Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - North Yorkshire to introduce mobile speed camera vans
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

North Yorkshire to introduce mobile speed camera vans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: North Yorkshire to introduce mobile speed camera vans Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comNorth Yorkshire's Road Safety Partnership plans to introduce mobile speed camera vans which will operate at 28 sites across the region.

North Yorks and Durham had chosen not to operate mobile speed cameras (the only two not to) but following Durham's change of mind North Yorks have chosen to jump in as well.

This will be seen as yet another cynical tax on the already overburdened motorist. Time and time again we see the blunt tool of enforcement by financial penalty chosen instead of other options.

With 1 in 3 motorists convinced that all three main political parties are anti-motorist that leaves over 10 million votes up for grabs.

Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that Durham is "strapped" for cash it was just a matter of time before they introduced the cameras.

K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love to give, it makes me feel so much better.
Stand-Offish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least speed cameras are in the main visible, even speed partnership ones in vans, if you keep a weather eye open.
So at least in conjunction with GPS World camera downloads into your device you have a chance.

If they ever started sticking tiny cameras in telegraph poles and the likes, we'd all be fooked.....but then there would be uproar.
Or maybe we would all adhere religiously to speed limits Laughing ;;I

personally stick to speed limits, even though I have camera warnings, since my money is my money after tax....and thbarstewardsds are not going to get anymore if I can help it. But even so there may be brief times when I drift a couple of miles over the limit, particularly on motorways.

The general speed on motorways is more like 80 than 70. If they ever started putting tiny hidden cameras every few hundred yards, they would make a fortune until we lost our licences or slowed down.

Now obviously, they wouldn't want that, not least because they would get no income (as well as crippling the economy). So it is a fine balance to optimise speeding revenue without killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

My cynical view is that as people stop giving them revenue, by surprisingly sticking to speed limits like I do, they will lower those limits in an attempt to revitalise the revenue stream, otherwise they are out of a job. That's the part of speed camera partnerships that offends me the most, it's not all about safety, if they don't get revenue they are out of a job, so it's in their interests to create situations where people can be caught. Cool

Anyway the answer is for everyone do do exactly as the speed partnerships want and stick to all speed limits.
The whole industry would quickly collapse....at least until they thought of another rouse.
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible solution to offset Police Forces income would be to allow the Police to keep a some of the income generated from fines as a result of the use of the 10500+ ANPR cameras in the UK.

andrewdwork
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we must have speed (cash) cameras, let's at least have reasonably fair cameras. The average speed concept is at least more considerate of changing conditions than the "spot" speed checks done by van cams.
Time was when to be convicted the police had to follow you for 5/8 mile and your speed had to be consistantly over the limit for a sucessful prosecution.
At 60MPH the laser speed cams do 300 counts in 0.3 seconds. That is over a distance of about 29 feet! I have no way to challenge that, just accept that the gear was working correctly on the day and the operator knew how to drive it properly.
My car is a Renault Laguna 3 with markings of 20,40,60,80 100 MPH and a line on the intervening 10MPH marks. It seems to be almost spot on as well, no 5mph comfort zone like the boss's Ford. Even with the speed limiter set to 30 MPH a down hill slope can give an increase in speed. Eyes off the speedo to do what we should (LOOK AT THE ROAD CONDITIONS) and you can be doing 35 easily. What is the answer? Maybe a bit more leeway or common sense from the police authorities, although I would not hold my breath!
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With 1 in 3 motorists convinced that all three main political parties are anti-motorist....."

So two-thirds of motorists don't think all three main political parties are anti-motorist?
How much does it take to convince them??
asp245
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like the comment - "a tax on the already over burdened motorist". A tax is something that the average person cannot avoid ( legitmately) paying. You can avoid paying the fine and getting the 3 points by not exceeding the speed limit so therefore it is not a tax.
mike4642
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asp I dont like your comment you sound like a right little goody goody bet you vote for Nick Smeg as well
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asp245 wrote:
I dont like the comment - "a tax on the already over burdened motorist". A tax is something that the average person cannot avoid ( legitmately) paying.

Incorrect. Tax avoidance is possible (legally) - you may wish to verify this to your advantage
Wink
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was a GPS site, not Pedants united
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said K13ehr.

I wonder if North Yorks will target the B1257, sometimes known as the Helmsley TT. Bikers beware.

spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr wrote:
I thought this was a GPS site, not Pedants united

This web site's raison d'etre revolves around avoiding the tax levied by cameras and collectors who sit in vans at the side of the road (as mentioned in the report). I wouldn't want anyone to think that tax avoidance is illegal, would you?
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Biker and a Motorhome owner, we need to have limits, I just don't like sneak thieves, (mobile cameras) if they want us to slow down there are better ways of doing it which don't involve me doing a standy on the bike, or sliding everything to the front of the cupboards in the MH.

I much prefer the smile/frown signs to a plain 30 sign, much more visible and they seem to work better too, the kids ask daddy to make it smile, it reminds us all kids have no road sense these days, as it's become illegal to teach them anything which might be considered common sense, like look right, look left, look right again, they just argue that they've looked right once so why do it again, and we think the little darlings are getting a mind of their own, er, no they're just being little smart arses who don't listen and becoming bumper fodder if they're not careful (but that's a different topic) education is the key, not the exam answering techniques being taught nowadays.

If they build long straight roads with nice sweeping bends with good tarmac, where you can see the road ahead for a long way, you will always get a few who will go too fast, and I'm not talking a bit above the speed limit but as fast as possible, you only have to see the teddies and daffodils near stone walls to confirm that point.

What we need to do is get our collective thinking caps on to find a way of slowing things down that we the public find acceptable, as the T0$$3rs in power have not succeeded in the task.

I pointed out on another forum that if the 30 limit was so important why only a single sign, and was shot down as I should know that if it has street lights it's 30 limit, er no it's not actually, it could be anything up to 60 if there are no signs to the contrary, I've driven through very small villages where there is no limit signs, but there are street lights.

Lets have a campaign for more sings especially the 30 ones on the road itself not hidden in some lazy swines front garden and overgrown, it's no good say well if it's this and they have that then you must do whatever, the youth of today does not give a sh1te, they have been taught not to listen, they are more interested in the joint they're rolling a joint, or changing the CD, laughing with their mates, all fine by me, but not while they're driving, and how anyone can drive with that music (if you can call it that) at those volumes is beyond me and should be an offence, and probably is driving without due care anyway.

Going on a bit so I'll stop.

So how would you guys slow down the traffic, but still allow a bit of speed out in the country, but not so much there becomes a shortage of trees and dry stone walls.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr wrote:
I thought this was a GPS site, not Pedants united.

K13ehr wrote:
So how would you guys slow down the traffic, but still allow a bit of speed out in the country, but not so much there becomes a shortage of trees and dry stone walls.

I thought this was a pedants site, not a cracked record Very Happy Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: