Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8450 first impressions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8450 first impressions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilAsh wrote:
I have just purchased a 8450 and I am very happy with it.
I have found no big issues at all so far, and people always comment on how cool/sexy/funky (take your pick) it looks.
Map updates, quick and painless.

My only gripe so far is that the online keyboard is abcdef rather then qwerty. The speaker is loud enough, but as I am partially deaf, I would like it just a little louder.
Pretty minor stuff !

It has already found me time saving new routes on 2 journeys, and saved me from a 6 mile queue at some roadworks (My colleague got stuck in them Laughing Out Loud). Not tried the media stuff, but bluetooth works well.

I love it, no way back to a Tomtom now!

Cheers,
Phil.

PS Thanks to jonandmark for answering a couple of questions prior to my purchase!

No problem, at the moment you can get a qwerty keyboard through a file on a german website. The ABC keyboard layout is very odd as not sure why anyone would use it instead of qwerty.
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The appeal to me is that it sets itself above the rest and finishes it off with style.
It smacks of quality, has a good size screen and is very touch sensitive apparently, in comparison with other navs.
Phil, may I ask did you get a reasonable deal ?, I note a few on Ebay but I'm not confident of the after care set up, maps, warranty etc., especially if there's only a few quid difference.

Con.
PhilAsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Con,

I did get a good deal. 351 delivered. Not from an unknown ebayer, but from a contact through work. The cheapest I have seen otherwise was 389 delivered.
I will definitely be buying the two year live services option soon.

Jonandmark,

I would like to hear more about the qwerty file!

Thanks,
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilAsh wrote:
Con,

I did get a good deal. 351 delivered. Not from an unknown ebayer, but from a contact through work. The cheapest I have seen otherwise was 389 delivered.
I will definitely be buying the two year live services option soon.

Jonandmark,

I would like to hear more about the qwerty file!

Thanks,

Take a look on forum.pocketnavigation.de and use google translator. It does seem a bit of work to get the file on. For the moment I'm putting up with the ABC keyboard.

Con, take a look at pixmania.com they had them at a good price when I got mine. However they don't make it clear that you get EU stock and not UK. BT Shop did have a good price on it as a pre-order months ago but I gave up waiting and got mine from Pixmania
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phil

That's the difference in price I like to see Smile the saving goes toward an extension of the services.

J & M -- I re-call the Pixmania deal, initially I believe the mains chargers were continental pin, I'll keep browsing.
Can you postpone the use of the 'Live' services or is it automatic from the first time of use.

Con.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conjopley wrote:
Hello Phil

That's the difference in price I like to see Smile the saving goes toward an extension of the services.

J & M -- I re-call the Pixmania deal, initially I believe the mains chargers were continental pin, I'll keep browsing.
Can you postpone the use of the 'Live' services or is it automatic from the first time of use.

Con.

Yes they did come with the EU plug and Pixmania forgot to include an adaptor with mine (I didn't bother as I have many mains USB chargers).
I suppose you could postpose Live as it's only activated once you enter a code into the software / Fresh. However not sure as you will need to register your 8450 with Fresh in order to get map updates and software updates.
So in theory you can, but not sure what date the activation would take, I'm certain LIVE takes the date of when you enter the code. You get 3 months free from activating and you get a discount.
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a chuckle !!, checking out prices and looked at Pixmania site and it came up at 347, I thought that's a bl££dy good price but what on earth is LVL, perhaps its a promotional code ??.

ITS LATVIAN LATS Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pixmania is around the £427 + Postage, cannot at the moment see any supplier better than £389.00.

Beats me with the power of the net how some suppliers advertising at a few quid shy of £500 or over, expect to sell any.

Con.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conjopley wrote:

Pixmania is around the £427 + Postage, cannot at the moment see any supplier better than £389.00.

Beats me with the power of the net how some suppliers advertising at a few quid shy of £500 or over, expect to sell any.

Con.

Some places like to rip people off.
BT Shop / Dabs and Amazon did have good prices (but suspect since it being officially available in the UK prices may have gone up).
Not sure what Navigon are selling at themselves.
PhilAsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

When I was looking, Navigon were selling at 399.

I think the activation of Live can be delayed. The date for the subscription starts on the day you enter the code, not the day you register the device via Fresh. You get a 25% discount on the Live services only if you buy within the first 30 days of your 3 month trial. This makes it under 100 for 2 years services. Better value than TomTom or Garmins offering.

Cheers,

Phil.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, just for the record, although you have to buy within 30 days to get the discount, Navigon confirmed to me (a cynical sort of fe**ow!) that the 2 year period DOES begin at the end of the 3-month trial period (ie it's not counted from the date of the purchase) Laughing
PhilAsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk,

Obviously I am not cynical enough! I hadn't yet considered that it wouldn't!

Shocked

Cheers,
Phil.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - that can only mean you haven't ever taken out a warranty extension with Dell! I had a few days 'fun' with them over that! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Razz
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In its day that extended warranty cheekily included the years manufactures cover.

They'll try every trick in the book, although I keep checking for a good price of the 8450, if any of you fella's see it around at an attractive price I'd appreciate the nod should I miss it.

Con.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How proud are you? Navigon have some reconditioned units for sale on their website (None listed in the GB or International Refurb section at the moment, but certainly some on the German site at least) at what seem very good prices. If you were interested you might like to check to see if any 8450s turn up??
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'New Range' being introduced raises the usual question of 'have I just bought a dead duck?' If anyone has been asking themselves that, they might be interested in this quote from Navigon's FaceBook page
Quote:
you asked for updates/upgrades for our 84 series. This is our answer: As you mentioned correct, the 84series is a still a quite new product. We are always having a look on our current clients. So we had in the last month a few upgrades for older devices (eg. 2110max to 4310max / 4310max to 6310 / 7210 to 7310 / 8110 to 8310 etc.). Please be patient and stay our fan: We will keep you updated here)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: