Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom iPhone adds HD Traffic, Local Search & a free map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom iPhone adds HD Traffic, Local Search & a free map
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
Surely it has to calculate the route to know it involves a toll road.
That figures Very Happy Very Happy
sn00p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
sn00p wrote:
One other thing that irks me is the "prompt always" on toll roads, great option, but why the hell does it route for toll roads and then prompt after? It can take a fair amount of time to route and its all wasted if I want to avoid them. It should either prompt before it does a route calculation or they should provide a default option for prompting. I want it to prompt everytime, but 9 times out of 10 I want to avoid toll roads.

Surely it has to calculate the route to know it involves a toll road.

this is the point, it asks after calculating a route that includes toll roads, it then goes and asks you after, it could ask you before calculating the route and avoid toll roads. You'll get prompted every time you plan a route, but it's less annoying IMO than having to plan a route twice.

Horses for courses I guess. I'd rather a prompt that may not be required than a double route calculation.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if I'm missing something here but if you go into Menu/Settings/Route Planning/Toll Roads you can select Avoid/Don't Avoid/Always Ask.

Isn't that what you're after?

Edit: re-read for about the tenth time and finally got it. I assume you meant when selecting 'Always Ask' it only prompts AFTER calculating if you want to avoid them.

I'll go and have my lie down. NURSE!!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion regarding costs etc but no one has taken into account the cost of map updates. From what I've seen so far each time TomTom update the application customers are also getting the latest map updates. Compared with the other TomTom devices you have to pay for map updates, the iPhone version is free.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
the iPhone version is free.

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Wink
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how different the Traffic function is in the US but Apple Thoughts report that the annual cost in the US is $19.99 or £13.
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHC wrote:
I dont know how different the Traffic function is in the US but Apple Thoughts report that the annual cost in the US is $19.99 or £13.

just about to post that myself - bl00dy rip-off Britain again.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a significant differance between the traffic service offered to users in the USA vs the UK, the UK is one of the countries covered by the Live HD traffic which is what you are paying for, in the USA they don't get the Live HD Traffic at the moment so there is a service difference which attracts a different cost - If you don't agree with the charges the answer is quite simple - Don't pay for the service - Mike
mrsmith76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerouting does work just like the PND's, if it detects traffic a small dialogue box opens asking if you want the new route. Green box yes, red box no....simples.

As for the traffic subscription, everyone is comparing HD Traffic to the cheaper alternatives but does anyone know what their sources are? could it just be 'free' TMC data that you are 'paying' for?

HD Traffic in my opinion is the best solution on the market, its not perfect but head and shoulders above anything else and thats why I paid £37.99 for the years subscription....whats that? 10p per day hmmmm think I can live with that rather than getting stuck in a jam!

I've used this for the last 2 days solidly and thinks it is a much improved product in fact I would say its excellent. I've used copilot and Navigon also but this is a more complete product again in my opinion.

Very Happy
sn00p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
Apologies if I'm missing something here but if you go into Menu/Settings/Route Planning/Toll Roads you can select Avoid/Don't Avoid/Always Ask.

Isn't that what you're after?

Edit: re-read for about the tenth time and finally got it. I assume you meant when selecting 'Always Ask' it only prompts AFTER calculating if you want to avoid them.

I'll go and have my lie down. NURSE!!

Exactly. It's semantics really, their "Always Ask" option is actually "Ask", i.e it calculates and then asks if it finds that it's used a toll road.

Always ask should be renamed "Ask" and a new "Always Ask" should be added which, well, always Asks!
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question on the iPhone app's re-routing function...

Does it automatically re-route you if you select that option? The PNDs have that option (well my 740 Live does) and I'd much prefer to be automatically re-routed if I wish...that would be a lot safer. Just imagine trying to press the right manual re-route (yes/no) button at arm's length when you're just about to get to a roundabout in a manual car! I believe that the box clears itself and automatically chooses for you on the 740 live if you haven't responded in time, although I don't know if it chooses yes or no!

I have noticed that at times, the 740 is quite slow to respond to traffic and I'm never sure whether it's actually giving me the very best route or not. Also, if it does give me a better route and the traffic on my original route clears, will it take me back onto that road? I guess I am asking if it continually checks for the best route at all stages of your journey, given the live information coming in every 3 minutes?!
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn00p wrote:
this is the point, it asks after calculating a route that includes toll roads, it then goes and asks you after

I see your point.

Perhaps not such a big issue in the UK where there are very few tolls, but in other countries I would find it helpful to always know that a toll was on the route. Then I could decide whether that was going to help me lots in saving time.

I'm all for flexibility though, so they ought to change this.
SpeedCam wrote:
Interesting discussion regarding costs etc but no one has taken into account the cost of map updates. From what I've seen so far each time TomTom update the application customers are also getting the latest map updates. Compared with the other TomTom devices you have to pay for map updates, the iPhone version is free.

For the worth of the map updates they might as well be free!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:
the iPhone version is free.

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Wink

Yes your reply is SSSHHH and I agree my wording wasn't perfect, but just to make 100% sure its clear, the reference to free was targetted at the map updates and not the iPhone application.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpg1 wrote:
A question on the iPhone app's re-routing function...

Does it automatically re-route you if you select that option?....

I believe that the box clears itself and automatically chooses for you on the 740 live if you haven't responded in time, although I don't know if it chooses yes or no!

I guess I am asking if it continually checks for the best route at all stages of your journey, given the live information coming in every 3 minutes?!

I can only answer for the XL Live, but (apart from iPhone App) I would expect all other PNDs to work the same. My default if I don't tap YES quick enough is to default to NO. When I have selected YES to reroute, the device does ask me again later if/when the next change happens, so it DOES check original route. Heading into London along M4 early morning, I'd get almost constant changes as the rush hour ebbs and flows. I know it's going back to original route simply because I have other devices without HD traffic which stay on the same original route, so I can see when the XL Live diverts and when it goes back again - NOTE - every time, I have to select YES, it doesn't go back to original route unless I accept re-routing again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AlexB1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Same ofr Navigator please Reply with quote

It seem iPhone apps get all the attention. Can't these updates be added to the humble Windows Mobile Navigator? Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: