Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom One XL V3 or XL V3 Live version advice needed.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom One XL V3 or XL V3 Live version advice needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saultee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Tomtom One XL V3 or XL V3 Live version advice needed. Reply with quote

Hi, I am loooking at replacing my Tomtom One XL with a newer version and am unsure what to get. I am looking for advice on the following.

I would like another One XL but am undecided between the XL V3 or the Live version.

Does the Live HD traffic work well or is it more of a gimick? Would I be better off buying the basic version and using the RDS-TMC reciever to get traffice updates?

If I buy the lesser model could I upgrade it to recieve live traffic updates at a later date?

Does the RDS-TMC receiver do the same as traffic master used to do or is it based on local radio traffic?
I will be buying a model with European maps.

Thanks in advance.

Matt.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live devices and HD Traffic are great when they work, there have been a number of issues with no connection since Christmas/ hit and miss connection etc - As is becoming the norm with TomTom these days "Great ideas but they suffer from poor implementation" - Whether its worth paying a subscription for a service that tends to be hit and miss is a very mute point - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XL LIVE is the best TT I have owned since the GO x10 series.

It does what it says on the tin (LIVE Services connection permitting).

HD Traffic is far superior to RDS-TMC traffic.

Google Search is very useful - at first I thought it was a gimmick - but as Dennis"fish&chips"N will testify it is very useful and effectively makes loads of POI categories obsolete.

A bonus of the recent LIVE Services brief outages is that for some of us LIVE services have become free again for a while! A whole lot easier to stomach outages when it is free.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Live Google Search is why I decided to buy the annual subscription. I use it just about every day. It's really useful and it's not TT's fault if the Fish'nChips it navigates to have changed into a wine bar or coffee shop. Nor is it TT's fault if the fishnchips are awful (it's just that dahn sarf they can't make fishnchips like they do oop norf)!

The HD traffic is far superior to RDS-TMC (I have two devices, one with HD, the other with RDS-TMC, so I can compare).

Live cameras are pure rubbish. Fuel prices are very unsatisfactory to some members here, but I have not found them a problem (because I don't use them and the only times I've looked at them to see what others are talking about, they've been reasonably accurate locally).

I agree with Andy that my XL Live IQ Routes (UK & ROI from Halfords - has 2GB internal memory, no space problems) is the best since my GO x00.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Saultee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Very Happy

The XL Live model it is then.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And believe me, Dennis took some convincing initially!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: