Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Variable Speeds - Going Down!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Variable Speeds - Going Down!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Variable Speeds - Going Down! Reply with quote

Just a thought while I was driving along the M25 yesterday...

I was approaching a gantry laiden with speed cameras and the enforced speed limit was 60 mph. I was doing just about that mph at the time.

I wasnt far from being underneath it when the speed limit dropped by 10mph to 50mph, thus now im about 3mph over the tollerance level. ( 50mph + 5mph (10%) +2mph)

Thankfully for me, I just had time to slam on the anchors and slow down to getting between 50 - 57mph.

I dont think the car in front had much chance though !

I guess the question im thinking, is do the cameras have a reset time after the signs change to a new lower limit?

MPW
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is apparently a "grace" period after a reduction of the VSL, I've heard 45 seconds quoted.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a grace period, to avoid this type of potential accident. I can't remember how long, though.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this post on Pepipoo which quotes the Statutory Instrument for the M6 VSL zone, if it changes, the speed limit for you is what was shown 10 seconds before you get to the sign.

This should cover any change as you approach the sign - which you may or may not see. You'll also have an idea what the next sign will say if you did see it change.
Brodit ProClip mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess I've wondered the same myself when the same happened to me on the M25 yesterday (not for my own benefit, you understand, merely for the benefit of people like you with big fast cars! Laughing ). I bet they really must have a time lag, but how long, is the question? The sensible lag would be the time it takes to travel the difference between the first and second speeds, simply by taking your foot off, rather than chucking the anchor over the side in desperation. But I guess they take the easy option and simply add nn seconds when they press the switch (probably excessive delay to cope with changes from derestricted to 40mph in one jump?). Being of little brain, I have absolutely no idea how many seconds that would be. Confused But in any scenario, if you're over the signed limit, you get clobbered, whether they get the time delay right or wrong - can you imagine the fun of trying to contest that in court?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to SpeedTrap the M25 grace period is 5 minutes which matches to the 3-5 minutes figure i found last time this came up.

Quote:
When a new speed limit is posted, the CMIIS software does the following:
1, Starts a timer for a user-set "grace period", to allow the motorist time to react to the new limit. This is generally set at 5mins.

This is to safe guard against "it changed before i had a chance" type defenses...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
the M25 grace period is 5 minutes

Gods and Fishes come to mind! Here am I, an ordinary simpleton, believing that they installed this traffic management system in order to improve traffic flows - y'know, instant reaction to the traffic situation a couple of miles ahead. Dammit, even I can get two miles up the motorway in 5 minutes!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: