on another PC (Windows 7 Operating System) and it works perfectly with the same TT940 device.

My main PC runs Windows Vista.

Whan I get time, I'm going to unistall Home from my Vista PC and then do a thorough clean up of the registry to remove all traces of Home and then reinstall.

I am confident that this will solve the problem.

I'm surprised that this issue appears to be so rare, (by the lack of replies)

Best regards,

Pinkpanther
Pinkpanther
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've tried what I described in my last posting, but again to no avail.

I still have the fault.

I'm really disappointed with the lack of response on this issue.

Are WackyRaces and myself the only users who have this problem?

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance,

Pinkpanther
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinkpanther wrote:

I'm really disappointed with the lack of response on this issue.

People will answer if they have got anything useful to suggest - as you can see by other topics.
But a load of replies saying "it works for me" aren't a lot of help to you.

Personally, I'm on XP and so can't offer anything other than my sympathy.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Personally, I'm on XP and so can't offer anything other than my sympathy

But I'm also running Windows XP SP3 so that quite clearly isn't the cause of the js:chrome javascript errors being thrown up by TomTom 2.8 with some TomTom units after upgrading from v2.7 (where no problems with Home had been experienced).

Below is the official solution now offered to me by TomTom second line support after my comment that I did not have these problems with updating my 940 under Home v 2.7 You will see that they are now trying to blame the number of POIs that I have on the unit but this is hardly excessive and I don't have more than about twenty POIs other than the pocketgpsworld ones (which I also don't have set to show on the map or give warnings for in the case of the pmobile sets). Also they don't explain why the number of POIs I have didn't cause an issue with v2.7 or why the error messages actually related to an old North America map in the downloads directory and not to any of the POI files.

Quote:
I am pleased to inform you the 2nd line support team have reviewed your system information and believe the issue you are experiencing with TomTom Home 2.8 may be due to the large number of 3rd party POI's you have installed.

As you detailed on the call you were not experiencing the issue with TomTom Home 2.7

The 2nd line support team have provided me with a link for you to install TomTom Home 2.7 as you requested, to see if it resolves the issue for you.

I would advise you to uninstall TomTom Home 2.8 following the details below. Once you have uninstalled TomTom Home 2.8 please follow the link to install TomTom Home 2.7

Uninstall TomTom HOME

- Click on Start, Programs, TomTom Uninstall, TomTom HOME 2.8
- Now press the Windows Key and R on your keyboard.
- type
Code:
%appdata%
and press enter.
- Delete the yellow TomTom Folder.
- Afterwards, press the Windows Key and R on your keyboard again and type in
Code:
%temp%
and press enter.
- Delete everything in this folder.

TomTom Home 2.7:

Download this from http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_7_6_2056_win.exe

Actually after I moved the backed up pre MapShare North American map version in my TomTom Home PC maps subdirectory elsewhere 2.8 mainly works ok with "Update My Go" but seems to take exception to some POI downloads I want to add.

Of course one couldn't expect TomTom's usual lacklustre support to actually come up with a proper explanation but only to do the easy thing by providing a link and instructions as to how to downgrade to V2.7 I wonder what it was about the V2.8 Home update that was just so critical that TomTom support now seem to feel I can make do without it! Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: