Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO940 - New TomTom App v9.054, Now No Live Services
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO940 - New TomTom App v9.054, Now No Live Services
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should remember the x40 units when launched were not enabled for roaming, this has been introduced since product launch, I am not saying the roaming capability is the issue here but it would certainly affect the SIM card/ data contract and connection.

As for testing the v9 Navcore, the phrase "you can lead a horse to water" springs to mind, I will leave it up to you to remember the second line - Mike
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Perhaps you should remember the x40 units when launched were not enabled for roaming, this has been introduced since product launch, I am not saying the roaming capability is the issue here but it would certainly affect the SIM card/ data contract and connection.

At the time I bought my 940 TomTom had already firmly promised that roaming was to be added to Live Service in the very immediate future. So I do regard it as part of a contractual commitment by TomTom.

Also why does the SIM card issue not affect our German, Swiss, French or Portuguese owning 940 cousins if this is at the root of the problem. However GSM SIM cards do have quite a lot of oddities. For instance some of the latest ones refuse to run at all in some of my very oldest GSM phones.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Also why does the SIM card issue not affect our German, Swiss, French or Portuguese owning 940 cousins if this is at the root of the problem.

It does, look at other forums from these countries (in their languages) and it is not only UK users that are affected.

Also my understanding (may be out of date by now) is not that SIMs are enabled for roaming but the networks authorise that SIM for roaming.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MrT"]
WackyRaces wrote:
Also my understanding (may be out of date by now) is not that SIMs are enabled for roaming but the networks authorise that SIM for roaming.

Roaming is something that is actively disabled by the foreign network until such time as they enable it for various other specified foreign networks that they have made arrangements with but in addition a UK network can deny roaming to any individual customer on just their SIM card if for instance that customer has a bad credit rating.

The curious thing about the roaming TomTom have set up for the data services is that the list of countries you can roam in is very wide ranging and actually includes countries for which there is no TomTom map available never mind going way beyond the countries in which they market the Live services.

This makes their excuse that the SIM card is at the route of all the problems all the more implausible although it seems fairly obvious that the issues must be associated with the Live device's GPRS data settings. On a normal GSM phone these can be manipulated through the phone menus but on a Live TomTom device only TomTom have control through the firmware they release to the device.

I do not see how the Vodafone SIM card can actually be at fault. The problem must be poorly written and inflexible mobile phone control firmware by TomTom.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:

This makes their excuse that the SIM card is at the route of all the problems all the more implausible

Implausible but seemingly true.

WackyRaces wrote:
I do not see how the Vodafone SIM card can actually be at fault. The problem must be poorly written and inflexible mobile phone control firmware by TomTom.

As with most things, it's always the interaction between two things that causes problems.
A different SIM card with the old software works, different software with the old SIM card works too. Finding what other problems either solution causes is the ongoing problem.

And as keeps getting mentioned..... go back to v8 software and you get exactly what you paid for.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
And as keeps getting mentioned..... go back to v8 software and you get exactly what you paid for.

Which is fine so far as it goes, but the problem here is that the broken software is still recommended for download to anyone who connects to Home. Like they will to update the maps after the email this week. We can forgive the problem taking a while, but continuing to break people's devices is really poor.

I note that it is mentioned in PC Pro magazine that comes out about now - Jon Honeyball on the back page.
Bukton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Format the device then copy the Day 01 back up to the device using Windows Explorer - Mike

I did that. Now people do not hear me when I phone. This is one feature I badly missed. How can I get it back please?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others will correct me, I'm sure, but I think you make a call from the unit while connected to the phone. A volume slider appears on the screen. While it look like the 'normal' volume slider one sees by tapping the left side of the status bar (on many models), it isn't.

So, you slide the setting on this volume bar to a higher setting and you should be good to go.
Bukton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Others will correct me, I'm sure, but I think you make a call from the unit while connected to the phone. A volume slider appears on the screen. While it look like the 'normal' volume slider one sees by tapping the left side of the status bar (on many models), it isn't.

So, you slide the setting on this volume bar to a higher setting and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the prompt reply. No volume bar props up during a call. The 'normal' nolume is above 75%. There was no issue like this prior to device format.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "special" volume control only appears if you tap the screen (during a call) in the same place as you would to adjust the normal volume.

Unfortunately, that volume control affects the INCOMING call volume, so won't help with your problem.
wulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after all that is the software fixed yet ?
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been putting a bit of pressure on TT and got the following response this morning after asking for a timescale:

"This is Rose at TomTom Customer Support.

Error 1008 is a very complex issue, and our Technical team is working to resolve it . We are working hard to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

Any particular time scale to determine how much time it may take to resolve the error, is not available.

I understand how frustrating this issue has been.

If you have any more questions, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help you further.

With Kind Regards

Rose
The TomTom Customer Care Team"

perhaps a few more enquiries may bring results!

(a very very nice, handsome and generous gentleman who is really rather modest, shy and retiring!)

They didn't make many like him - and now they've lost the mould!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they are sitting there with their fingers crossed hoping the same problem does not occur in the next application update.

I will take that back for the moment, 9.058 is now on Home.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just connected to home to get my latest map and noticed that the new app version is now 9.058, not 9.054!

Have done a full explorer back up and updated and guess what?
IT CONNECTS TO TOMTOM SERVERS!!!!

Woo Hooo...

Early days though, still waiting it to get a Sat lock but did connect to traffic and seen some incidents on the browse map screen. Also connects to Google.

Will post more shortly

Steve
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news,

What device do you have?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: