Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map 850.2781
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map 850.2781
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
adobbing wrote:
I seem to remember it is just the mapsettings.cfg file which needs to be saved and then copied back after the new map is installed, could somebody confirm?

The last time I tried it on the GO 740 Live when a new map appeared it didn't seem to work and I ended up having to reconfigure all the alerts!

I copied my mapsettings.cfg on my ONE series 30, but still lost all my favourites and corrections. I think there must be an additional file on some of the newer models (probably one of the .tlv files)

Finally got it to work. You need to copy the mapsettings.cfg from the map folder and setting.dat from the route directory. I then did a power reset and operate my ONE from TT home, all original settings including recent destinations and my previous map corrections now restored Smile

adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
JoolsTwo wrote:
adobbing wrote:
I seem to remember it is just the mapsettings.cfg file which needs to be saved and then copied back after the new map is installed, could somebody confirm?

The last time I tried it on the GO 740 Live when a new map appeared it didn't seem to work and I ended up having to reconfigure all the alerts!

I copied my mapsettings.cfg on my ONE series 30, but still lost all my favourites and corrections. I think there must be an additional file on some of the newer models (probably one of the .tlv files)

Finally got it to work. You need to copy the mapsettings.cfg from the map folder and setting.dat from the route directory. I then did a power reset and operate my ONE from TT home, all original settings including recent destinations and my previous map corrections now restored Smile

I will try this on my XL Live IQ Routes Europe and my Go 740 Live when the next map eventuaslly arrives for them.

If anyone else tries it and it seems to work, it may be an idea to sticky it!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't think it's that simple. Lots of people report different results from what seem to be the same set of circumstances. So also it all adds to the store of knowledge, on it's own it isn't a single universal "stickyable" answer.

Anyway, I thought Settings.dat only contains things like the settings for your phone and hands-free (the phone IDs and MAC addresses etc.)
Your email address/account name for Home, the various web addresses for the Live Services (Weather, Safety Cams etc.) If you have a model with Bluetooth and/or Live services, its about 10kB in size, but on a model without them its on;ly about 1-2kB.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
I don't think the .tlv files are relevant, but the issue with mapsettings.cfg is that if the *software* is changed at the same time as the map, it's that which can screw up the POI warnings still working.

Either live with it, or *sometimes* opening the "Operate my device" emulator in Home and then saving a new favourite can update and overwrite the mapsettings.cfg file so it then works with the new software.

If it still won't work, give up and re-do the warning settings.

I tried adding a new favourite from home, but made no difference. Not so bothered about the POI warnings as I only have a few, but losing the favourites and other settings is annoying.

What additional software is changed when the map is updated?
The easiest way to deal with the favourites is to convert them to POIs
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Anyway, I thought Settings.dat only contains things like the settings for your phone and hands-free (the phone IDs and MAC addresses etc.)
Your email address/account name for Home, the various web addresses for the Live Services (Weather, Safety Cams etc.) If you have a model with Bluetooth and/or Live services, its about 10kB in size, but on a model without them its on;ly about 1-2kB.

My TT-ONE doesn't have any of that, but settings.dat is updated at the same frequency as mapsettings.cfg, so they must be connected. I think the .tlv files (I've got loads of them) are used be TT home to track subscriptions to services, POIs, maps, etc. It obviously varies depending what navcore you use, but at least I now know what works for my model.

norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
My TT-ONE doesn't have any of that, but settings.dat is updated at the same frequency as mapsettings.cfg, so they must be connected.

That's a bit like saying every time someone has been to the store they come out with eggs and soap! Just because these two files are re-written at the same time does not mean they are in any way related.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have more than one map on your device you will see which settings are map dependent and which are device. POIs, recent destinations, favourites etc are all map dependant and are stored in the mapsettings.cfg.

settings.dat has map independent settings for things such as user name and account information, general unit preferences and bluetooth connection information.

Your mapsettings.cfg can be overwritten on map or operating system upgrades. Your system settings are not normally affected by a map upgrade.
docdoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be the first map update that I can think of where any of my mapshare corrections have been taken into account. Maybe there has been a blitz at TeleAtlas!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this current situation in any way normal? Is it common for TomTom to release maps for some devices/areas days after releasing them for others? Do you think it worth asking TomTom, or will it just sort itself out.

Thoughts?
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Is this current situation in any way normal? Is it common for TomTom to release maps for some devices/areas days after releasing them for others? Do you think it worth asking TomTom, or will it just sort itself out.

Thoughts?

When TomTom have released new maps in the past they always seem to suffer from server download overload, probably because many customers are using the map update service. Releasing them area by area will probably help them to overcome this problem. Perhaps we are all supposed to be patient and wait for TT to email us that our new map is ready that's what they normally do several days after initial release.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless i've misunderstood it appears the ONLY map that hasn't been released at the same time is the W&CE 2GB Map. All the others seem to have been released at the same time.

It has been rumored that TT were going to have difficulty in getting the W&CE 2GB map to fit on some units but they didn't answer my questions about that!
tommyxl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not just the 2gb version.... I have a 30 series XL with the UK/ROI/WESTERN EU 1GB maps and i`m still on v845.

I`ve emailed CS and have received a reply stating that `adjustments` are being made by the developers and they can`t give a date for release.

Whats going on?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whats going on?

See my comment above about fitting the map onto some units.
tommyxl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If their struggling with 2GB what about my poor little 1GB Confused
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have UK, ROI, Western Europe. The 2GB maps have UK, ROI, Western Europe and Central Europe.

I fear they are having problems fitting both maps into their respective sizes. The last 2GB was tight - only 50 MB free on my unit...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: