Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom GO950 Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom GO950 Live

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Tomtom GO950 Live Reply with quote

My previous TT was an XL Live which generally performed OK but was limited by its internal memory.

As I needed maps for the USA I swapped it for a GO 950 Live which at first seemed to be a great sat Nav. Now its little more than a piece of useless junk as most times it freezes when I switch it on. It gets as far as the screen showing TOPMTOM and the red hands and then freezes. It cannot be switched off. If I connect it to the computer via TT Home 2.7 it switches on OK, updates OK and can be operated OK

I have reported this to TT and I have been shown how to fully back-up the software and maps, reformat the memory, check drive for errors, reinstall the maps on sd card and then use TT Home to reinstall the software.

It will then work OK several times but after not many operations it go back to its infuriating freezing.

It has been suggested on other forums that it could be the fault of Mapshare. Now I have no idea as to whether this is true or not but I am so desperate that I will try anything (well almost anything!)

Can anyone offer me any further help with

1. the problem associated with the freezing

2. How to disable Mapshare and remove all the associated Mapshare files.superior one that doesn't.

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do away with the mapshare corrections, connect to PC, start TT Home, then Tools, Mapshare, Remove Corrections - something like that (I'm no expert because I don't ever let any get onto my device and I haven't joined MapShare).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tomtom GO950 Live Reply with quote

djchapple wrote:

It has been suggested on other forums that it could be the fault of Mapshare.

And this one!

djchapple wrote:
Can anyone offer me any further help with

1. the problem associated with the freezing

2. How to disable Mapshare and remove all the associated Mapshare files.superior one that doesn't.

1 and 2 might be the same problem.
Firstly, I assume you have already tried removing the mapsettings.cfg file from inside ALL your map folders.

You can remove the MapShare corrections using Home, or you can just remove these files (as always back them up first, just in case)

ServerNameIndex, ServerLineIndex and MapServerPatch and MapUserPatch.dat - look in every map folder for these
UserPatch.dat. - in the root directory (i.e. not in a folder)

You can opt out of MapShare either using Home as said above, or on the 950 itself (but it's well hidden!) Go to Main menu / Map Corrections / Download corrections made by others / Leave / Yes
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual superb help from the regulars.

Many thanks - I will give it a go this evening

djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now removed Mapshare and hopefully the 950 will now fare better.

One further further.

If I make corrections to the maps myself will this involve the use pf Mapshare or can I do it independently without upsetting the 950?

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do your own "corrections", it will ask if you want to share them with other users. I always say YES, because my nine are perfect, you can say NO if yours are rubbish! It will probably also invite you to join the MapShare community (which I decline - I think the choice is Join or Continue). Then when you connect to Home, you'll see at the bottom of the update page, a blob alongside your corrections to upload. Remember to unblob the download corrections button so that you don't receive any, only upload yours (Home has stopped offering them to me).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot

That's me sorted out........ until the next time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: