Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8450 LIVE Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8450 LIVE Traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Con. Well, Navigon's reply to the Live question is Rolling Eyes
Quote:
Stay tuned :-)
Shocked Wink

How long for is not mentioned Mad
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at details of the New Range models on the UK site. There will be a 70 Premium Live, by the looksof it, and there is already a 40 Premium Live for reserving.

BUT the big disappointment for me is that Live Services will still be using the clunky plug-in Live module, not an integrated chip as I had been hoping.
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon David.
So without me browsing through the range, the 8450 has not been replaced ?...... up to press.
Confused .com

Cheers Con.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Con - the Navigon UK link given by xtraseller in the thread "Navigon 4310 questions" doesn't seem to be the normal site; not sure yet just where it really is!

But as I see it, there will be a 70 Premium Live model which will be a 5" model comparable with the 8350 but with additional hardware (eg screen sensitivity) and software (eg Active Lane Assistant, Improved voice control) functionality. But as I said, it looks like the Live Service implementation is basically identical.

What this means for the 8350 (or the other current models) I don't know. I guess there will be some "catch-up" software enhancements offered to bring these models more in line with the new ones, as they have been doing over the last year or so. How long for though ... Still I guess the 8450 has a reasonable lifespan ahead of it at the moment, and seems a better buy at its lower price whereever the latest 'must have' features are more of a 'who cares' offering.

I think my draft ebay ad for my 8310 is heading for the bin though ... Sad
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David.

Get the drift of your opinion ..... I,m still waiting for the zero feed back seller of the £175 8450 to get some feed back Laughing The move sounds good to keep yours a little longer.

Unless I hear different I'll most likely get one afore the weeks out.

I've had a few people call this past week and there are several options to get to us, it amazed me the round about route someone with a Tom Tom was given, I couldn't factor it in using all the alternatives, fastest,shortest etc.,
My current inbuilt unit also gets it totally wrong not far from base, whilst the display route shows correctly I'm told to turn right at a left turning and the same on the return journey told left at a right turning.

Cheers Con
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you wanted to look, I found that xtraseller's link IS to the UK site - I was looking at "Products", whereas his link is to the "Shop" page Rolling Eyes

I know what you mean about odd routing, which I've VERY rarely found on Navigon (and I think the only one I DID come across was in fact one not found by me but by someone else who queried it here!). In my recent frustrations I've been a bit tempted by a user review of a new Garmin in another thread here - but (probably fortunately) I am still not convinced that they have really got rid of all their Nuvi routing's erratic behaviour that drove me away from Garmin a few years ago.

Still I think the major manufacturers all look as if they are gearing up for a battle royale on enhanced user facilities, in the face, I am guessing, of the iPhone challenge. I suspect a couple of interesting years are in the offing.

Good Luck with your purchase!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Garmin v Navigon Reply with quote

Yes the Garmin's routing remains poor compared with the Navigon - which in my experience is only bettered by the Navman (although the latest Navigons have many more features)

With the rate at which Navigon are throughing out new features (some very good) and their willingness to provide soft-updates (at cost) for the legacy units, they deserve to do well

Their map-update scheme is the best in the business

Now, if only they would release a simple mount - like the Navman or Garmin one, I would be tempted with any of the new live units with Active Lane Guidance...
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late finish tonight Chaps but a very quick glance reveals even 'Navigon' have the 8450 listed for £349.
Do you think for the sake of a tenner there's any advantage in purchasing direct Question as it's available from another company at £339.

Cheers Con.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what company it is!! Assuming it's one people have had good dealings with, then I'd still check that the spec includes everything you would get from Navigon - people have been caught out before by forgetting that very often you do NOT get 'owt for nowt'. Eg is it definitely a brand new item and not a refurbished one (even Navigon are selling these now, but at least they are honest about them, and they are siginificantly cheaper).

ANY doubts and for the sake of a tenner I'd go straight for Navigon.
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's SatNav Warehouse through Amazon at £339 P&P Free, Navigon is£349 plus P&P.... the difference could go toward a leather pouch Laughing

Cheers Con.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, haven't seen anything bad about them here. Mike Barrett, PGPSW staff, mentioned them appearing at the BBC Gadget Show exibition last year so seem reputable on that front ...
leckyphil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Live services v TMC Reply with quote

Navigon offering a half price Live Module at the moment. Can anyone tell me if the traffic warnings are an improvement over TMC. I often travel overnight & find road closures due to maintenance work & there is no indication on TMC. Do they show up on Live Service. Thanks in advance.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: