Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DS2 Systems ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DS2 Systems ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: DS2 Systems ??? Reply with quote

Wokingham area has become "littered" with loads (and I mean loads as it seems every road into out of and around) of "DS2 like parallel rubber strips" across the roads .. Never see a van near any of them

Are they simply traffic profiling systems ?? or have they really that many potential DS2 sites ??

Are DS2 sites not covered by the same "guidelines" as any other camera installs (At least 4 "killed or seriously injured" accidents per km in last three calendar years and/or at least 8 "personal injury accidents" per km in last three calendar years) ..

I guess if they are profiling systems they can be converted to Cameras by the "85th percentile speed at least 10% above speed limit plus 2mph" guideline .. .If so expect Berkshire residents to be posting new cameras soon Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these are two rubber strips across the road, connected to a metal box that is chained to a lamppost then as far as i'm aware these are just traffic counters / speed monitors. The data collected tells whoever wants to know about traffic patterns including vehicle types, speed and traffic density.

A load did appear near me a few weeks ago but they seem to have gone now.
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul .. yeah looks like survey to work out where to put cameras live again .. Over last few days seen a number of vans parked at existing cameras with them being worked on in the Wokingham Area
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdavison wrote:
Thanks Paul .. yeah looks like survey to work out where to put cameras live again .. Over last few days seen a number of vans parked at existing cameras with them being worked on in the Wokingham Area

These are normally just for traffic census purposes, nothing to do with speed cameras. More to do with knowing which routes attract the most vehicles etc.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yeah looks like survey to work out where to put cameras live again

Not really what i said but I thought so too recently after a Monitron near me was taken down and loads of these appeared all over my town. However Darren summed it up a bit clearer. Camera locations aren't chosen using counters and monitors but accident statistics.
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the wife and myself we have seen the Vans loading up Cameras (assumed .. as in camera box open, lowered down and guy fiddling with it and Police marked van parked on pavement beside it - all early morning around 7 am) in 4 of the old installed Gatso's on the roads these strips had been used on.. Coincidence ? Maybe

As the others said I understand locations for new camera installs driven by accidents etc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: