Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom NEW rds-tmc traffic reciever
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom NEW rds-tmc traffic reciever
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having used both ,give me hd traffic anytime ,it is so much better than the wired stuff
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Honda built in unit uses RDS TMC via local radio stations. These are collected by the unit and you can, via a hidden menu, view the number of 'providers' the unit has detected.

However, I can zoom out and see traffic conditions for Tm covered roads for the whole country - so what's different ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom don't make Hondas (I think). Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
granite-silver
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
My Honda built in unit uses RDS TMC via local radio stations. These are collected by the unit and you can, via a hidden menu, view the number of 'providers' the unit has detected.

However, I can zoom out and see traffic conditions for Tm covered roads for the whole country - so what's different ?

Is TMC better with the factory fitted sat nav option ? Seems just right when fitted to the Honda .
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honda unit does have some limitations when compared to the portable ranges but overall it's quite good:

7" screen
There when you need it with ignition turn on and with no trailing wires
Voice control option
Zoom levels from 50yds to 120 miles per inch

downsides:

2D only (although maybe considered better when your used to it)
No user POI's

What it is good at though is the TMC traffic. It shows any traffic hotspots with a leading warning triangle (up to 3 symbols depending on severity) followed by a red bar alongside the road for the length of the problem and it's directional.

Even though I am in London I can move the centre of focus to say Glasgow with the 'joystick' and zoom in and get these traffic warnings.

I assumed that the traffic for the whole country gets fed into Tm central office and distributed en-mass to all UK radio stations.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning all,

So now we have got the HD vs RDS out of the way, has anybody used this reciever yet and if so is it any good? Does it get a signal reasonably quickly and hold it without drop outs? I have the XL IQ and with no option of HD traffic it is (sometimes) better than nothing. I have found when I have used the TMC reciever in Europe the standard of the information is often much better than the UK TMC channel.

I have the mini USB version with the square box of tricks on the wire however I am too lazy to plug the charger into the TMC and then put suckers all round the windscreen. The USB version also stops working when the 12v cigar lighter looses power in some cars - does this do the same.

Any comments, pointers on this one will be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Tim
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafrost wrote:
The USB version also stops working when the 12v cigar lighter looses power in some cars - does this do the same.

Hi Tim, yes the new receiver works in the same way requiring power all the time to remain on, only the original oval shaped RDS receivers (up to part number .013) would draw power from the PND to remain on.

In use its quite good, reception and time to acquire a signal is certainly as good as the .013 and square types of previous receivers, in fact its probably faster in acquiring the signal.

Data, this isn't down to the receiver its down to the data provider, I am glad to use HD Traffic rather than RDS due to the accuracy - that said no traffic data system is 100% in terms of accuracy - Mike
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. I have ordered one to play with. My next device will have live connectivity though!!

I do find rds quite good in France where it is provided by Michellin. Thats one advantage of living 7 minutes from the Chunnel.

Tim
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafrost wrote:
I do find rds quite good in France where it is provided by Michellin. Thats one advantage of living 7 minutes from the Chunnel.

Tim
I like it!! So to find out about traffic on the M2 (Or maybe M4 et al) all you need to do is pop 7 minutes down the road, down into the chunnel, pop up over in France, switch on the device with RDS-TMC and Robert est ton oncle! Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new device does look quite interesting for, as they say, there is no need for extra wires and cables on the windscreen.... and I usually have mine 'plugged in' anyway!

However, most TomTom accessories are usually available from on-line outlets such as Amazon at a lower price than that quoted by TomTom on their own website.

Has anyone seen this product being sold elsewhere, and do we even know whether TomTom themselves are actually shipping it yet?

P.S. I take it that there is no on-going 'subscription' charge, or anything like that... or is there?
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montala wrote:
P.S. I take it that there is no on-going 'subscription' charge, or anything like that... or is there?

AFAIK the technology is the same as the existing one, so there is no reason why it shouldn't be free, TMC isn't provided by TT, so even they would have difficulty charging for it.

Slightly off-topic but similar point, my C5 has traffic master (although not active) is there any way I can link into the signal or aerial with my TMC/RDS? Is it the same system or completely different?

dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,
I meant when I am in France too heading away from the M2, M20 and the rest of this overcrowded country! ;)

It is nice to be able to escape so easily to roads with a smooth surface!
Tim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
Montala wrote:

AFAIK the technology is the same as the existing one, so there is no reason why it shouldn't be free, TMC isn't provided by TT, so even they would have difficulty charging for it.

To be pedantic, it isn't actually free in the UK, but there is a one-off "subscription charge" included in the purchase price.
The situation in Europe is more complicated with a plethora of free and commercial services, but I think in the US it *is* (or was?) a subscription service.
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDS-TMC for more detail that you ever wanted! Very Happy )
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that Andy! Wink

Going back to my earlier post, do you, or anyone else for that matter, know of an alternative, and hopefully cheaper, source for these?
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered mine from Power-on.co.uk although its not turned up yet so I cant say whether its any good or not.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: