Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A14 SPECS Rollout as Police admit Speedcams cause Accidents
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A14 SPECS Rollout as Police admit Speedcams cause Accidents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomcat76
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Anyone got a camera with a night vision setting?
At least we could find out if the IR illuminators were switched on.

You can see the red glow on some of them.... and others nothing.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPhone 4 camera picks up infra red. try it yourself. Turn on camera and have it pointing at TV remote control, you can see IR LED flashing when you press button on remote.

MaFt
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
iPhone 4 camera picks up infra red. try it yourself. Turn on camera and have it pointing at TV remote control, you can see IR LED flashing when you press button on remote.

Laughing However did you discover that? Did you sit on the sofa one night and think "I'm bored, Idea I know what I'll do, I'll make a video of my TV remote control"?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
you can see IR LED flashing when you press button on remote.
It shows up nicely in blue on my Lumix camera.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Anyone got a camera with a night vision setting?
At least we could find out if the IR illuminators were switched on.

I took photos of the Tower Bridge SPECS cameras with a Canon compact camera a few years back and you can very clearly see the glow of the IR illuminators with purple edges.

It was a sunny day, though the sun wasn't shining on the cameras.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get rid of it by pressing the red eye correction button? Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
focae
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dreadful journalistic hype Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:

It is stupid drivers (speeding or otherwise) who slow down when they see a speed camera.

Are you always so pompous?!!

Recently I was driving on unfamiliar, fairly busy roads through Nottingham. I had gone through several speed limit changes when I exited a roundabout on a stretch of road that had already been signposted as 40 mph. As I left the roundabout, there was a camera sign (with no speed limit reminder) quickly followed by the camera itself.

Being male, my multitasking skills were already overloaded.....navigating, avoiding other cars, watching my speed.........so I was momentarily unsure what the limit was, (even though in reality, I knew it was 40). Quite naturally, I braked.

Was I stupid because I had a desire to protect my clean licence?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Can you get rid of it by pressing the red eye correction button? Very Happy

No, that only works with those Truvelo cameras. Twisted Evil Wink
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dreadful journalistic hype Reply with quote

focae wrote:
Fellwalker wrote:

It is stupid drivers (speeding or otherwise) who slow down when they see a speed camera.

Are you always so pompous?!!

Recently I was driving on unfamiliar, fairly busy roads through Nottingham. I had gone through several speed limit changes when I exited a roundabout on a stretch of road that had already been signposted as 40 mph. As I left the roundabout, there was a camera sign (with no speed limit reminder) quickly followed by the camera itself.

Being male, my multitasking skills were already overloaded.....navigating, avoiding other cars, watching my speed.........so I was momentarily unsure what the limit was, (even though in reality, I knew it was 40). Quite naturally, I braked.

Was I stupid because I had a desire to protect my clean licence?
Gosh I am so sorry to have touched a raw nerve. I am not trying to be pompous but to counter the jingoism of the original post. Exaggeration to make a point.
Only you can tell if you were stupid. Or the driver behind you if there was one. Stupid depends on the traffic around you - if there is none then it does not matter. If the driver behind is not tailgating, it is just annoying (not dangerous) for them if a random act of uncalled for slowing or braking occurs in front.

In town, and near junctions, one has to expect random acts of braking, turning, slowing down, speeding up, changing lanes. That is just driving.
What REALLY upsets me is people driving at steady speed on the dual carriageway/motorway, and even if they are well within the speed limit, braking at the sight of a possible camera or police car. They are the stupid ones. If they are driving at a steady speed, why do they need to change it? Surely they know what it is?

I am also male, but so what?
I agree with the implication in your post that there are too many repeater signs missing from lampposts.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

MaFt

All B&W video cameras pick-up IR, some colour ones do but it's hit & miss.

Quote:
I agree with the implication in your post that there are too many repeater signs missing from lampposts.
I agree they do seem to be sparser than they used to be, have they changed the rules on them?

I remember a few years ago a colleague was stopped on a short stretch of road near Gatwick, between the ind. est. and A23.
"do you know what speed you were doing sir?"
"yes officer, 55mph"
"and what's the speed limit?"
"60! (delimited)"
"is it?" and he had to go and check Very Happy

focae
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dreadful journalistic hype Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
Gosh I am so sorry to have touched a raw nerve. I am not trying to be pompous but to counter the jingoism of the original post. Exaggeration to make a point.

No raw nerves Very Happy .............but you were being rather pompous Rolling Eyes .................
Fellwalker wrote:
I was always able to tell my speed approximately by engine noise. Now I mostly use cruise control outside town, but even when i don't i can tell if my speed has changed since my last glance at the speedo. I don't have to keep an eye on it ALL the time.

Oh yes you do.............that's why we have speed camera alerts........our internal cruise control (including yours) is fairly rudimentary.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: