Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A solution for TTS pronunciation for Go models (Loquendo)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A solution for TTS pronunciation for Go models (Loquendo)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
With a bit of trepidation I've removed the five files from the DATA folder and edited the EnglishGbTT.rex file by adding the larger set of rules posted by Greenglide.

I've done a desktop demo and the punctuation errors appear to be gone, and the B4009 close by was pronounced as "B four oh oh nine" although a bit jittery.

I'm back to driving up the "High Strit" instead of street though, although this may not be due to the recent changes, it's just that maybe I haven't done something when upgrading to the latest map!

When the 855 map was installed a new version of cphenome.dat will have been installed with the map. Renaming or deleting the file should put the pronunciation.

The jittery pronunciation of "B four oh oh nine" is because a comma has had to be inserted after the first "oh" to stop the words running together. I tried using "oh owe" and "owe owe" but this didnt help. It really needs either a phonentic spelling or inserting of a pause between the two "oh"s. I havent worked out how to do that yet without breaking what is already working!

Are you using the UK & Ireland map or the Western Europe one since the punctuation problem was with the Western Europe map?
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying, I thought you said that leaving that file made no difference, unless I'm mistaken(likely).

I wasn't criticising, I was just making an observation, the work done by yourself and Marvin2003 is great and I appreciate the effort, I hope I'm providing constructive feedback.

I'm on W&CE 855, see my sig.
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try "double oh" as a workaround to ohoh? (Or maybe "oh-oh"?)
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

layingback wrote:
Maybe try "double oh" as a workaround to ohoh? (Or maybe "oh-oh"?)

I think it is personal preference and, to be honest, I very rarely come across road numbers with 00 in them! It is simple enough to replace the "oh oh" with "zero zero" but again I am not sure how it would sound. I have actually forgotten what the default pronunciation is ("zero"?) - it will happily read out that in the smaller set of rules I am just being picky. The main road beside my house is the A1068 and hearing that as "A one zero six eight" just doesnt sound right - nobody says it that way. Normally either "A ten sixty eight" or "A one oh six eight" are the normal usage.

I didnt think you were criticising Confused I was just explaining why it happens.

The renaming of cphoneme.dat seems to be a personal preference thing - it doesnt correct what I consider the worst pronunciation errors - it misses the "er" of "Fisher Road", "Manchester" etc irrespective of whether cphoneme.dat is present Crying or Very sad

I looked for your sig in the review of the thread you get when posting a reply but it doesnt show signatures there so I thought you didnt have one Embarassed

So I wonder why MARVIN2003 and pocketgps don't get B roads read out with the same setup Confused Confused It isnt the cphoneme.dat file not being there that breaks it is it?
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
So I wonder why MARVIN2003 and pocketgps don't get B roads read out with the same setup Confused Confused It isnt the cphoneme.dat file not being there that breaks it is it?

It is having the cphoneme.dat file which breaks it - see MARViN2003's last post on p5 of this thread. It must be a bug in TomTom code (?) which we inadvertently fixed! My guess is that going to L7 introduced/triggered it.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

layingback wrote:
Greenglide wrote:

It is having the cphoneme.dat file which breaks it - see MARViN2003's last post on p5 of this thread. It must be a bug in TomTom code (?) which we inadvertently fixed! My guess is that going to L7 introduced/triggered it.

But only for the Western Europe map? This would explain why I have never had the problem either with or without cphoneme.dat.

Presumably the trace facility could show what TT is sending to Loquendo to see whether it can be fixed both with and without the cphoneme file?

Are you suggesting that TT code may have bugs Shocked . It is a "feature". I spend a some of my time finding and fixing the cause of other people's "features" which we officially call defects now which seems odd because political correctness had got away from admitting anything could ever be wrong!
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a bug in the software, more a difference in the encoding of the info between UK&RoI and W&CE. B roads don't seem to work on W&CE with cphoneme.dat in place
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else tried this?

For the GB & Ireland maps it has performed very well I have found in several long journies (Northmberland to Nottingham and Manchester city centres) with a Go 520 and a Go 540 (but not at the same time unlike a certain well known member who seems to have a van full of Sat Nav units - worth more than the van Laughing ).

The stupidity of reading road numbers as "A one thousand three hundred and eighty three" always seemed insane and the amount of time spent reading it drove me to despair!

Any feedback / improvements?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
Has anyone else tried this?

For the GB & Ireland maps it has performed very well I have found in several long journies (Northmberland to Nottingham and Manchester city centres) with a Go 520 and a Go 540 (but not at the same time unlike a certain well known member who seems to have a van full of Sat Nav units - worth more than the van Laughing ).

The stupidity of reading road numbers as "A one thousand three hundred and eighty three" always seemed insane and the amount of time spent reading it drove me to despair!

Poor old D***s Laughing

'A' roads and 'M'otorways seems to work okay, but I cannot get it to read out any B roads at all (using Go 530).
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
'A' roads and 'M'otorways seems to work okay, but I cannot get it to read out any B roads at all (using Go 530).

Do you have the Western Europeam map? If so deleting the cphoneme.dat file out of the map folder seems to help - see the earlier postings.

There does seem to be a difference in the way the road number data is presented to Loquendo but I do not have this map.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:

Do you have the Western Europeam map? If so deleting the cphoneme.dat file out of the map folder seems to help - see the earlier postings.

There does seem to be a difference in the way the road number data is presented to Loquendo but I do not have this map.

No. Only the UK & ROI maps. It does read out the road names(eg Bath Road) for B roads, but not the B1234 part. Still I find it okay.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is odd because that is the map that I am using and it reads out B roads fine.

Which version of the .rex file are you using? The one that is appended to the EnglishGbTT.rex file or the multiple files provided by MARVIN2003?

Do you have the cphoneme.dat present in the map folder (although this "should" not matter).

If you past the .rex file into a pair of code tags I will compare it with the file I have.

Confused Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the new Go1000 and 1005 models do pronounce the road numbers differently.

The A2053 for example would be read out as "A twenty, fifty three"
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting,

That's how the original consumer edited files for the US versions would have pronounces them...
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
Well that is odd because that is the map that I am using and it reads out B roads fine.

Which version of the .rex file are you using? The one that is appended to the EnglishGbTT.rex file or the multiple files provided by MARVIN2003?

Do you have the cphoneme.dat present in the map folder (although this "should" not matter).

If you past the .rex file into a pair of code tags I will compare it with the file I have.

Confused Confused

Not sure what files I have on the Go 530 now. But this is the code from the
EnglishGbTT.rex file:

Quote:

"(^|[ \t]+)([A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])([1-9])([1-9])([1-9])([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)" = "\1 \s \2 \Nx \3 \4 \Nx \5 \6 \pause=120 \spell=no \8"
"(^|[ \t]+)([A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])0([1-9])([1-9])([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)" = "\1 \s \2 \3 oh \Nx \4 \5 \pause=120 \spell=no \7"
"(^|[ \t]+)([A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])([1-9])0([1-9])([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)" = "\1 \s \2 \Nx \3 \4 oh \Nx \5 \pause=120 \spell=no \7"
"(^|[ \t]+)([A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])([1-9])([1-9])0([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)" = "\1 \s \2 \3 \Nx \4 \5 oh \pause=120 \spell=no \7"
"(^|[ \t]+)([A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])0([1-9])0([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)" = "\1 \s \2 \3 oh \4 oh \pause=120 \spell=no \6"
"(^|[ \t]+)([A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])([1-9])00([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)" = "\1 \s \2 \3 \4_ oh, oh \pause=120 \spell=no \6"
"(^|[ \t]+)([A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])00([1-9])([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)" = "\1 \s \2 \3_ oh, oh \4 \pause=120 \spell=no \6"
"(^|[ \t]+)([A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])000([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)" = "\1 \s \2 \3 thousand \pause=120 \spell=no \5"
"(^|[ \t]+)([M|A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])([1-9])([1-9])([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)" = "\1 \s \2 \3 \Nx \4 \5 \pause=120 \spell=no \7"
"(^|[ \t]+)([M|A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])0([1-9])([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)"= "\1 \s \2 \3 oh \4 \pause=120 \spell=no \6"
"(^|[ \t]+)([M|A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])([1-9])0([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)" = "\1 \s \2 \3 \Nx \4 oh \pause=120 \spell=no \6"
"(^|[ \t]+)([M|A|B])[ \-]*([1-9])00([;:,\.]?)($|[ \t]+)" = "\1 \s \2 \3 hundred \pause=120 \spell=no \5"

The files in the:

LoquendoTTS/data/

EnglishGb.lcf
EnglishUs.lcf
Kate.vcf
roadnrEnglishGb.rex
roadnrEnglishUS.lex
roadnrEnglishUS.rex
roadnrEnglishUS.ycf
Simon.vcf
SMSEnglishGb.lex
SMSEnglishGb.ycf
Susan.vcf
defaultEnglishGb.lex
defaultEnglishGb.ycf
roadnrEnglishGb.lex
roadnrEnglishGb.ycf

The files in the:

LoquendoTTS/data/languages/English/

EnglishGb.dbl
EnglishGb.gpr
EnglishGb.lde
EnglishGbTT.rex
EnglishUs.dbl
EnglishUs.gpr
EnglishUs.lde
EnglishUsTT.rex

Not sure if that makes any sense Rolling Eyes I may have got every thing messed up.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17

Jump to: