Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating your maps?... BE PATIENT!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating your maps?... BE PATIENT!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Updating your maps?... BE PATIENT! Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just spent the last 3 hours updating the maps on my TomTom ONE (Europe) to the latest available version, using a direct USB connection between the device and my computer.

I have a fast PC with a Pentium 4 dual core processor, and 4 GB memory, but not the fastest of broadband speeds unfortunately, so the download itself took about an hour and a half.

It did of course initially advise me that the available storage on my device was not now large enough to accommodate to whole of Europe, but I decided that the Western Europe option would be more than adequate for my requirements.

After completing the download, it then moved on the installation process, which is where the next hour and a half went. It spent so long Copying files, and the 'blue bar' hardly seemed to be moving at all, that at times I thought it had 'crashed', but it did eventually complete the entire process without a single error message being displayed, which is a 'first' for me!

When I moved outside to try it out, it took longer than I expected to 'boot up' and to locate some satellites, but having done so, all seemed well.

So... the summary of this message is, BE PATIENT, and having started the process, just leave it to get on with it, and give it a chance to sort itself out, which it hopefully will do, for you also! Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid your ONE only has USB v1 chips, so the transfer rate is dreadfully slow compared to the USB 2 on the Go models.

(USB 2 can achieve 480 Mbit/s, a fortyfold increase over the 12 Mbit/s that USB 1.0 can manage)
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy... but are you saying that even the latest IQ Routes Edition models (which mine is!) still don't have the newer USB 2 chips?

Surely even TomTom can't be that far behind! Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XL IQ and XL IQ Live are both equipped with USB 1 - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT must still have a great big bucket of them left over that they bought cheap! Cool
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating your maps?... BE PATIENT! Reply with quote

Montala wrote:
I have a fast PC with a Pentium 4

May have been fast when Fred Flintstone was alive.

P4 is stone age.

About time you upgraded! Laughing
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the e-mail from TomTom stating there latest map, with it's greatly improved graphics etc. was available for download.

After downloading W&CE v850.2800 onto my 940L I cannot see any difference from earlier versions. Some Forum members speak of trees etc.

Afterwards I did a 150 mile trip and this was the first time the graphics froze, the voice instructions carried on working OK.

By just touching the screen and then selecting 'Done' brought it back on track. I have it all on a 8GB card with ample spare space and nothing on the internal memory.

Not offered any options on what to download so is my version the latest available?

Waiting for a reply from TT support.
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating your maps?... BE PATIENT! Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Montala wrote:
I have a fast PC with a Pentium 4

May have been fast when Fred Flintstone was alive.

P4 is stone age.

About time you upgraded! Laughing

I really don't know what I was thinking about when I wrote that, as it is nothing of the sort! Embarassed

My CPU is actually an Intel 8600 3.33GHz Core 2 Duo, which may not be the fastest kid on the block these days, but it certainly ain't no slouch!

... and why TomTom didn't use USB 2 spec chips in a new model, I just don't know... especially when most users (they hope!) are going to be downloading fairly large files on a regular basis... talk about penny pinching! Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: