Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Amigo Ultra Skin 1.0.14
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Amigo Ultra Skin 1.0.14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricketyclik wrote:
I ended up adding FreddySam's version 40 of your skin, as I assume it's been more debugged.
I'm sure that Linknet will be pleased by that remark Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
ricketyclik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
ricketyclik wrote:
I ended up adding FreddySam's version 40 of your skin, as I assume it's been more debugged.
I'm sure that Linknet will be pleased by that remark Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

No offence intended, after realising my mistake on the sys.txt file I just googled "amigo skins via points" and found his in a thread, which listed ongoing debugs based on user feedback. Since he based his on Linknet's (didn't he?) as a starting point, I assume it's a more refined version.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricketyclik wrote:
Since he based his on Linknet's (didn't he?) as a starting point, I assume it's a more refined version.
No offence meant either, You did notice my smileys, I presume Question . WRT the 'modified' linknet version, I just don't know. We all base our skins on other peoples, and of course 'our' skin is 'a lot better' than the original (in our opinion Rolling Eyes ), but I also note what Linknet said about over modification, whereby there are so many bells and whistles, that the author seems to have forgotten to leave screen real estate for the satnav's main purpose of getting you from A to B.
It is very tempting to do this once you have an idea about what's going on, and how to change it in the skins (just because you can) but it's easily overdone Confused . Linknet is an expert here and tends not to overcomplicate things Very Happy
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricketyclik wrote:
It turned out that this was the problem. Because the existing sys.txt file had no reference to resolution, I assumed none was needed to correct it. It still needed to be added to run the skin.

It shouldn't be necessary to define the resolution if the device reports this correctly, in fact it should run without any entries in sys.txt at all.

ricketyclik wrote:

Version 1.0.14 of the Amigo Ultra skin has had over 5000 downloads since May 2010 without a single bug being reported so it certainly doesn't require any more debugging. Wink

Any additional debugging required in FreddySam's version 40 skin is entirely as a result of his own additions and modifications.

Regards

linknet
Foxtrot0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:

Version 1.0.14 of the Amigo Ultra skin has had over 5000 downloads since May 2010 without a single bug being reported so it certainly doesn't require any more debugging. Wink

I hate to ruin a good thing but I have some bugs I'd like to report. When I add a poi as a favorite, most of the time, it doesn't save the address correctly for the favorite. I only noticed this recently because I was looking at my favorites file to back them up, and I noticed my place of business along with a bunch of favorites have the wrong address. The POI has the correct address. It is when I save it as a favourite or choose it as a destination, that it actually picks an address near the one I want, but not the actual address. This is annoying because this sometimes means it'll direct me to the wrong side of the street.

Also, sometimes I'll press the back button and it will take me all the way back to the driving page. It is really annoying when I'm 10 pages into finding a POI and I have to start over again. I tried looking at my crash log, but it doesn't show anything. It seems to happen when I'm in the middle of a search. Everything will slow down, and then I'll try to pressing back repeatedly. Nothing will happen, and then I'll be back to the driving page.

Besides those two bugs, you have a great skin! Thank you.
ricketyclik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxtrot0 wrote:
linknet wrote:

I hate to ruin a good thing but I have some bugs I'd like to report. When I add a poi as a favorite, most of the time, it doesn't save the address correctly for the favorite. I only noticed this recently because I was looking at my favorites file to back them up, and I noticed my place of business along with a bunch of favorites have the wrong address. The POI has the correct address. It is when I save it as a favourite or choose it as a destination, that it actually picks an address near the one I want, but not the actual address. This is annoying because this sometimes means it'll direct me to the wrong side of the street.

On this point, I came across a similar complaint on FreddySam's thread on another forum. If it's the same thing, it relates to the prompt "Save destination to favourites" (or similar) while you're in the via menu, and it does just that - saves the destination, not the via point.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxtrot0 wrote:
linknet wrote:

Also, sometimes I'll press the back button and it will take me all the way back to the driving page. It is really annoying when I'm 10 pages into finding a POI and I have to start over again. I tried looking at my crash log, but it doesn't show anything. It seems to happen when I'm in the middle of a search. Everything will slow down, and then I'll try to pressing back repeatedly. Nothing will happen, and then I'll be back to the driving page.

Besides those two bugs, you have a great skin! Thank you.

You're not ruining anything since those are not bugs connected with the skin. Smile

The first is due to the method used by NNG to save favourites and you'd need to report that to them. Although I doubt if you'd have any success in getting them to change their location based method to an address based method.

The second may not be a bug at all. The application does sometimes slow down in the middle of searches and you need to just wait for it. Pressing the back button repeatedly is probably being interpreted as a 'Tap and Hold' for which the default action is to take you to the navigation screen.

Regards

linknet

Last edited by linknet on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricketyclik wrote:
On this point, I came across a similar complaint on FreddySam's thread on another forum. If it's the same thing, it relates to the prompt "Save destination to favourites" (or similar) while you're in the via menu, and it does just that - saves the destination, not the via point.

Yes, 'Add Destination to Favourites' in the 'Add Via' screen does exactly what it says, it adds the destination location to favourites.

Logically this should be 'Add Via Point to Favourites' but then if you've added more than one via point, which one do you add to favourites? Or maybe you actually do still require to add the destination to favourites? Another sub-menu (or more) is thus required and the whole thing gets more and more complex. Amigo is intended to be for simple navigation, so 'Add Destination to Favourites' remains the simplest option.

linknet
Foxtrot0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:

You're not ruining anything since those are not bugs connected with the skin. Smile

The first is due to the method used by NNG to save favourites and you'd need to report that to them. Although I doubt if you'd have any success in getting them to change their location based method to an address based method.

The second may not be a bug at all. The application does sometimes slow down in the middle of searches and you need to just wait for it. Pressing the back button repeatedly is probably being interpreted as a 'Tap and Hold' for which the default action is to take you to the navigation screen.

Regards

linknet

I see now. My bad. The back button does that on all pages. And for the addresses, I'm saving the location but not the address? This only bothers me when I punch in a new POI and it directs me to the wrong side of the street when I arrive. How does it decide which side of the street to send you to if its using a location at the center of the street?

I'm pretty sure I didn't try to save a via point and accidentally got the the destination. I don't think this is the same as the FreddySam issue.

I did download that skin but I haven't tired it out yet. I'm 99% happy with Amigo Ultra. I'll likely stay with it because its so simple and straight forward. Thank you very much for everything!
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxtrot0 wrote:
And for the addresses, I'm saving the location but not the address? This only bothers me when I punch in a new POI and it directs me to the wrong side of the street when I arrive. How does it decide which side of the street to send you to if its using a location at the center of the street?

It's difficult to determine exactly how POI's and Favourites are saved since there is no access to the application source code. But I believe that both of these are saved as locations only. In the case of favourites a name is also stored which can be the address generated from the map location or a name which you provide. I've no idea how it decides which side of the road to send you to but a location doesn't have to be in the centre of a road and can be offset to either side to correspond with the address.

linknet
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of Support for Ultra Skin:

Unfortunately, due to a lack of time, I've had to close the website and will no longer be able to offer any support for this project.

Many thanks to all those who have provided feedback and advice.

Regards

linknet

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: