Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera sited too close to speed limit change?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera sited too close to speed limit change?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Camera sited too close to speed limit change? Reply with quote

"A MOTORIST claims a new speed camera on a busy road in Filton has been deliberately positioned to catch drivers at the point where the 40mph limit changes to 30mph".

News report from the Bristol Evening Post

Very similar to the Monitron on the A40 as you come into London at Northolt.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article needs a comment that PGPSW camera database has included it since October last year (it warned me when I drove past it only a few days ago). I have absolutely no sympathy for the guy.

If he wants to see a camera close to the start of the limit, he could do to visit Gatso:77039 at Pensford, which is so close to the speed limit it might just as well be mounted on the same pole as the speed limit sign. But what's wrong with that? As one of the commenters says, drivers are supposed to be driving at 30mph when they enter the speed limit, not start to slow down as they pass it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis unfortunately the DOT do not take into account any third party camera warnings pgpsw or otherwise, secondly how do ypu know about a road speed change until you see the sign or do you have a telepathic sign to tell you to slow down in advance, sorry but your thinking is well and truly flawed.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought that one at Northolt is a revenue trap.

Fortunately my route takes me off at that slip road so when I first spotted it I was already just under 50mph anyway.

I wonder how many of the reported accidents at that location is due to motorists suddenly braking when they spot the high mounted camera?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
how do ypu know about a road speed change until you see the sign or do you have a telepathic sign to tell you to slow down in advance, sorry but your thinking is well and truly flawed.

I was merely stating that pgpsw camera database does the job it's intended for, namely gives a reminder (in my case 400 yards before the camera) that this is somewhere for special attention. I approached after making a pickup from the UK Blood and Transplant centre just up the road, I DID see the sign and so should everybody else, otherwise they are guilty of driving without due care and attention. I personally did not need the reminder, but the fool who got caught obviously did!

aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment was a generalisation and not specific to this location, their is no doubt that some cameras and signs are specifically speed traps and revenue earners, I have noticed an increase in lot off short lower speed sections like a location near me on a dual carrigeway that drops from 50 to 40 shortly before an roundabout then carries on for a few hundred yards which is a favourite spot for a mobile camera just before the 50 sign to catch people increasing to the 50 speed, I know its wrong but unfortunately its a natural reaction of people and this location is not a accident blackspot, and no I have not benn done there.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ring Road round Bristol (a poor design if every you saw one - roundabouts instead of flyovers - another Chichester bypass!) is a nice two lane dual carriageway and was set at 50mph from the day it was opened - what accident record is that? And each roundabout is reduced to 30mph.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: