Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom CTO - GO 1000 Will Support Custom POIs Next Year
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom CTO - GO 1000 Will Support Custom POIs Next Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a small point of clarification, you will still be able to add favourite locations manually to these devices. It is only POI data collections downloaded from the myriad of sites that offer them (including ours) that are not supported currently.
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this is not a silly question , I just downloaded Co pilot for my I phone and I travel to London a lot and that came up that I would be in the congestion zone, how come Tom Tom never show this on their maps, will this be a third party poi as it never seems to be on their maps ?

On their new software the poi s you get with the sat nav from Home 2 will they be included on home 3 or are there no poi s on the device at all ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjdj1689 wrote:
I hope this is not a silly question , I just downloaded Co pilot for my I phone and I travel to London a lot and that came up that I would be in the congestion zone, how come Tom Tom never show this on their maps, will this be a third party poi as it never seems to be on their maps ?

It isn't actually VISIBLE on the map, but it certainly is there, and has been since v7 maps if I remember correctly. How it works, is that if your route travels through the congestion zone a full-screen warning appears as the route is being calculated and it asks if you want it to recalculate to avoid the zone or not.
If your destination (or start point) is in the zone, it brings up a similar screen to warn you of that.
It works very well, and the boundary was quickly updated when the congestion zone was enlarged by the Mayor's office.

The only thing it doesn't do is alter it's behaviour depending on the operating hours of the zone, so t is upto you to tell it not to worry, if you are travelling on a Sunday for example. This is an improvement that has been suggested to them but no luck getting it implemented so far.

mjdj1689 wrote:
On their new software the poi s you get with the sat nav from Home 2 will they be included on home 3 or are there no poi s on the device at all ?

No. All the normal POI categories you would expect to be already on the device are there (Airports, Railway Stations, Petrol Stations etc.), and they have been updated slightly too.

You can also create your own POI categories on the machine itself.

What you CAN'T do currently is:
1. add a POI category directly onto the machine by copying and pasting the data file like we are used to.
2. Access the POIs on the machine via Home OR get new ones through Home from anywhere else ("yet").
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
luvlara wrote:

The excuse of not having enough development resource does not ring right. If this is recognised as being so important to TomTom why not wait until the products are fully ready for sale rather than half baked?

Trevor wrote:
I find it hard to believe they dropped it because if timescales.

Actually, that's probably the one thing you CAN believe.

TT would not be the first company where the engineers/developers have been crying out for more time, but the money men and marketeers have forced an early launch date of a product.

(My bold). Not likely! You surely don't believe this thing was built from the bottom up? Somebody at TT says "Right, new model, guys. I want a satnav which guides you from A to B and does various stuff too, like re-routing if I go off course, etc, etc, etc." and some developers and writers start scratching their heads about how to do it all??

I'd bet a pound to a pinch of doo doo that they have picked up so much code from existing software that the new thing is basically only a set of changes. Personally I believe it was a deliberate move, but they have suddenly had their eyes opened to the fact that if they go down this avenue, they'll positively lose customers. It's not just new customers (who quite probably will NOT go in with their eyes open), but people like me - faithful TT customers for many years (I shudder to think how many hundreds of pounds I've donated to their profits) and I guess they've got more of those than potential new ones.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mañana

yeah right! Goodbye TomTom.
Sproing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't consider buying it until the functionality was released and confirmed to be working.

How many people bought a non-LIVE model on the promise that an adaptor would be released to allow those models to use LIVE services, only to find that the adaptor had been canned and they'd have to buy a whole new satnav? ISTR there were a few complaints flying around at the time...

Wouldn't be surprised to find the 1000's 3rd party POI support ending up being a) late and b) a bit of a bodge that doesn't really work too well - but look! It's fixed on the new 1010, coming soon!

Or am I just Mister Cynical today?
razor302
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: No More TomTom for me !! Reply with quote

I think with this situation, TomTom have left me in no situation for the future but to look at Navi as oppose to thier systems.

This is yet another let down by TomTom after 2 years ago I purchased the top of the range TomTom Go 730 which included RDS Traffic, then after 18 months they pulled the plug on RDS support with a new firmware upgrade leaving my Traffic RDS system useless, and no going back to my original fiirmware.

I just think the latest 'scam' by TomTom is another way of making you pay for their own databases as oppose to 3rd party POIs

Dont they realise there is still a credit crunch out there !! Its expensive enough buying the Sat Nav systems without being forced to buy their own POIs too.

Come on TOMTOM get your acts together and think of your loyal customers instead of it all being one way traffic, all up your street !!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIVE services are free for the first 12mths after purchase so technically you would have access to their speed camera service without extra cost albeit it's absolute rubbish!
razor302
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Wrong Times on Posting Reply with quote

Editor Darren,

Why are your times wrong on your postings please, any particular reason?

Ray
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong Times on Posting Reply with quote

razor302 wrote:
Editor Darren,

Why are your times wrong on your postings please, any particular reason?

Ray

They're not, you need to check what timezone you have set in your forum profile?
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Munufacturers' Attitude Reply with quote

Far too many manufacturers seem to have the idea that their customers are content to be served up what they, the manufacturers, deign. Sheer arrogance, just like Apple's attitude. I hope TomTom is listening (probably not) but I will not be buying a TomTom any more as much previously much-used functionality seems to take a back seat when it comes to "improvements". Remember the old days of V3 when you could block out an area in which you did not need to travel but which the software insisted you go?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: No More TomTom for me !! Reply with quote

razor302 wrote:
then after 18 months they pulled the plug on RDS support with a new firmware upgrade leaving my Traffic RDS system useless, and no going back to my original fiirmware.

Why not create a new thread about this RDS issue as they certainly haven't pulled the plug on the RDS TMC Traffic system, what they did was release a map with some data files that Home incorrectly installed to the device rendering the Traffic useless - If this is whats wrong I am sure we can soon fix this little issue for you - Mike
Nottmguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Tomtom GO 1000 Reply with quote

Well after reading this article this morning, I have just cancelled my order for a new 1000 giving the lack of POI support as a reason. Sad really as i was looking forward to receiving it but i am not prepared to go without it as I use them alot. My good old 540 will have to do for now.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my 730 works fine - and I have the latest maps etc.

Back on topic Mike, I'd like to see that list.

Alan
johnrobinson123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we should all email tomtom about this, i have.
hi there had alsorts of tomtom in the past, i tell friends to only buy a tomtom as there the best..... but now i read that TomToms GO 1000 and their new XL replacement, the VIA, do not support the installation or use of third party POIs or POI.
i myself am a big user of poi's as i travel all over europe. i was about to buy the go1000 buy i dont think so. user poi is a good thing. bring them back.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: