Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wanted...SatMap Maps.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted...SatMap Maps.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Wanted...SatMap Maps. Reply with quote

I'm trying to build up a collection that ultimately I would like to be able to rent out...if anybody has any maps surplus to requirements, I would love to hear from you, Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved temporarily for discussion by mods

Isn't this going to break copyright rules about passing the maps to a third person?
And unless the maps have their locking codes bypassed, he wouldn't be able to rent them out for others to use either?

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatMap cards are locked to the SD cards unique ID and as such they can be used in any active10 device, this is within the rules.

If you copy the contents of one card to another it simply won't work as the cloned card will have a different ID.

I have loaned SatMap SD cards to other users of the same active10 hardware from time to time, if Mike (FrequentFlyer) wants to set up some map "loan" service then I don't see much wrong with it as he can only loan out original cards, such a scheme might annoy SatMap as it potentially denies them sales, but if I were wanting to go to the Scotish Highlands for a walking trip with my active10 the cost of the maps for a one shot trip is rather expensive so a loan looks like a favourable idea to me - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK on the assumption that it is only involving maps on SD card, back it goes.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did wonder why 2/3 'Wanted' posts had been deleted/removed without so much as any communication. Couple of points, I personally wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to 'manipulate' a code to break it. I just see this as a way of helping out any other Satmap users as, for me at least, most maps are reasonably expensive. I think I'd be happy just to loan, but I suppose I need some sort of financial back up if I don't get one back. Perhaps the RRP cost could be deposited into my Paypal, to be returned on receipt ?
borgelite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea and I'd have loved to have had mapping on a recent holiday to Pembrokeshire.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative, if the mods agreed, could be for a Sticky to be set up where people can 'register' cards they would be prepared to loan out for a specific short-term period (and to log requests). I've got a Lake District 25,000 which only gets used once a year (in a good year!), and a 50,000 Hertfordshire which doesn't get used much more often, which I would be happy to make available, at least to PGPSW people who are reasonably familiar to me. A Paypal deposit seems like a good idea for people less well known (like someone who starts posting when they see the thread).

This could save FrequentFlyer having to maintain a library of his own, and everyone would still have their own cards most of the time.

A great idea anyway, Frequent Flyer! Razz
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Cornwall or the Coast Path (North.) Reply with quote

I'll kick it off then ! Can anybody loan me Cornwall, 1:25 ? We're off a week tomorrow ? Thanks.
Wombler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely think this is a good idea. Maybe set up a club where you pay £10 to Register and indicate which cards you wish to loan. when people want a particular card they apply and hire the card for a small amount, say £5 and a deposit of £30. when the card is returned the £30 is returned. and the loaner gets the fiver. Any money from membership made would be to go to buying popular cards or to compensate those that have loaned cards if the hirer loses or damages the card.
I have a techy son who would set up a site and manage it but we would need to know the interest first amongst members.

Also I am going to the dolomites in September, anyone got Italian card?

PS I'm not a newbie, my other name is OxfordAl but changed it due to technical reasons

cheers
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some National Park and Trail Cards I would be prpared to hire out, though I think £30 deposit is not enough.
BuxtonJim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for this though I haven't yet got anything to trade Sad
One off visits such as C2C, Pembroke path etc could be done through a closed user group?
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Yorkshire Map for sale. Reply with quote

If anybody is interested, I've just posted a new map that I don't want on the For Sale / Wanted forum.
All of Yorkshire (a huge area) @ 1:25 (Explorer)
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Coast to Coast Reply with quote

I have National Parks Premium, 'North Highlands' (1:25/1:50), surplus to requirements....cost from Satmap £100. I'm looking for the Coast to Coast trail....anybody able/care to exchange ?
braddersmd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hav just signed up to the forum, as I am awaiting delivery of my new Satmap - hopefully today.

Did the loan / rental idea ever take off at all - would be interested in this, even if paying a full cost security as a deposit.

Cheers, Mark
BuxtonJim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

I hope you enjoy your new Satmap. I've had mine 5 months now and it's incredible Very Happy The product really does do the business. I've even invested in a Proshield and, though expensive, again it adds significantly to real world use of the unit.
Unless I've missed something, I don't think the idea of a swap facility ever really took off. It's a shame really because I'm sure most people lurking around here would be more than fair. Maybe it's just not practicable for many, I don't know.
For instance, I obviously use my local site-centred map heavily and the the 1:50 UK maps as and when I'm away. Periodically we're over in N Wales so I'd always want that to hand for unexpected trips. I bought the C2C trail but because of time pressure we only have time to do that in 3 sections so I'guess I'll need that on me for 18 months or so.
Maybe others are different?
Anyway I really hope you enjoy your new Satmap.

Best

Jim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: