Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comWe have discussed the move by TomTom with withdraw support for third party POI alerts in some of their new models in previous issues.

Until now we have had to speculate as to the reasons for this change, whether they were choosing to remove this feature on budget models only or if this was a change that would eventually transfer to every new model.

Well TomTom have now responded to our request for an official comment on their position.

"TomTom has stopped supporting 3rd party POI proximity warning sounds in speed camera products."

Their official position is "TomTom Start2 and XL IQR2 still supports 3rd party POI, but TomTom has stopped supporting 3rd party POI proximity warning sounds in speed camera products. We do not comment on roadmaps or future products, but we continue to remain supportive of 3rd party developer content".

So there you have it, new models will no longer offer POI Warning functionality for third party POI data.

matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if they provide a way for YOU to sell your POI through their store, then this will be acceptable. Otherwise I've bought my last TomTom device.

It is obviously a move to protect their speed camera business, but it is simplistic and naive. After all, I already pay for Live so they get their camera money. Why must they stop me also having other POIs too?

Perhaps the most useful POI warning I have is for a set I made myself of service stations. This means that the satnav sounds a special noise when we are approaching services, and we can then judge whether the kids are going to need the toilet. But no, TomTom know better so want to remove this facility.

Perhaps I'll start using iPhone satnav instead of a new device in the future. One that is open.
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

I'm unclear - is it just new hardware that's affected, or does this statement imply that as/when the software on my Go520 is updated, I will lose the audible warnings ?

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After all, I already pay for Live so they get their camera money. Why must they stop me also having other POIs too?

Not all units have LIVE Services. Some just have the TT cameras which still requires a subscription. However i suspect in those cases TT are loosing out on revenue to PGPSW....

I also wonder if they are about to tie up some major POI database deals...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianA wrote:
Darren

I'm unclear - is it just new hardware that's affected, or does this statement imply that as/when the software on my Go520 is updated, I will lose the audible warnings ?

Although their statement isn't very clear, our understanding is that, for now at least, those current models that do support POI Alerts will continue to do so.

If TomTom chose to release an update that removed this it would cause a furore and we cannot see them choosing to remove that functionality from existing devices where it was available at point of sale.
Ian_J
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianA wrote:
Darren

Seconded

I'm looking round for a new SatNav, will I be safe buying an older vs new TomTom unit or should I buy a different brand?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian_J wrote:

Seconded

I'm looking round for a new SatNav, will I be safe buying an older vs new TomTom unit or should I buy a different brand?

See my previous reply.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
If TomTom chose to release an update that removed this it would cause a furore and we cannot see them choosing to remove that functionality from existing devices where it was available at point of sale.

Probably more importantly, remember that some new maps need the latest software to work. If they did decide to take the function off existing devices with a software upgrade, existing users won't bother to upgrade the map (and pay TT for it) - I certainly won't. Let's face it, roads don't change that much (not nearly the 15%/year they claim).

I'd be quite happy running my 730 with it's current software and map for a few more years.
Brodit ProClip mount
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
I'd be quite happy running my 730 with it's current software and map for a few more years.
Ditto for my 910.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be bad news for PGPSW in the longer term.

As members renew their devices, will they stick with the most popular brand, TomTom and their reasonable, but not quite accurate speed cameras, or will they change brands to one of the manufacturers which fully supports 3rd party POI alerts?

If' it's the former, will people bother to renew their membership if the PGPSW speed cameras are no longer useful to them?

I suspect it will be a bit of both, with some of the less active members opting to stick with TomTom.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if Tomtom approaches PGPS in a few months and offers to purchase your Speed Camera database, albeit at a marginal price. It's unfortunate that the Tomtom that got much of it's attractiveness from the open platform and 3rd party software capabilities as a start-up has now decided only certain development is to allowed anymore. Even that will be squashed when Tomtom has methods in place (web-based Home) to either derive some income from the developers or develop their own software for some of the extended functions. Going forward it appears that if it doesn't come from Tomtom themselves, it won't be allowed.

They are no longer the TomTom of even a couple years ago. A shame.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
This could be bad news for PGPSW in the longer term.

Indeed so but we have always had competition from TomTom and the vast majority already use TT's data in blissful ignorance of an alternative.

If this occurs and TT do not offer a service for us and others to sell via them then we will do as we have done before and diversify.
Quote:
TomTom and their reasonable, but not quite accurate speed cameras,

Have to challenge that, they are much worse than that! They are atrocious, compared them only yesterday and received warnings for cameras long since gone/moved. This included fixed cameras for which there can be no excuse.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's a great big honking surprise. Not.

Having just re-read the article, I can't really say I'm too surprised. It's about TomTom, after all.

TomTom's ability to accept 3rd party POI lists that you could tailor an alert to, was a major selling point - indeed, it was why the first satnav package that I ever bought for my smartphone a few years back was made by TomTom.

Then their customer services went over a cliff, plunging groundwards as if propelled by rockets.

First, they failed to reply to enquiries; then, they failed to update mapping - even if a fee was required. Then they failed - nay, refused - to update the software, with the "read between the lines" comments being that software piracy was obviously to blame for a loss of sales - what utter and complete rot. It was their failure to maintain and update the software for smartphones that was the cause of the loss of sales: Common sense would have told them that, had they paid attention.

Then, when a major manufacturer (HTC) released a brand new smartphone, they up and generated a bundled version for the German Market release of that phone only, tied to one network.

The release was then widened to a couple more models of phone (still a bundled release), and eventually,and grudgingly, released to retail: It was still a generation behind their stand alone Personal Navigation Device (PND) releases, however.

Now, yet again, TomTom's institutional arrogance seems to have no limits. Having captured a significant proportion of the market with their support for 3rd party POI warning-capable lists with easily adjustable warning features (distance to warning, sound used, and so on) - NOT just speed cameras, but such things as supermarket, petrol stations, banks, Cash machines, and Post Office locations, which many folks find exceedingly useful on a daily basis, TomTom have apparently decided that we cannot be trusted to use such a feature responsibly. Don't forget what they said in their press release:

Quote:
TomTom has stopped supporting 3rd party POI proximity warning sounds in speed camera products

For a DUTCH company to make a read-between-the-lines comment like this is gob-smackingly astounding - The Netherlands are supposed to be a haven for liberal views and thinking. Not for TomTom any more, it seems. Well, OK, they have a right to form their own opinions: It's a relatively free world, after all.

But for TomTom to have the arrogance of then removing a previously free feature that helped to sell their products, by a read-between-the-lines comment that we cannot be trusted to use this feature responsibly, is totally unacceptable. The era of Nanny-Life-Management is over, TomTom. Wake up: We're adults, not children.

It's more likely, frankly, that in developing new versions of the package, they want to simplify the software, thus reducing the development costs. I can follow that line of thinking a damn sight more understandably. We're in the midst of a depression, after all.

In short though, it's yet another damn good reason to tell TomTom go take a long hike off a short pier.

I'm sure their own POI lists will warn them in time that they're going to have to brake hard to avoid going off the pier, after all...
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame Apple.
DarrenR21373
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I've gone to the dark side - I've ordered a Navigon 4350 Max (if it ever turns up from Halfrauds - £150 off RRP for one weekend only was just too good to ignore!) after the touch screen on my TT One became useless. It even has speed camera warnings built in for fixed cameras, which from my colleagues' devices, seem pretty accurate; for my customer POI's, it can import addresses from Outlook.

And I can purchase POI-Warner to use PGPSW's database for mobiles, specs, etc.

Can anyone else see a gap in the market emerging for Navigating.de - release POI-Warner for TomTom Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: