Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 9.058 for x40 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

9.058 for x40 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you having "fun" with Navcore 9,058 and access to the Live services I would suggest you roll back to the last version 8 Navcore they released for the device as at least that works bar a server outage - Mike
alan195
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wygde3 wrote:
Contacted TT Support on 1001 error ... Back to Factory Settings/Soft reset ... same problem. Now with 2nd line ... looks likes no Traffic for the weekend... Twisted Evil

I have had the same problem, currently waiting for packaging to return to TomTom to get a new sim card fitted.

Go 740 Live
Go 600
wygde3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support got back to me with instructions. Involved going back to factory settings, rebooting, clearing flash memory. Still got error 1001. Support sending packaging for SIM card replacement.

Tried going back to NC8 ... HD Traffic bar appears on right hand side ... but can't connect to the server. Very surprised ... unless the SIM card did actually go faulty on Friday ...
Cloedu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Error 1001 Reply with quote

You dont need to send the Unit to the Support. Just discharge the Battery (Turn On x-times...) and and leave the Unit over Night.....
Restart the Unit next day with Power plugged in.... Taddaaaa! Everything is ok (really no Joke!)

Claude

Last edited by Cloedu on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Cloedu.... Smile

Your advice seems a little general... What exact issue do you think it cures?

I can't really see how a SIM card and software incompatibility issue that has affected everybody in the UK can be cured so easily!
Cloedu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Error 1001 Reply with quote

This will fix the problem with the Error 1001!
Simply give it a try and you will see, it really works....

If the battery empty text appears, boot the unit until the screen remains black and nothing happens....

I had the same problem and fixed it this way.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from two weeks in Mallorca where v9.058 had worked more reliably to navigate than v8.371 does in the UK but I think mainly because the only Live Services available are Google Live Search and Weather and there is no HD Traffic in Spain. My 940 was consistently able to connect to the Live Services ok in Spain and I did not get any error messages about the Live services being unavailable. However I could not find a single journey I took (plenty of over 50km) where Eco Route produced a different result from Fasest Route although Teleatlas does have a surprising amount of the now very dilapidated unsurfaced road network in Mallorca on its database (some of which is totally unpassable by anything other than a very heavy duty four wheel drive due to the amount of heavy rocks and/or deep rutted earth potholes) and I was on several occasions asked if I wanted to use an unpaved road where doing so would have severely invalidated my insurance and/or probably also left me carless.

I then returned to the UK and went straight on a trip from London down to Dorset and HD Traffic functioned and warned me of HD Traffic related delays on the M25 as well as the usual IQ routes delay for the time of day. I continued to be able to use Live Services in Dorset including getting several weather forecasts for My Location over the weekend. But then late yesterday afternoon I found myself at Lulworth Cove and when I tried to do a weather forecast for My Location I was repeatedly told that my SIM card was faulty with a certain error number and the nasty reddish brown error screen. A normal power cycle of the unit did no good in curing the problem and nor did a soft reboot by holding down the On/Off key for 15 seconds. However due to the nature of the fault and the fact that it was persistent at that particular location but had not happened elsewhere I was pretty sure the problem was location specific and related to the configuration of that particular GPRS transmitter so I drove a few miles up the road to Wareham and what do you know - my SIM card was now no longer defective and I could get a 5 day weather forecast for My Location with no problem at all. Unfortunately I didn't record the number of the error shown at Lulworth Cove about my supposedly defective SIM card because the error did not persist once I left there.

So to anyone who TomTom Support is trying to talk in to sending back their units because they are getting a defective SIM card error screen I would urge you not to do it and to try a soft reboot and then using your unit at a different mobile transmitter mast location. If that fails then revert to v8.371 but whatever you do don't return your perfectly adequately functioning x40 hardware to TomTom when there is nothing wrong with it but everything possible wrong with TomTom's rubbish Navcores for the x40 series that have never worked properly since the units were first put on the market. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could just be me, but I think another little thing is missing in 9.058. When HD Traffic updated on 8.371 it was accompanied by an audible "beep beep" but on 9.058 it is silent. Is there an option to bring back the audible warning?
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
It could just be me, but I think another little thing is missing in 9.058. When HD Traffic updated on 8.371 it was accompanied by an audible "beep beep" but on 9.058 it is silent. Is there an option to bring back the audible warning?

It doesn't Beep on my 540 with v9.058, even though the option is selected. But.. it never beeped with v8 on mine either. I think it used to say "Route changed" at one time, while driving, but now it just says The Total delay is x minutes. You are still on the fastest route". I only know the route has changed if I notice the next turn is different than it was before. The only time I hear "Route Changed" now is when I'm browsing the route before I start driving and it recalculates because it can't make it's mind up which road I'm on due to poor GPS signal or due to Traffic info .
CPN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Error 1001 Reply with quote

Cloedu wrote:
You dont need to send the Unit to the Support. Just discharge the Battery (Turn On x-times...) and and leave the Unit over Night.....
Restart the Unit next day with Power plugged in.... Taddaaaa! Everything is ok (really no Joke!)

Claude
I have no idea why you think that this would work?! Anyway, I can confirm that it does NOT as I tried it on my GO 940 last night. No difference. Still get the "Error code: 1001" from the SIM card...

Colin
alan195
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the error 1001. Sent it off to TomTom for a new sim card on Monday 11th October. Got a brand new 740 back at 09:30 on Wednesday 13th October. It is impossible to get a better turnaround than that. Everything now working great.

Go 740 Live
Go 600
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan195 wrote:
I had the error 1001. Sent it off to TomTom for a new sim card on Monday 11th October. Got a brand new 740 back at 09:30 on Wednesday 13th October. It is impossible to get a better turnaround than that. Everything now working great.

Was your 740 unit still under warranty or not then as surely not many x40 series units can be any more?

Or did they agree to do this under warranty on the basis that you were paying for a subscription service (HD Traffic) that you could no longer receive due to their technical error with supporting the SIM card. Also with respect given the complexity of the errors involving the SIM card on the x40 series I don't see how you can yet say for sure that the replacement now works great.

My 940 has been modified with lots of Map Corrections and lots of POIs from TomTom's website for the UK and Spain and has lots of Favourites. If I return my unit and a replacement different unit is sent back to me then so far as I know I can't just restore my last Explorer backup. Instead I would have to make the Map Corrections, add the Favourites and install the POIs all over again. This is because my backup including maps surely won't be accepted by a unit with a different serial number.

Also how did they get your replacement unit to work great? Was it by reverting the firmware to v8.371?
alan195
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:

Was your 740 unit still under warranty or not then as surely not many x40 series units can be any more?

Or did they agree to do this under warranty on the basis that you were paying for a subscription service (HD Traffic) that you could no longer receive due to their technical error with supporting the SIM card. Also with respect given the complexity of the errors involving the SIM card on the x40 series I don't see how you can yet say for sure that the replacement now works great.

My 940 has been modified with lots of Map Corrections and lots of POIs from TomTom's website for the UK and Spain and has lots of Favourites. If I return my unit and a replacement different unit is sent back to me then so far as I know I can't just restore my last Explorer backup. Instead I would have to make the Map Corrections, add the Favourites and install the POIs all over again. This is because my backup including maps surely won't be accepted by a unit with a different serial number.

Also how did they get your replacement unit to work great? Was it by reverting the firmware to v8.371?

My 740 was not in warranty. I expected a repair but they just sent a new one. I had to get support to reset my account from the old device to the new one. It should be no problem copying your POIs from a backup to a new device, which I did in 2 minutes.

I have now got a fully working TomTom with the latest software and Traffic working as well as it ever did.

Go 740 Live
Go 600
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan195 wrote:
I have now got a fully working TomTom with the latest software and Traffic working as well as it ever did.

Well in my experience that is sadly not too well at all including traffic delays that are still running over an hour behind the actual situation on the ground (making them near useless during the London rush hour).

And at the end of the day there was nothing wrong with your SIM card and the errors were all with their firmware.
GMC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Key question here, is how long do other devices using this major navcore version take to show traffic? Is this just on the x40 devices, or on all the new navcore devices?

I have a 740, and I too have the long delay. Yesterday, travelling through derbyshire, I suspect I lost signal, and it hid the traffic info. V annoying, and manual prods said that it could not connect to Live services, but the network was connected. It is like it isn't triggering a reconnect to LIVE when the network returns.

My 540 much the same - traffic bar suddenly disappears, even in a normally good area. Automatic reconnection by no means guaranteed, and the unit has to be prompted by selecting Live then Traffic. Lo and behold, the spinning circle eventually reappears, followed by the traffic info. It's annoying when it drops out, as the system isn't then responding to any changes. Never had this problem under the previous navcore, but other than that it seems to be working well enough.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 14 of 21

Jump to: