Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Active 10 Pros and Cons???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Active 10 Pros and Cons???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reece34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Satmap Active 10 Pros and Cons??? Reply with quote

Im looking at buying a new GPS to upgrade from my Roadangel Adventurer 7000 and ive been looking and reading up on the Satmap but thought i would be better off getting opinions from people who have used a Satmap.

My niggles towards the Satmap are im going to have to buy new maps for it that are not cheap. Even more annoying because i have OS 1:25k mapping for the whole of the UK which i use on my Adventurer 7000.

I also prefer planning routes using memory map but i understand its still possible to do this and then transfer the routes to a Satmap.

I know i have the option of the Memory Map Adventurer 2800 but the small screen size and battery is putting me off.

So what are the pros and cons people have found with the Satmap compared to other GPS's
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Satmap product is well designed and well thoughtout making it easy to use even with gloves on, as you already have lots of mapping though its going to get rather costly to switch to the active10.

One other option to consider is to run Memory Map on a PDA combined with a Bluetooth GPS receiver with the PDA in a waterproof case, all up cost should be under £150 for the whole lot:

x51 PDA
Otter Box
BT GPS

The above would create a fully waterproof portable system with a screen area the same as the active10 and can use your existing maps, transferal of routes from the PC to the device is also very easy, for longer walkes consider a second battery or even an external battery pack - Mike
reece34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks alot for that information.Very helpful and great to know of the option you have given me.

Regarding the PDA and GPS Receiver im unsure how they work together.
Do they work via bluetooth or something?

I mean as im following a route how does it all work.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDA does indeed communicate with the GPS receiver via Bluetooth and as such displays your current position on the map provided by your Memory Map software which displays on the PDA screen.

As for following a route, you pre-plan this on the PC using your Memory Map software on the PC before exporting the route and its associated waypoints to the handheld device, on the PDA you will get directional information such as distance and heading to each waypoint along your pre-planned route - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: