Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A solution for TTS pronunciation for Go models (Loquendo)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A solution for TTS pronunciation for Go models (Loquendo)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't managed to get much further with this.

Yes, putting the edits in the EnglishGbTT.rex file gives the same results.
No I can't get all of the 'semicolon' type pronunciation off on the W&CE map.
Yes it works faultlessly on the UK&RoI map!
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've finally got my replacement 930 back to the state that my old one was in (including getting the 850 maps that I was entitled to under the LMG for the previous unit)

Before I got the map updated though, there were a few very weird things happening with the speech, some road names were being read out as a completely different name (London was spoken as Oakwood road for some bizarre reason) and I think it may have been due to incomaptability of the newer navcore and an old map (810) that came on the unit. It's working fine now the map was updated.

I'll get the rules running on it again and see if I can make any more progress.

At the moment I still have the original cphoneme.dat file in my map dir and B road numbers do not get announced at all (W&CE map), just the road names, but some of the road names near my house actually sound better with this file in place. The rules for the A roads are working, but I haven't thoroughly tested them yet.
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's some more info on the cphoneme.dat file

If it is in place, Loquendo generates a lot of errors in the log file (If you have turned it on)

Mostly complaining about Unknown Phonemes
Code:
Unknown phoneme in Sampa string "=TELEATLAS;(%swIfts"

More interesting though is the following:
Code:
Unable to open ENG; configurator file "/mnt/sdcard/LoquendoTTS/data/ENG;.lcf"

Switching language to ENG; failed

This looks like the cphoneme.dat file it making Loquendo look for ENG;.lcf rather than EnglishGB.lcf - no wonder it gets confused!
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we are dealing with 2 incompatible systems - or at least 2 systems which no-one has made any attempt to make compatible.

I suspect cphoneme.dat is an old TeleAtlas (actually earlier than that) file to help an Loquendo speak non-English names.

The newer Loquendo can do better without it is hardly surprising, considering that a lot more development on text-to-voice has occurred since.

It rather looks as if each version of TomTom/TeleAtlas/Loquendo gets "made to work" rather than redesigned and redeveloped to work together correctly.

On a totally different tack, I note that the Loquendo 7 docs talk about using punctuation for emphasis in speech. A new feature in ver 7. The way it's written, I just wonder if ! (exclamation mark) after each digit of the road number might make it spit out each number separately - without actually forcing speech mode into letter-by-letter mode, and all the associated issues of getting it back into normal pronunciation mode ...
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after reading through all 12 pages of this thread and the threads at:-

www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/21171-how-fix-poor-tts-pronunciation.html

and

Unapproved link removed - DennisN

It would seem that renaming cphoneme.dat to cphoneme.old on the whole only improves things pronunciation wise for anyone using UK supplied TomTom units aimed at the UK market mainly in the UK but adding Marvin's five new defaultEnglishGB.*** text files to the \LoquendoTTS\data directory overcomes the "B two thousand one hundred and twenty six" type road number reading nonsense to make it "B two one two six" but with commas or semi colons now sometimes being added after the road number in the reading out. Apparently this only happens if you have a Western and Central Europe map (as I do) but does not happen with UK & Ireland maps? So DennisN and others appear to have a complete solution but those of us who also drive Sur Le Continent do not.

So in short renaming cphoneme.dat to cphoneme.old is generally beneficial but the five defaultEnglishGB files fix the road number reading errors but add in reading of punctuation after the now correct number reading that we don't want to hear.

I think that seems to fully reflect where we stand now with this issue?
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that about sums it up.

I'll keep trying to get rid of the extra commas etc.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARViN2003 wrote:
I'll keep trying to get rid of the extra commas etc.

I haven't encountered the comma problem so far but I am finding that some B roads are often still read out the old way (eg B Two Thousand One Hundred and Twenty Six) even though the new rules seem to be working for UK convention on A road numbers.(eg A Two One Seven and not A Two Hundred and Seventeen).
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a go with different rules for B roads and see if that helps. I am guessing that not all B roads (B4070) are stored as they look, maybe there is a space in there...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
So after reading through all 12 pages of this thread .....

So DennisN and others appear to have a complete solution

So after reading through all 12 pages of this thread, I'll have to ask you to remind me what my solution is, please, as I seem to have misplaced it. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: attn spikey mikey, Reply with quote

Was looking at that voice thing loquendo or whatever it is, my tom tom go 740 live is also the same when she speaks, especially with gps world cameras, i know what it is now but passengers say what the hell is that meant to be. Now as a complete idiot with folders etc was wondering if you could help me throught this process of installing this fix on my tom tom. I would even call you on your landline or mobile so i could get a step by step guide to doing it.

Many Thanks

Jamsie Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: attn spikey mikey, Reply with quote

jamsie wrote:
Now as a complete idiot with folders etc was wondering if you could help me through this process of installing this fix on my tom tom. I would even call you on your landline or mobile so i could get a step by step guide to doing it.

Well really the solution only involves renaming cphoneme.dat in your active map folder (eg Western_and_Central_Europe) on your TomTom as xxcphoneme.dat so it doesn't get used (allegedly you might still want to rename it back to cphoneme.dat if travelling in somewhere non English speaking) and then replacing EnglishGbTT.rex file in the LoquendoTTS\data\languages\English subdirectory that has UK English language pronunciation rules with one with a few lines added at the bottom that were posted a few pages back. However when the few extra lines are added the file needs to be edited with a Linux text file editor and saved in Linux format and not DOS/Windows text format.

So really its rename cphoneme.dat in your map folder as xxcphoneme.dat and replace the EnglishGBTT.rex file with an enhanced version with a few lines of text at the top posted three or four pages pack. So I suppose I could post that file up somewhere on the internet and post a link to it in the forum and that would be a simple solution. Make a post reminding me at the weekend if I haven't done it by then.

Alternatively you might find it easier just to rename your cphoneme.dat file to xxcphoneme.dat or cphoneme.old or anything else and then follow the instructions at Unapproved link removed - DennisN and download the five files there and put them in your LoquendoTTS\data directory as that doesn't involve any file editing and achieves almost the same thing as the solution mentioned above. However you have to become a member of that forum (membership is free and you just have to register with your email address) by registering at Unapproved link removed - DennisN before you can read that post.

I realise the edits rather make poor reading of some of this. However, that is a site of which we disapprove and cannot support linking to it - DennisN
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: WackyRaces many thanks Reply with quote

Hi WackyRaces, well thanks for such a quick reply, but the only problem is i didnt understand a word of what you posted, thats how bad i am at this sort of stuff. All i like to do is press a button and presto it is done, renaming folders, linux etc havnt got a clue, so look forward to reading your fix in a day or so

Mnay Thanks

James
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: WackyRaces many thanks Reply with quote

jamsie wrote:
All i like to do is press a button and presto it is done, renaming folders, linux etc havnt got a clue, so look forward to reading your fix in a day or so

I'm not a heavy duty techie like many of these other guys in this thread but if you don't know how to rename a file in Windows Explorer then I suggest you ask for a hand from one of your work colleagues in the IT department as I am sure all of them would be able to help you with this.

Or you could just Google for file rename "windows explorer" and find an easy to follow article like this one:-

www.gpsoftware.com/kb/q01-1035.htm
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by way of explanation for the admin edits above, IPMart is a web-site dedicated to sharing pirated data and links to downloads of the same.

They have been hell bent on sharing our speed camera data and desperately trying to discover our anti-piracy protection measures.

Hence why we will not entertain any links to that site here. Links will be removed so please don't link to them. They're a group of thieves, pure and simple.

<end of rant/>
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
They have been hell bent on sharing our speed camera data and desperately trying to discover our anti-piracy protection measures.

Sorry as I was totally unaware of that (their attempts to pirate this forum's speed camera files). I only posted the link because Marvin had not posted those files or a link to them in this thread. And whilst I agree that forum clearly does not seem to properly respect map copyright issues (although no doubt if TomTom charged a more reasonable price for map updates and sold lifetime map update services in Europe that problem would greatly abate) it was a somewhat clearer thread for the layman to understand than the rather long one on this website.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 12 of 17

Jump to: