Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ovi Maps Downloads from Nokia
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ovi Maps Downloads from Nokia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DGJones10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Ovi Maps Downloads from Nokia Reply with quote

Just bought a Nokia 5230 with OVI Maps and 4gb memory card
Downloaded maps of UK, France which I used last week and have also downloaded Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Austria for a forthcoming trip.
The device correctly showed location in France, Sark and the Scillies.
Now back home I am trying to use navigation.
I can select a route and start but within a few hundred yards a message appears asking do I wish to connect to Internet for Shop.
Answer either Yes or No and the navigation closes.
I have attempted to Download a later version of maps but my PC crashes with the Ovi screen.
I have tried variious options but all fail.
When my phone is connected to PC I am told there are no maps on my device when I know there are as I am looking at them
Any one have any thoughts.

This has now been sorted. I have found the Nokia 5230 with OVI maps extremely good. I have just done about 600 mile trip to Devon and back with very positive results. Better than my previous NAVMAN.
steve1259
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't post the fix to help others.

Was it updating to the newer v3 of the maps?
DGJones10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Steve, I thought I was the only one looking at OVI info.

I believe there is a basic problem with OVI sites, this is a message I receive today when looking at OVI maps.

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Not very encouraging.

I believe I improved things originally by uploading latest OVI Suite and PC Suite.

I also uploaded latest maps and operating system.

I have subsequently been on a coach trip through Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Austria, where I found the sytem very good.

On one occasion we were travelling along a country road in Slovakia, when I was informed that the driver was exceeding the speed limit.

It is not of course perfect, when travelling along a local residential road, I was instructed to turn of the main road and pass through a parking loop for a school before rejoining the road.

I can however recomend the system, which is my third GPS system as I think it is better in many ways than my previous Navman system.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: